Scariest movies of all time?

You know, of all the "scary" movies, the only movie I can think of that I couldn't bear to watch twice was Apocalypse Now. I've watched Oz and Wait Until Dark and the Exorcist, even The Shining, more than once, but I rented Apocalypse Now once to watch it again (it was a really powerful movie, a lot of archetypal symbolism going on and of course, underlying it, "Heart of Darkness." But I couldn't do it. He started up river and I turned it off. Just couldn't do it again.
It wasn't a "horror" film, per se, but it was.

Another scary movie that Anthony Hopkins in was that movie with the bear, The Edge. Bears are scary!

Didn't see it, but I'll tell you one movie he wasn't scary in - The Rite - absolute trash.

You haven't seen The Edge??? It's more of an suspenseful adventure drama, not a horror movie at all. Ya gotta see it, you'll probably like it

Exorcist and The Grudge are my top scary ones. I remember reading that weird "spider walk" the dead lady did in the Grudge was cut out of the Exorcist shown in theaters. I guess at the time it just made it too scary at that time.

Movies like Silence of the Lambs and Orphan are a different type of scare. As creepy as Hannibal in his cell, he was far worse than most can imagine. Orphan was about a woman posing as a little girl, practically dressed up as little bo peep in school, then behind the scenes terrified and threatened each family member.

Slasher movies are boring but the character Michael Meyers kind of still creeps me out.

I've seen couple of versions of The Grudge and they are both scary to me. So far it's my number 1.

You know, of all the "scary" movies, the only movie I can think of that I couldn't bear to watch twice was Apocalypse Now. I've watched Oz and Wait Until Dark and the Exorcist, even The Shining, more than once, but I rented Apocalypse Now once to watch it again (it was a really powerful movie, a lot of archetypal symbolism going on and of course, underlying it, "Heart of Darkness." But I couldn't do it. He started up river and I turned it off. Just couldn't do it again.
Great movie. I re-watched it about a month ago.

Hostel. I don't consider it "scary", but it has an interesting concept that slowly unfolds as the flick progresses. There is a club that pays huge fees for the privilege of being able to torture and murder people who have been abducted for this purpose. The cost depends on the nationality of the victim. American victims are the most pricey!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

War movies are depressing.

Hostel. I don't consider it "scary", but it has an interesting concept that slowly unfolds as the flick progresses. There is a club that pays huge fees for the privilege of being able to torture and murder people who have been abducted for this purpose. The cost depends on the nationality of the victim. American victims are the most pricey!

Those were the sickest movies ever. I hope there aren't really clubs like that.

Exorcist and The Grudge are my top scary ones. I remember reading that weird "spider walk" the dead lady did in the Grudge was cut out of the Exorcist shown in theaters. I guess at the time it just made it too scary at that time.

Movies like Silence of the Lambs and Orphan are a different type of scare. As creepy as Hannibal in his cell, he was far worse than most can imagine. Orphan was about a woman posing as a little girl, practically dressed up as little bo peep in school, then behind the scenes terrified and threatened each family member.

Slasher movies are boring but the character Michael Meyers kind of still creeps me out.

I've seen couple of versions of The Grudge and they are both scary to me. So far it's my number 1.[/

I wasn't prepared for how scary they would be. Even the throaty voice sound creeped me out. Lol

One poll said "The Descent" was the scariest of all time. Claustrophobia and evil humanoids who like to eat you, and those women making that journey are freaking out.

I know these are very mainstream choices, but, for me, the two scariest movies of all time will always be The Exorcist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version). I had never seen The Exorcist before, so, before it was re-released (I think in the 90's) in theaters, I actually bought and read the book. That book was one of the scariest things I've ever read, and I've read a decent amount of Stephen King books.

I would read it in my room at night with only a candle for light. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it. The only other book that was a page turner like that for me was Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Those are the two best books ever written in terms of making me have to flip the page to find out what happens next lol.

I know there are parts of Texas Chainsaw that are campy, but the whole documentary feel of the movie gets me every time.

I also love the original, black and white Night of the Living Dead.

Yes, The Exorcist is the first that comes up to mind. This scared the **** out of me.

Those were the sickest movies ever. I hope there aren't really clubs like that.

If you watch any of those creepy YouTube videos about the dark web, there supposedly are. I would never go on the dark web to confirm though lol.

I know these are very mainstream choices, but, for me, the two scariest movies of all time will always be The Exorcist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version). I had never seen The Exorcist before, so, before it was re-released (I think in the 90's) in theaters, I actually bought and read the book. That book was one of the scariest things I've ever read, and I've read a decent amount of Stephen King books.

I would read it in my room at night with only a candle for light. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it. The only other book that was a page turner like that for me was Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Those are the two best books ever written in terms of making me have to flip the page to find out what happens next lol.

I know there are parts of Texas Chainsaw that are campy, but the whole documentary feel of the movie gets me every time.

I also love the original, black and white Night of the Living Dead.

Yes, The Exorcist is the first that comes up to mind. This scared the **** out of me.

Same. I'm not particularly religious, but the book and movie make for an excellent horror story lol.

Forum List

Back