Rubio

RedTeamTex

Aug 27, 2015
Central Texas
I can't say I'm 100% solidified in my support, but it's getting pretty darn close.

I've got nothing against Jeb, but unfortunately, he seems to have some deficits in campaigning leadership his brother excelled in. His strategy of letting the hot air balloons have their day is sound. I trust his rolodex is formidable enough to staff an administration well enough and the iside (iSideWith.com) website says we're 88% in tune. But he's blowing it. Maybe he's playing possum and if so maybe his timing his perfect. But I'm not so sure. His flubs have been novice and unprepared. The petulant vibe he's putting out is painting him into the popular mythic corner of "entitled royal" he can ill-afford. Maybe he cut the right deals on the golf course to leverage a big spring in a couple of months that chokes out the rest of the field. But I'm not so sure. It looks to me he's going to have to go more negative to pull it off than he can really afford. I think he should have been more prepared for the press and less frustrated with the party that he's asking to govern.

Walker was the perfect candidate on paper. He's got real executive skills in the hot seat. He has a remarkable record of affecting real policy and staying on the bull. But he showed up to the big stage unprepared. He squandered his mystique by flopping around like a fish on policy positions one would expect a prospective leader of the free world to have given some thought to beforehand. I could forgive him the first couple of times, but this past round of refining your policy and talking points in public view is starting to feel insulting. Now he's mouthing off about China in a way that reminds me of Romney's hyperbolic naiveté 4 years ago. (To his credit, his ‘China’ article in the Journal this morning didn’t self-inflict any wounds.) I still like him and his future, but I’m not seeing him ready to be president.

Rand Paul is right about a lot. He has a vision and skill in leading national attention to that which deserves it. He's on the front lines of pushing out the big tent, where I hope we follow him even if it takes decades to earns returns on the effort. But this Senator needs some executive experience before he can sit in the big chair with a full deck of cards to play for a successful presidency.

Perry & Jindal deserves more of a chance than they're getting, but the window for a redemptive breakout has probably already closed. The same may be said of most of the rest of the field--whose careers and qualifications deserve more attention than I'll give them here.

The novelties and rabble rousers come and go. (Some I'll be happier to see go.)

Folks, it's Rubio.

Yeah he's a Senator and a freshman one at that. Here on the red team that's a minus, not a plus. But he's handled his time there with seriousness and sobriety. I'd much prefer a governor with executive experience, but the fact is nobody's eye is the on the ball and has the skill to point to it as good as he does. He knows how to speak like foreign ministries are listening to him. He stuck his neck out on immigration reform, and even those of us who disagree with the legislation have to admire how deftly he respected the opposition, listened to the objection with fairness, took his lumps, and is capable of championing a winning coalition today. He's incisive, measured, and clear. He's a consensus builder with an eye on governing, not just hiding behind polarized politics and waiting for his GQ cover. He demonstrates an attitude of respect and responsibility greater than any governor in the race.

I keep waiting for a flub and he just won't give me one. When he does, I'll rethink my position. I haven't sized up the spouses yet and they matter. But at this point, my gut tells me the rest of the competition can't catch up.

If a pollster calls me up before the next debate, I'll say "Fiorina" so maybe she can get on the big stage.

But I'm saying, absent some shocking scandal (i.e. greater than a speeding ticket every few years)--it's Rubio for the win.

I can't say I'm 100% solidified in my support, but it's getting pretty darn close.

I've got nothing against Jeb, but unfortunately, he seems to have some deficits in campaigning leadership his brother excelled in. His strategy of letting the hot air balloons have their day is sound. I trust his rolodex is formidable enough to staff an administration well enough and the iside (iSideWith.com) website says we're 88% in tune. But he's blowing it. Maybe he's playing possum and if so maybe his timing his perfect. But I'm not so sure. His flubs have been novice and unprepared. The petulant vibe he's putting out is painting him into the popular mythic corner of "entitled royal" he can ill-afford. Maybe he cut the right deals on the golf course to leverage a big spring in a couple of months that chokes out the rest of the field. But I'm not so sure. It looks to me he's going to have to go more negative to pull it off than he can really afford. I think he should have been more prepared for the press and less frustrated with the party that he's asking to govern.

Walker was the perfect candidate on paper. He's got real executive skills in the hot seat. He has a remarkable record of affecting real policy and staying on the bull. But he showed up to the big stage unprepared. He squandered his mystique by flopping around like a fish on policy positions one would expect a prospective leader of the free world to have given some thought to beforehand. I could forgive him the first couple of times, but this past round of refining your policy and talking points in public view is starting to feel insulting. Now he's mouthing off about China in a way that reminds me of Romney's hyperbolic naiveté 4 years ago. (To his credit, his ‘China’ article in the Journal this morning didn’t self-inflict any wounds.) I still like him and his future, but I’m not seeing him ready to be president.

