Santorum: There's 'No Such Thing' As A Liberal Christian

In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."
More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

Once again, Santorum tells the unpopular truth.

You either believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, or you don't.

If you don't believe part of it, why should you believe any of it?

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't have been then you also believe that God couldn't protect His own book, therefore, He is either not all-knowing or not all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that He did something as enormous and glorious as send His only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly life to wash away the sins of man?

So, how does a Christian believe that miracle, but not believe that God has the power to protect the Word of God?

According to the Bible, the earth was created in 6 days and is ~6000 years old, how old do you believe it is?

The Bible says life began in an enchanted forest, what say you? :eusa_eh:

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't gave been then you also believe that God couldn't protect his own book, therefore, he is either not all-knowing or all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that he did something as enormous and glorious as send his only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, his the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly to wash away the sins of man?

So, how does a Christian believe that miracle, but not believe that God has the power to protect the Word of God?

YOU can believe that.

And SANTORUM can believe that.

And the hundred million Americans that you and Santorum have just kicked out of Christianity can decide that they don't want someone as judgmental and exclusionary as Santorum to ever take up occupancy in the White House.

Easy Peasy.

Neither Santorum nor I kicked anyone out...they left.

Is it judgmental to state a fact?

Last edited:

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't gave been then you also believe that God couldn't protect his own book, therefore, he is either not all-knowing or all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that he did something as enormous and glorious as send his only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, his the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly to wash away the sins of man?

YOU can believe that.

And the hundred million Americans that you and Santorum have just kicked out of Christianity can decide that they don't want someone as judgmental and exclusionary as Santorum to ever take up occupancy in the White House.

Easy Peasy.

Neither Santorum nor I didn't kick anyone out...they left.

However you wish to frame it, 100 million Americans can still decide that Santorum's willingness to talk this way openly about his would-be constituents is incompatible with the title President of the United States.

I'm politically to the right of the people Santorum will have to win over to win the general.

And all I can say is good luck with that.

If you believe that something was slipped in there that shouldn't have been then you also believe that God couldn't protect His own book, therefore, He is either not all-knowing or not all-powerful.

If you don't believe God has the power to do something so small as protect his own book, how can you possible believe that He did something as enormous and glorious as send His only son to the Virgin Mary to live as a man and die for your sins?

Isn't that the definition of a Christian...one who believes that God sent the Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God, to teach His children the path of righteousness and sacrifice His earthly life to wash away the sins of man?

According to the Bible, the earth was created in 6 days and is ~6000 years old, how old do you believe it is?

The Bible says life began in an enchanted forest, what say you? :eusa_eh:

On what "day" was the sun created...kind of hard to have a earthy day with no sun, Gen 1:16.

The Bible doesn't say that life began in an enchanted forest.

Life covered the entire earth, Gen 1:11.

YOU can believe that.

Easy Peasy.

However you wish to frame it, 100 million Americans can still decide that Santorum's willingness to talk this way openly about his would-be constituents is incompatible with the title President of the United States.

I'm politically to the right of the people Santorum will have to win over to win the general.

100 million American are pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage Christians?

And they are going to vote for Romney, who claims to be both anti abortion, anti-gay marriage, supports overturning Roe v. Wade and repeal Obamacare?

Quell your faux outrage.

You are either living in a dream world or believe Romney is a liar and secretly approves of abortion, gay marriage and Obamacare.

Either way, the outcome is the same.

Last edited:

And they are going to vote for Romney, who claims to be both anti abortion, anti-gay marriage, supports overturning Roe v. Wade and repeal Obamacare?

Quell your faux outrage.

You are either living in a dream world or believe Romney is a liar and secretly approves of abortion and gay marriage.

100 million Americans either don't fit into your narrow definition of Christianity and/or believe in the inclusive American ideal which entails at a minimum not running around and telling people they aren't Christian when they believe they are.

That is unseemly behavior for a presidential candidate. It is un-American. We are a melting pot. That includes a melting pot of religions. And no, most of America does not believe the way you do, and we do not appreciate being told by our potential president that our beliefs are wrong.

The outcome is that Obama wins the election.

In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

Sorry to be a little late to the conversation, but I disrespectfully disagree with Santorum. The bottom line is that we live in a free country. It's up to us as Christians to be PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for our own salvation. It's the responsibility of a FREE society to allow others to live their lives as they see fit. Christians don't get to set the rules for the rest of our society....nor do Muslims, the Jewish, Hindus or any other religion. A free and open society means that any and all have the right to practice their religion(or lack thereof) as they see fit.

That means that I, as a Christian... need to swallow some pride and perhaps a bitter pill or two for the sake of our country's population as a whole. Which I am very much OK with. No one is telling Christians how to live their own personal lives. However, it seems that the Christian Right has no problem with forcing the rest of the population to kneel to their agenda, no matter what those people's beliefs are.

