Santorum: There's 'No Such Thing' As A Liberal Christian

In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."
More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

He assumes that in order to be a Christian, one must AGREE WITH everything that is written in the Bible.

He fails to understand that the only thing that is required to be a Christian, is to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God.

I thought Roe v. Wade was the law of the land.
He already cut out Protestants from Christianity. HIS religion gets smaller daily.

even Protestants should be pro-life....

Psalm 139:13-14 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Job 31:15 Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?

Matthew 25:40 The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Matthew 25:45 He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

All Christians should be pro-life | Eternity Matters

In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian
I remembered, Santorum has said he misspoke & does question the President's beliefs.

there are no pro-life Democrats in the Senate.....last year when members of the Senate voted on whether taxpayer money should continue flowing to the Planned Parenthood abortion business to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually, pro-life advocates had no friends in the Democratic Party.

not even 1...

The United States Congress doesn't make up the whole of "Democrats".

how come ALL those MANY (sarcasm) pro-life Dems are not being represented in the Senate......?

Well, probably because the majority of those voting for their Senators want who they elect. Sorry, but there are simply not enough of people like you to vote in enough pro-life Senators (Republican or Democrat) to get rid of legalized abortion. Even when Republicans have had majorities and the WH, legalized abortion has NOT gone away.

Please someone put a fork in Santorum. It's too late for a sock.

I disagree with that. I think he now has the inside track to the GOP nod. Of course he has NO chance in the general. But I think that he is slowly and surely supplanting Mitt as the annointed one.

CAN IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS?

I remembered, Santorum has said he misspoke & does question the President's beliefs.

technically BO could be a Christian.....he could also be using Christianity as a cover.....kinda like some of those marxist black liberation guys....

Anthony Bradley of the Christian Post interprets that the language of "economic parity" and references to "mal-distribution" as nothing more than channeling the views of Karl Marx. He believes James Cone and Cornel West have worked to incorporate Marxist thought into the black church, forming an ethical framework predicated on a system of oppressor class versus a victim much like Marxism.

Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago is the church most frequently cited by press accounts, and by Cone as the best example of a church formally founded on the vision of Black liberation theology.[17] The 2008 Jeremiah Wright controversy, over differing interpretations of some of his sermons and statements, caused then-Senator Barack Obama to distance himself from his former pastor.[18][19]

Stanley Kurtz of the National Review wrote about the perceived differences with 'conventional American Christianity'. He quoted black-liberation theologian Dr. Obery M. Hendricks Jr.: "According to Hendricks, 'many good church-going folk have been deluded into behaving like modern-day Pharisees and Sadducees when they think they’re really being good Christians.' Unwittingly, Hendricks says, these apparent Christians have actually become 'like the false prophets of Ba’al.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_liberation_theology

Last edited:

Once again, Santorum tells the unpopular truth.

You either believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, or you don't.

If you don't believe part of it, why should you believe any of it?

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't have been then you also believe that God couldn't protect His own book, therefore, He is either not all-knowing or not all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that He did something as enormous and glorious as send His only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly life to wash away the sins of man?

So, how does a Christian believe that miracle, but not believe that God has the power to protect the Word of God?

Last edited:

Once again, Santorum tells the unpopular truth.

You either believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, or you don't.

If you don't believe part of it, why should you believe any of it?

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't gave been then you also believe that God couldn't protect his own book, therefore, he is either not all-knowing or all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that he did something as enormous and glorious as send his only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, his the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly to wash away the sins of man?

So, how does a Christian believe that miracle, but not believe that God has the power to protect the Word of God?

YOU can believe that.

And SANTORUM can believe that.

And the hundred million Americans that you and Santorum have just kicked out of Christianity can decide that they don't want someone as judgmental and exclusionary as Santorum to ever take up occupancy in the White House.

Easy Peasy.

“Can we finally dispense with the myth of the pro-life Democrat?” he said. “In the Senate last night, three “pro-life” Democrats voted in lockstep with America’s Official Abortion Party to maintain federal funding to Planned Parenthood in a stand alone vote.”

“There was nothing to camouflage or obfuscate the issue,” Benson continued. “In case you’ve forgotten, Planned Parenthood is the nation’s number one provider of abortions. Ninety-seven percent of women who enter its doors are no longer pregnant when they exit, and almost 40 percent of the group’s revenues stem from abortions. It was founded in racism (remnants of which remain alive and well today), it is systemically corrupt, and its moral degradation reaches far beyond its abortion-related services.”

Can Democrats be pro-life? Are there any pro-life Democrats? « Wintery Knight

Since federal funding of abortions is illegal, what was the funding actually for? Or did you not bother to find out?

Forum List

Back