Rand Paul is right about a lot. He has a vision and skill in leading national attention to that which deserves it. He's on the front lines of pushing out the big tent, where I hope we follow him even if it takes decades to earns returns on the effort. But this Senator needs some executive experience before he can sit in the big chair with a full deck of cards to play for a successful presidency.

Perry & Jindal deserves more of a chance than they're getting, but the window for a redemptive breakout has probably already closed. The same may be said of most of the rest of the field--whose careers and qualifications deserve more attention than I'll give them here.

Folks, it's Rubio.

Yeah he's a Senator and a freshman one at that. Here on the red team that's a minus, not a plus. But he's handled his time there with seriousness and sobriety. I'd much prefer a governor with executive experience, but the fact is nobody's eye is the on the ball and has the skill to point to it as good as he does. He knows how to speak like foreign ministries are listening to him. He stuck his neck out on immigration reform, and even those of us who disagree with the legislation have to admire how deftly he respected the opposition, listened to the objection with fairness, took his lumps, and is capable of championing a winning coalition today. He's incisive, measured, and clear. He's a consensus builder with an eye on governing, not just hiding behind polarized politics and waiting for his GQ cover. He demonstrates an attitude of respect and responsibility greater than any governor in the race.

I keep waiting for a flub and he just won't give me one. When he does, I'll rethink my position. I haven't sized up the spouses yet and they matter. But at this point, my gut tells me the rest of the competition can't catch up.

If a pollster calls me up before the next debate, I'll say "Fiorina" so maybe she can get on the big stage.

But I'm saying, absent some shocking scandal (i.e. greater than a speeding ticket every few years)--it's Rubio for the win.

I think he'll make a great VP, and with that experience, a good shot at president down the road.

But not at the moment

I would be happy with Rubio at the top of the to ticket. Actually I would be happy with Kasich, Fiorina, Cruz, Walker, Paul, Rubio, Carson and Christie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there was a time not so long ago when you'd be right--his resume would have been too light for consideration without his father being Joe Kennedy. But hasn't the bar been steadily dropping for a long time? Rubio's resume outshines that of our current president when he came into office, after all. One of our top-tier candidates didn't even turn the college tassel at all and he's getting a free pass on it. I'm just not seeing the competition selling their case or being in a position to do so better than MR can through to the finish line next March.

I'm under no delusion MR wouldn't have a formidable learning curve hitting office. But let's put in perspective, that curve is hard on even the most seasoned (save perhaps GHWB). In this case, though, I think it evens out. Most pols have to learn to overcome the managerial clumsiness caused by their own egos. MR is a really fast learner and humble enough not to get in his own way figuring out the levers.

Rubio would be great, maybe my top pick. He's young but older than JFK was.

JFK was nearly as amateurish as Obama, but his assassination (and Jackie's Camelot BS) saved his reputation. Rubio would be a great VP choice, but we don't need another OJT President.

Rubio would be great, maybe my top pick. He's young but older than JFK was.

JFK was nearly as amateurish as Obama, but his assassination (and Jackie's Camelot BS) saved his reputation. Rubio would be a great VP choice, but we don't need another OJT President.
Being a governor helps but it's no guarantee of outcome. I think you either rise to the occasion, or like obama, you don't.

I'm not concerned about Rubio's youth. He's dynamic and smart and he's ready now. He's in his 40s, what's a few more years going to do except turn his hair gray? He's ready. I'm thoroughly enjoying Trump and his complete disregard for PC and his message to make America strong again. It just seems unlikely he could win over the GOP Kingmakers in the end.

Any man of small stature and a baby face.....who wants to be POTUS....ought to know better than to be photographed sitting in an oversized chair.

In Franklin, Rubio chats and chews at local businesses - Political Monitor

The dude looks like a 6 year old. His handlers need some more experience.
It would also help if the candidate they're 'managing' wasn't wrong on most, if not all, the issues.
The Dim's candidate of choice may end up with an orange jumpsuit. Poking fun at people with grown up ideas for the country won't help her look better.

Rubio has grown up ideas? Cool. Are they the same ideas he had 6 months ago? Or...has he had a change of heart? Help me out.....list his grown up ideas. I can't wait.

h
Any man of small stature and a baby face.....who wants to be POTUS....ought to know better than to be photographed sitting in an oversized chair.

