Saving the world again. Illegal to release balloons in the air.

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Lawmakers in several states consider making balloon releases illegal

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Attempted armed robbery. How about you?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?
Releasing helium balloons in the air.

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.

Is is really any different than any other anti-littering law?

if someone came up and dropped 50 popped balloons in your yard would you be happy about it?

I guess these lawmakers have little real things to do. Maybe we need to reduce their numbers as they have no real work? I say a 50% cut is reasonable. It will reduce budgets also. Maybe get rid of public sector pensions also.

Is is really any different than any other anti-littering law?

if someone came up and dropped 50 popped balloons in your yard would you be happy about it?

Oh please. I clean up burnt fireworks off my grass after every 4th of July. I have to in order to mow the damn thing. Let's see, when was the last time I had to clean up balloons off my lawn??? Hmmmm. NEVER!

I guess these lawmakers have little real things to do. Maybe we need to reduce their numbers as they have no real work? I say a 50% cut is reasonable. It will reduce budgets also. Maybe get rid of public sector pensions also.

These leftists worry about the most innocuous crap I swear. I thought we already saved the world by eliminating plastic straws and styrofoam cups.

PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.
Relax, they're going to let us have hypodermic needles for a song.

What are you here for?

Relax, they're going to let us have hypodermic needles for a song.

Why don't they just hand out balloon maps so people don't walk over them like in liberal SF where they hand out poop maps?

I ask again, is this any different than any other anti-littering law?

Oh please. Do you know how much "litter" balloons make? A cigarette butt is larger than a popped balloon.

It's not about littering, it's about pushing the leftist agenda of saving the environment.

8080500892_a24c223a2d_k.jpg

What are you here for?

As if they had nothing else to do.

I ask again, is this any different than any other anti-littering law?

Oh please. Do you know how much "litter" balloons make? A cigarette butt is larger than a popped balloon.

It's not about littering, it's about pushing the leftist agenda of saving the environment.

and I bitch at people every time I see one of them drop their butt. very little pissess me off more.

Cigarettes butts do not do this though...why is your 5 seconds of happiness as the balloon floats away worth this...

8080500892_a24c223a2d_k.jpg

Forum List

Back