View attachment 118331
Children of the Corn

The Shining

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Exorcist

Friday the 13th 1 and 2

Phantasm

Amityville Horror

Not necessarily super-scary, but worth a watch is 30 Days of night.
I love Phantasm! It freaked me out in my youth when I first saw it. Very creepy. I may have to look it up on Netflix or Amazon streaming this weekend now that it is on my mind. It has been a long week and I could use a good brain drain !

Phantasm....one of the early, really blood splatter movies.......I remember the commercials...I was too young to actually see it....How about Scanners?
Scanners was GREAT! A guy's head explodes due to psychic energy Projection in the first 5 minutes. Plus, everybody is just so soulless and the music is soulless, electronic stuff. Very creepy!

Geez there has been so many good ones.

In no particular order
1. Jaws
2. The shining
3. 2001 space oddessy
4. Hellraiser
5. Halloween
6. Evil dead
7. Friday the 13th
8. Nightmare on elm street

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
If you thought Jaws was scary, watch the Reef. The second time I watched it I almost had to turn it off, and I knew what was going to happen. The only time I ever almost turned a movie off because it was scary.

The Reef is a good one but people like me who spend a lot of time sailing, scuba, surfing and spear fishing ..... water scenes doesn't bother me that much. I first heard this from my live in house sitter and he told me that he almost pee his pants.

Hanibal Lector is perhaps the most terrifying character ever to appear on screen
Seemingly physically meek and imprisoned in a cell without access to the outside......he still terrifies you while speaking in a low voice and standing without movement
His intelligence terrifies the audience

Sorry.....not even close. The best representation of Hannibal was in the original movie that he appeared in...."Manhunter." The few moments he was on screen were really good......Anthony Hopkiins...not so much....

Anthony Hopkins got a freak'n Oscar for his few minutes on the screen
Hard to do in a genre typically ignored by the academy

He got the Oscar because he's British....

So is Benny Hill

Hopkins was up against weak nominees......Robin Williams....and even Robert De Niro was weak for Cape Fear......then Nick Nolte..for Prince of Tides...come on...he won it because he was British....

64th Academy Awards - Wikipedia

Since you mentioned Robin Williams performance in Fisher King........THAT was a terrifying performance

The sight of Robin William's furry naked body is the stuff of nightmares

The Ring, and the second Ring.

The Shining. The book and the movie creeped me out seriously.

Burnt Offerings. For some reason that one scared the crap out of me.

Oh and Let's Scare Jessica To Death. There's something about that one that does me in.

And the Conjuring, I think that's the one with Tom Cruise' ex wife in it? That one was pretty stinking scary.

The Exorcist was the scariest, imo. I wouldn't let my black cat in the house the night I saw it. It still makes you think, even after all these years.
Another good one was Wait Until Dark. Suspenseful scary.

The Wizard of Oz

the_wizard_of_oz_margaret_hamilton_3.jpg

Why is it that every time a thread about 'the greatest of all time' usually begins and ends with the 'greatest of MY time'?

Of all time means exactly what you might expect it to mean. All time includes movies made before you were.

Last edited:
Children of the Corn was a scary book. I didn't like the movie much.

Silence of the Lambs

Really? You aren't a serious person...are you?

Explain

Silence of the Lambs was in no way a scary movie......it doesn't even rate with the lowest level of scary movie......therefore you are not a serious person on this issue....

Scary doesn't have to mean obvious blood, guts & gore, ya know. What made Silence of the Lambs so scary was it played with your imagination & those dark corners of everyone's sub-conscience.

Another good movie.....try watching Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' during the day and you just happen to look out the window to see the biggest flock of birds on the wires, in the trees and on the ground. Must have been well over a hundred of them out there.......I hid under the bed for over an hour.

Silence of the Lambs

Really? You aren't a serious person...are you?

Explain

Silence of the Lambs was in no way a scary movie......it doesn't even rate with the lowest level of scary movie......therefore you are not a serious person on this issue....

Scary doesn't have to mean obvious blood, guts & gore, ya know. What made Silence of the Lambs so scary was it played with your imagination & those dark corners of everyone's sub-conscience.

Another good movie.....try watching Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' during the day and you just happen to look out the window to see the biggest flock of birds on the wires, in the trees and on the ground. Must have been well over a hundred of them out there.......I hid under the bed for over an hour.
I saw a huge flock like that once when I was living in corn country, and the first thing we said was, THE BIRDS! Scared us silly.

Exorcist and The Grudge are my top scary ones. I remember reading that weird "spider walk" the dead lady did in the Grudge was cut out of the Exorcist shown in theaters. I guess at the time it just made it too scary at that time.

Movies like Silence of the Lambs and Orphan are a different type of scare. As creepy as Hannibal in his cell, he was far worse than most can imagine. Orphan was about a woman posing as a little girl, practically dressed up as little bo peep in school, then behind the scenes terrified and threatened each family member.

Slasher movies are boring but the character Michael Meyers kind of still creeps me out.

Forum List

Back