In Franklin, Rubio chats and chews at local businesses - Political Monitor

The dude looks like a 6 year old. His handlers need some more experience.
It would also help if the candidate they're 'managing' wasn't wrong on most, if not all, the issues.

Why bring up Hillary?

the thread is about Rubio

Can't say if I'll vote for the Republican nominee, but it would have to be someone like Senator Rubio or Governor Bush. Maybe Governor Kasich.
:welcome:

Thanks, Creme! I think you post illustrates an important point. I hope we make the party tent big, secure, and cozy for you, next November and more to come. And I agree with Mike...I think he's ready.

I would like to see weighted polling, i.e., 1st, 2nd & 3rd choices. The field is too fractured right now.

Folks, it's Rubio.

I think he'll make a great VP, and with that experience, a good shot at president down the road.

But not at the moment

If Republicans really want to win, the ticket would be Kasich/Rubio. That ticket could give any Democrat a very tough time.

If Republicans really want to win, the ticket would be Kasich/Rubio. That ticket could give any Democrat a very tough time.

Maybe, IF they can start addressing the Political Correctness BS that is poisoning our society. Otherwise, it's Trump/Carson.

Folks, it's Rubio.

But not at the moment

Rubio is just one more sorry excuse for a presidential candidate, not to mention for a human being, among the Republican lineup of theocrats, bigots and oligarchists. On the surface, he give the appearance of being more rational than the likes of Cruz and the wild eyed Huckabee, and he does not have the baggage of Bush, nor the crassness of Trump. Indeed, he is a cut above the walking dead persona of Carson, and perhaps more competent than Christie ( but then again who isn’t) However, a little digging reveals that he is wrong on most of the issues: Economic, social and foreign and domestic policy. If he is to be the standard bearer of what was supposed to be the new, inclusive, rebranded Republican Party, he falls way short of the mark.

On Social Issues:

Marco Rubio: Campaigns with NOM, Anti-Equality Organizations http://www.hrc.org/2016RepublicanFacts/marco-rubio

Marriage: Rubio has consistently opposed marriage equality. He’s made a special point to correct press reports that suggest he is open to marriage equality. And he even thanked Speaker John Boehner for spending taxpayer dollars to protect the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

Discrimination: As a candidate, Rubio said he opposed making sexual orientation a protected class under civil rights laws. Despite claiming he opposed discrimination, Rubio voted against ENDA, which would give LGBT Americans protection from discrimination in the workplace. And he threatened to oppose his own immigration bill if it included same-sex couples.

Rubio Spoke Out Against Allowing Same-Sex Couples From Adopting, Saying Children “Shouldn’t Be Forced To Be Part Of A Social Experiment

Rubio Said He Would Be Against His Own Immigration Bill If It Gave Same-Sex Couples Rights. According to CNN, Senator Rubio said when discussing his immigration bill, “If this bill has in it something that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill.

On Abortion

Marco Rubio Reiterates His Opposition To Rape Or Incest Exceptions Submitted by Kyle Mantyla on Monday, 8/17/2015 1:44 pm Sen. Marco Rubio called into Glenn Beck's radio program today and reiterated his position that abortion ought to be outlawed, including in cases of rape or incest, predicting that within 100 years, people will look back on legal abortion with disbelief. - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-reiterates-his-opposition-rape-or-incest-exceptions#sthash.XJriZN1m.dpuf

More on immigration:

After winning his U.S. Senate seat with Tea Party support in 2010, Rubio tried to follow through on his pledge to work towards a bipartisan bill on immigration reform, helping to lead the efforts of the so-called “Gang of Eight.” But many conservative activists turned against Rubio for daring to sponsor a bill that drew broad support from his colleagues in the Senate and the American people at large. In the end, under pressure from the party’s far-right flank, House Republicans blocked the “Gang of Eight” bill, failing to even put the reform legislation up for a vote. - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-tea-partys-prodigal-son-returns#sthash.wio4WydR.dpuf

Rubio Moves Right on Immigration, Says He's Open to Deporting “Dreamers” Rubio Moves Right on Immigration, Says He's Open to Deporting ‘Dreamers’

By Rob Garver November 4, 2015 5:08 PM

He was asked about the Obama administration’s Delayed Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, which allows individuals brought into the country illegally as minors to go to school and work in the country they have grown up in without fear that they will be rounded up and deported.

It’s a program that Rubio had previously said would have to end eventually, but with the caveat that a broad immigration reform bill would have to be passed first – a position that has earned him the anger of many in the Republican base, who view any relaxation or forbearance related to the enforcement of immigration laws as an unacceptable form of “amnesty.”

