Saving the world again. Illegal to release balloons in the air.

PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Lawmakers in several states consider making balloon releases illegal

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Attempted armed robbery. How about you?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?
Releasing helium balloons in the air.

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.
Littering...those balloons land somewhere....unless if you are willing to tra k them and clean them.

Is is really any different than any other anti-littering law?

if someone came up and dropped 50 popped balloons in your yard would you be happy about it?

Oh please. I clean up burnt fireworks off my grass after every 4th of July. I have to in order to mow the damn thing. Let's see, when was the last time I had to clean up balloons off my lawn??? Hmmmm. NEVER!

I've never had to clean up used heroin needles off my lawn, but it's still pollution to throw used heroin needles on the ground.

How many people are actually letting balloons into the air? Is this a serious littering issue?

I've never had to clean up used heroin needles off my lawn, but it's still pollution to throw used heroin needles on the ground.
How often do you have to clean balloons off your lawn? I have never had to clean balloons off of anything, can't even remember seeing any anywhere...
...but supposing that balloons are an enormous litter problem in your neck of the woods, would you still ban them and be for handing out needles...[I did notice that the law is for the release of balloons and not the use of them]...
... and not that being in the news makes it true but the news has reported many times about needles washing up on beaches and I can assure you that many a user has not cleaned up after him/herself after injecting, not to mention the fact that the stuff being used in needles is not only deadly but a scourge across the national landscape that makes the danger posed by balloons look like, well, childs play.

A few years ago I was involved in organising a balloon race and we got a very polite letter from a wild life charity asking us not to do it. We did it anyway as we were too far advanced with it.

But it was the last one we did. I dont think it was an unreasonable request.

The winning balloon came down in France which is an indication of how far these things fly.

I don't even bother blowing up balloons. I just wrap them around a pigeon's neck.

A few years ago I was involved in organising a balloon race and we got a very polite letter from a wild life charity asking us not to do it. We did it anyway as we were too far advanced with it.

The winning balloon came down in France which is an indication of how far these things fly.

Sounds reasonable on both sides. They were a wildlife charity. Those people traditionally don't like rubber or plastic flying out of the sky. You had a thing organized, and hate the environment. We see how it is.

How many people are actually letting balloons into the air? Is this a serious littering issue?
No of course not,but handing out plastic syringes and injecting heroine into your veins is a bit difficult to run on so balloons and straws are being demonized and proving how easy it is to manipulate some minds...'drugs and hillary good', 'balloons and trump bad', 'now go get em'

I can't see how it is. But you know Democrats. They thrive for the attention and the show.

"Folks, liberals measure success by intention. Conservatives measure success by results."
Rush Limbaugh

PORTLAND, Maine — The tradition of releasing balloons at weddings, birthdays and memorials may soon get deflated by lawmakers in more than half a dozen states.

Critics say the helium-filled balloons pollute the environment, and threaten birds and other wildlife when they fall to earth.

“People don’t really realize that it’s littering. That’s why we want to bring attention to this,” said state Rep. Lydia Blume, who’s supporting a balloon bill in Maine. “It’s a common sense thing.”

Nationwide, there’s a growing awareness of the problem, and it has energized legislation in state governments. Bills to limit the intentional release of large numbers of balloons are being aired in legislatures in Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, in addition to Maine, said Jennifer Schultz of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

I guess they're not going to stop until they ruin everybody's fun. I can hear the talk in jail now:

What are you here for?
Felonious assault. How about you at the end of the bench. What are you here for?

When all you legislatures have to do is contemplate goofy laws like this, it's time to elect other people.

And they all move away from the balloon guy, because that shit is hard core.

Sounds reasonable on both sides. They were a wildlife charity. Those people traditionally don't like rubber or plastic flying out of the sky. You had a thing organized, and hate the environment. We see how it is.
Their spiel was about turtles but we dont have them in the UK or northern Europe. When we looked in to it we decided to do different things,

if someone came up and dropped 50 popped balloons in your yard would you be happy about it?

Oh please. I clean up burnt fireworks off my grass after every 4th of July. I have to in order to mow the damn thing. Let's see, when was the last time I had to clean up balloons off my lawn??? Hmmmm. NEVER!

Is there a point behind your reply, because if so, I'm not following it. I never had to clean up either.

Is there a point behind your reply, because if so, I'm not following it. I never had to clean up neither.

are you against laws that make it illegal to throw used heroin needles on the ground?

Their spiel was about turtles but we dont have them in the UK or northern Europe. When we looked in to it we decided to do different things,

You don't have turtles in the UK? Heathens. :mad:

What are you here for?

Littering...those balloons land somewhere....unless if you are willing to tra k them and clean them.

You're going to find ten times more garbage on any given highway in the US. Balloons are not that big of a deal.

Forum List

Back