That is not the ideology of a free society... that is a theocracy... which is what we are dealing with in the Middle East and has no relation to a Free Society. Santorum is a freak who would be more dangerous to our Freedoms and our country than ANYTHING that the right thinks Obama has done over the past four years.

Jesus was a liberal. He would never say "Let him die" or applaud executions. He helped children AFTER they were born.

AWOOOGAH!!! Conservatives Start To Sound The Alarm Over Rick Santorum’s Extremism | TPM2012

DRUDGE: SANTORUM'S SATAN WARNING

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America | rightwingwatch.org

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube

It’s as if we’re being assailed by a deranged holy man in a sweater vest.

Quell your faux outrage.

You are either living in a dream world or believe Romney is a liar and secretly approves of abortion and gay marriage.

100 million Americans either don't fit into your narrow definition of Christianity and/or believe in the inclusive American ideal which entails at a minimum not running around and telling people they aren't Christian when they believe they are.

That is unseemly behavior for a presidential candidate. It is un-American. We are a melting pot. That includes a melting pot of religions. And no, most of America does not believe the way you do, and we do not appreciate being told by our potential president that our beliefs are wrong.

My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20
If I must to choose between the truth and the possibility of losing...I choose the truth.
And you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free. John 8:32

Last edited:

How dare he call other people's faith into question or suggest that his unique interpretation of the scriptures is the correct one. What kind of dangerous megalomaniac would even say that? An evangelical prick, what else? He needs to worry about the peril to his own soul that seeking wealth and power causes, that's in the bible, I guess he rejects that part.

Quell your faux outrage.

Well things will get even hotter up and coming. The head of the SBC, Rev. Bryant Wright has already aligned Mormonism with Islam.

Religion / faith is going to be an issue in the election whether we like it or not.

Political Insider

Denis O’Hayer of WABE (90.1FM) has posted this interview with Wright. Some excerpts:

”It is a cult, in the sense that it does not adhere to what would be traditional or orthodox biblical teaching. It’s really been kind of comical at the outrage of some folks when it’s called a cult….

“But the fact is, if a guy from Exxon said Apple was not in the energy business, everybody would understand what they were talking about. The only thing Apple and Exxon have in common is that they’re both corporations.

“Mormon and Christianity have in common that they’re two of the world’s religions, but the teaching from biblical or traditional Christianity is so different – that’s why it would be classified as a cult.”

On whether Baptist voters should take Romney’s religion into consideration at the polls:

”I think one thing we want to remember about the presidential election – I think Herman Cain is the one who made this remark – is we’re not electing a theologian-in-chief, we’re electing a commander-in-chief….

“It’s kind of like when I get on a plane to fly to L.A. I’m very thankful if the pilot’s a Christian, but I really hope he can fly the plane, most of all.”

And why not just call Latter Day Saints part of a larger Christian tent?

”They’re not a part of the big tent if you look at the founders. When you look at the life of Joseph Smith, he really had more in common with Mohammad than he did with Jesus Christ. Both men saw themselves as bringing a purification to what had been distorted in Judaism and Christianity [--a heretical position, Wright later declared]….

“Both of them were polygamists and taught polygamy and practiced polygamy. There’s some really radical differences. Both brought into existence new books of authority – the Book of Mormon, the Koran, versus the Bible being our authority.”

Santorum: The Democratic Party Is About ‘Homosexuality’

By Fatima Najiy

During a 2008 “Press & People of Faith in Politics” forum, Rick Santorum described to the Democratic Party as “the party of Woodstock,” and accused lawmakers of “prey[ing] upon our most basic primal lusts.” Asked to name a couple of words he’d heard attached to religion and politics in his years in the Senate, Santorum listed “moderate,” “ultra-conservative,” “liberal,” and “zealous” before launching into a full-on tirade against Democrats:

“Woodstock is the great American orgy. This is who the Democratic Party has become. They have become the party of Woodstock. The prey upon our most basic primal lusts, and that’s sex. And the whole abortion culture, it’s not about life. It’s about sexual freedom. That’s what it’s about. Homosexuality. It’s about sexual freedom.”​
Of course Santorum will position Republicans as the “anti-homosexuality” party if he wins the nomination and has pledged to annul all same-sex marriages and personally campaign in every state against marriage equality.

Santorum: The Democratic Party Is About 'Homosexuality' | ThinkProgress

Well, Ricky, I'll take Woodstock over Jonestown any day.

Quell your faux outrage.

My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20
If I must to choose between the truth and the possibility of losing...I choose the truth.
And you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free. John 8:32

Too bad you're forcing the choice.

A president is not a preacher-in-chief.

It's not his job to critique the doctrines and practices of religious Americans.

You lose not because you chose between the truth and losing, but because the right has lost sight of the proper role of government just as surely as the left has. The right offers no argument that they would do better than Obama.

Forum List

Back