On Wednesday, Rubio appeared to modify his position to bring him more in line with the hard right members of his party. DACA “will have to end at some point,” he said, adding that in an ideal world that would be preceded by the passage of immigration reform.

On climate change

The senator also boasted that he does not accept the consensus among climate scientists that human activities have an influence on climate change. “I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it,” Rubio said. “I don’t agree with the notion that some are putting out there, including scientists, that somehow, there are actions we can take today that would actually have an impact on what’s happening in our climate. - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-tea-partys-prodigal-son-returns#sthash.wio4WydR.dpuf

On pandering to the right with religious freedom rhetoric:

In addition, Rubio has kowtowed to the Religious Right by mocking the separation of church and state, warning of the purported loss of religious liberty under Obama, lambasting abortion rights, blocking a gay judicial nominee, and denouncing the legalization of same-sex marriage in his home state. He has also embraced the Religious Right’s victimhood rhetoric, insisting that gay rights advocates preach “intolerance” and warning that American society is marginalizing Christians. - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-tea-partys-prodigal-son-returns#sthash.wio4WydR.dpuf

On taxes, the economy and the budget, he is not as cruel as some of his opponents, but still proposes a plan that calls for giveaways to the wealthy, cuts entitlements is likely to blow up the deficit, although he is in denial about the cost.

The Florida senator's plan would slash income taxes and reduce the number of income tax brackets from six to three, with incomes under $150,000 taxed at 15 percent, incomes between $150,000 and $300,000 taxed at 25 percent, and incomes over $300,000 taxed at 35 percent. It would also expand the child tax credit by $2,500, and it would eliminate taxes on capital gains and dividends for new investments, among other adjustments.

The net result of his proposals, according to an analysis from the conservative Tax Foundation, would decrease government revenues by $6 trillion over 10 years. It's a figure that makes even some right-leaning policy experts nervous.Election 2016: Marco Rubio defends tax reform proposals

In addition, taxes would be raised for the lowest income bracket –now at 10% and lowered for the highest earners- now at 39%

One of the main provisions would consolidate the personal income tax into two brackets — 15 percent and 35 percent. Depending on the interaction with other provisions, that could result in a break for some and a tax increase for others, as the current lowest bracket is 10 percent and the highest is 39.6 percent. It cuts taxes on investment income, eliminates double taxation for business income, and reduces the corporate tax rate to 25 percent from the current 35 percent. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/04/17/will-the-lee-rubio-proposal-cut-taxes-for-90-percent-of-americans/

Consider this:

Rubio's Tax Cut Is A Huge Giveaway To The Rich, And This Graph Proves It About half of the benefits would go to the wealthiest 5 percent of Americans http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rubio-tax-cut_563b517ae4b0411d306fb6cb

When asked whom the tax cut would help most, Rubio boasted that "the largest after-tax gains is for the people at the lower end of the tax spectrum."

The basis for Rubio’s statement was an analysis by the Tax Foundation, an independent but conservative-leaning organization that had examined an earlier version of the tax cut he is now touting on the campaign trail. And he was telling the truth about what that analysis showed.

But the Tax Foundation findings focused on percentage increases in income -- in other words, how the size of the each person’s tax break would compare to what that person already makes. As journalist Dylan Matthews has written, relying on that standard alone produces a very incomplete picture. In sheer dollars, the average tax break for the richest 1 percent of Americans turns out to be more than 100 times larger than the average tax break for the poorest 20 percent.

upload_2015-11-8_17-46-8.png

And finally, if you want more war, more dead Americans……Rubio is your guy

NEW YORK -- U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) set forth a foreign policy vision Wednesday that invoked President John F. Kennedy in an assertive call to project American power abroad.

In comments delivered at the Council on Foreign Relations, the conservative senator vying for the GOP presidential nomination said the world would be safer if the U.S. military had a bigger budget and America asserted itself more aggressively across the globe. Marco Rubio Lays Out Hawkish Foreign Policy Doctrine

Rubio is just one more sorry excuse for a presidential candidate, not to mention for a human being, among the Republican lineup of theocrats, bigots and oligarchists. On the surface, he give the appearance of being more rational than the likes of Cruz and the wild eyed Huckabee, and he does not have the baggage of Bush, nor the crassness of Trump. Indeed, he is a cut above the walking dead persona of Carson, and perhaps more competent than Christie ( but then again who isn’t) However, a little digging reveals that he is wrong on most of the issues: Economic, social and foreign and domestic policy. If he is to be the standard bearer of what was supposed to be the new, inclusive, rebranded Republican Party, he falls way short of the mark.

LOL, so is Hillary or Bernie your ideal candidate?

Forum List

Back