Santorum: There's 'No Such Thing' As A Liberal Christian

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

This is why the Republican Party is 90% white and mostly Christian. I don't believe there are any liberals in the Republican Party. We know there are conservatives in the Democratic Party. They are called Blue Dogs and they are the reason Democrats never had the "total control" Republicans keep insisting they had. It was never there.

"To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

I would pay hard money to see Santorum say that in an inner city black church. I would stand in line all night to buy the tickets.

No. Seriously. I would. Real money. I'd pay. I will go to the ATM right now. Not kidding.

Last edited:
You can't be Christian unless you believe the Bible literally?

I thought accepting Jesus Christ as your personal saviour was what made you a Christian.

Am I wrong? Seriously, speak up.

After Rick Santorum ignited controversy over the weekend by saying President Barack Obama has a "phony" and "different theology" that's not "based on the Bible," and amid ongoing discomfort among some politicians and religious figures over Mitt Romney's Mormon faith, a coalition of major religious organizations is calling on presidential candidates to keep religion out of politics.

Good luck with that, the right will never surrender what it perceives to be its most important political weapon. Democrats and republicans are on very similar ground with regard to fiscal and public policy; attacking democrats as ‘immoral’ and ‘godless’ is all the right really has.

there's no such thing as a pro-life Democrat...

Sure there is. I know quite a few.

I've worked for some Democrat politicians that were very pro-life.

there are no pro-life Democrats in the Senate.....last year when members of the Senate voted on whether taxpayer money should continue flowing to the Planned Parenthood abortion business to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually, pro-life advocates had no friends in the Democratic Party.

not even 1...

“Can we finally dispense with the myth of the pro-life Democrat?” he said. “In the Senate last night, three “pro-life” Democrats voted in lockstep with America’s Official Abortion Party to maintain federal funding to Planned Parenthood in a stand alone vote.”

“There was nothing to camouflage or obfuscate the issue,” Benson continued. “In case you’ve forgotten, Planned Parenthood is the nation’s number one provider of abortions. Ninety-seven percent of women who enter its doors are no longer pregnant when they exit, and almost 40 percent of the group’s revenues stem from abortions. It was founded in racism (remnants of which remain alive and well today), it is systemically corrupt, and its moral degradation reaches far beyond its abortion-related services.”

Can Democrats be pro-life? Are there any pro-life Democrats? « Wintery Knight

Last edited:
Santorum is Opus Dei...

Rick Santorum sent two of his sons to a Washington, D.C. all-boys school affiliated with Opus Dei, the Catholic group whose members were portrayed as sinisterly weird in the sensationalistic Da Vinci Code but in reality only engage in some mild self-mutilation, "nothing traumatic," as the group's website says.

Santorum went to Rome in 2002 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Opus Dei's founding, and he belongs to the St. Catherine of Siena Parish, a favorite of Opus Dei.

Last edited:
there's no such thing as a pro-life Democrat...

there are no pro-life Democrats in the Senate.....last year when members of the Senate voted on whether taxpayer money should continue flowing to the Planned Parenthood abortion business to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually, pro-life advocates had no friends in the Democratic Party.

not even 1...

“Can we finally dispense with the myth of the pro-life Democrat?” he said. “In the Senate last night, three “pro-life” Democrats voted in lockstep with America’s Official Abortion Party to maintain federal funding to Planned Parenthood in a stand alone vote.”

“There was nothing to camouflage or obfuscate the issue,” Benson continued. “In case you’ve forgotten, Planned Parenthood is the nation’s number one provider of abortions. Ninety-seven percent of women who enter its doors are no longer pregnant when they exit, and almost 40 percent of the group’s revenues stem from abortions. It was founded in racism (remnants of which remain alive and well today), it is systemically corrupt, and its moral degradation reaches far beyond its abortion-related services.”

The United States Congress doesn't make up the whole of "Democrats".

not even 1...

how come ALL those MANY (sarcasm) pro-life Dems are not being represented in the Senate......?

Last edited:

not even 1...

how come ALL those pro-life Dems are not being represented in the Senate......?

How should I know?

That doesn't mean they don't exist.

Forum List

Back