Romney Just Cut His Own Throat

I don't think it matters if Romney cut his own throat or not. The man doesn't bleed.

Why is it a third rail to contemplate -- out loud where discussions can be overheard -- the prospect of some difficult solutions that might (despite the difficulty involved) at least serve to save the system itself?

I am still not a Romney supporter, but -- given the magnitude of the problem -- I can't imagine that we have reached a point in this Republic where we cannot discuss the matter in detail, warts and all.

Frankly, I liked Fred Thompson for being willing to address the topic in some detail. I will concede some grudging respect for Mitt to the extent he finds it prudent to at least confront the problem -- including the need for some possibly painful alternative remedies.

link please

It's true, and many thousands more who are still working are itching to get out.

Obama and the Statists think Doctors are just going to sit back and take what Gubmint tells them on how to run thier practices.

it ain't happening.

Does that go for the Doctors just sitting back and letting the wingnuts trying to tell them how to treat pregnant women?

Or like Florida where the wingnuts are preventing doctors from asking about guns in the home?

Your faux, hypocritical outrage is duly noted.

I earned every penny I've ever had. My daddy's first job was timekeeper on the WPA making $6.00 a week. Romney's daddy owned a car company. The idea of that elitist bastard knowing anything about a real job are about the same that a flock of bird dogs will fly overhead. Don't strain your neck.

"I could have stayed in Detroit like him and gotten pulled up in a car company," Romney said at the debate. "I went off on my own. I didn't inherit money from my parents. What I have, I earned. I worked hard, the American way."

We were curious. Did Romney, the last of George and Lenore's four children, receive no inheritance on his path to wealth?

Romney's words

We asked Romney's campaign about his claim.
"Mitt Romney's success is based on his 25-year career in business and the fact that he founded and led one of the most successful private equity companies in the world," spokesman Ryan Williams said.

That wasn't as helpful as, say, a copy of his father's will.

Nor was there any information about George Romney's financial legacy in the many obituaries for the Michigan luminary, who died in 1995 at age 88.

But Mitt Romney has addressed the question himself, it turns out, in an interview with C-SPAN in 2006. Host Brian Lamb asked him why his father hadn't given him an inheritance.

Q & A

Romney answered, "Well, he didn’t have as much as I think some people anticipated. And I did get a check from my dad when he passed away. I shouldn’t say a check, but I did inherit some funds from my dad. But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor. ... And that’s where his inheritance ended up."

According to a short history of the George W. Romney Institute of Public Management at BYU, the family provided an endowment in 1998, within a few years of George Romney's death.

So, in Romney's own words, he did "inherit some funds" from his dad. But he gave them away.

Why?

"I figured we had enough of our own," he said.

He probably did. By 1995, Romney had already led Bain Capital for more than a decade, where shrewd investments made him millions. He stepped down in 1999.

He now says he's worth somewhere between $190 million and $250 million.

How Romney got rich

"I went off on my own," Romney said at the debate. "... What I have I earned. I worked hard, the American way."

So while he didn't ultimately benefit from an inheritance, we wondered: Had Romney's parents' wealth helped build his own fortune?

There's no evidence we saw that Romney's parents helped buy him a business career. But there were certain advantages to Romney's comfortable upbringing.

PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says he didn't inherit money from his parents

You can smell the desperation in that article... they so wanted to disprove his claims... and, when they failed, they hint at the 'advantages' of a 'comfortable upbringing'... So, are we to understand that giving your kids a 'comfortable' upbringing is a bad thing now?

Hells teeth, where will it end? Must we all be born poor to be 'worthy'?

Yeah, that's what Politifact does...

rulings%2Ftom-halftrue.gif

bwgd? :dunno:

But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor, the George W. Romney School of Public Management.

And as an institute of public management, it helps young people learn about government and about serving in public service. And that’s where his inheritance ended up.

LAMB: Did he have a philosophy that he didn’t want to pass on a lot of money to his kids?

ROMNEY: Well, I don’t think he had as much as some people might have imagined. And he spent his money on things he cared about. He was a real champion of volunteerism.

So he funded volunteer efforts and worked to support the things he cared about. My kids got some money from my mom and dad. They are happy that they were able to receive some funds. That helped them in their education and getting started in life. But in my case, I figured we had enough of our own.

^ God forbid! :lol:

He really should have stayed quiet or lied his ass off... like Obama did.

You have to admit.....it was a naive political mistake to make, especially if it's part of his losing the race. And if you think only Dems "stay quiet or lie" then you're hoplessly naive as well.

You can smell the desperation in that article... they so wanted to disprove his claims... and, when they failed, they hint at the 'advantages' of a 'comfortable upbringing'... So, are we to understand that giving your kids a 'comfortable' upbringing is a bad thing now?

Hells teeth, where will it end? Must we all be born poor to be 'worthy'?

Yeah, that's what Politifact does...

rulings%2Ftom-halftrue.gif

bwgd? :dunno:

But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor, the George W. Romney School of Public Management.

And as an institute of public management, it helps young people learn about government and about serving in public service. And that’s where his inheritance ended up.

LAMB: Did he have a philosophy that he didn’t want to pass on a lot of money to his kids?

ROMNEY: Well, I don’t think he had as much as some people might have imagined. And he spent his money on things he cared about. He was a real champion of volunteerism.

So he funded volunteer efforts and worked to support the things he cared about. My kids got some money from my mom and dad. They are happy that they were able to receive some funds. That helped them in their education and getting started in life. But in my case, I figured we had enough of our own.

^ God forbid! :lol:

A champion of volunteerism! :eek: OMG! How very outrageous!

This kind of petty bullshit is what defines our politics these days. Is it any wonder this country is a mess? That no one values - or even remembers - the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

It really is shameful.

Why is it a third rail to contemplate -- out loud where discussions can be overheard -- the prospect of some difficult solutions that might (despite the difficulty involved) at least serve to save the system itself?

I am still not a Romney supporter, but -- given the magnitude of the problem -- I can't imagine that we have reached a point in this Republic where we cannot discuss the matter in detail, warts and all.

Frankly, I liked Fred Thompson for being willing to address the topic in some detail. I will concede some grudging respect for Mitt to the extent he finds it prudent to at least confront the problem -- including the need for some possibly painful alternative remedies.

Romney is one of the few Republicans that I'd vote for with anything close to enthusiasm. The rest are a 'anyone but Obama' option for me.

It would be a better quality debate if we could learn to quote people in context instead of creating faux outrage for the sake of point scoring.

Says he will raise retirement age on social security and give people the option to participate in Medicare or not. The nutty bastard doesn't know that as soon as they hear about it 40,000,000 Americans will vote against him, not for him.

It makes it a lot easier to campaign on lies and pretend Medicare along with every other entitlement program isn't in deep shit, doesn't it? And great time for Obama to grow the class of those dependent on government handouts too -at a time when we can't pay for them. That way when it fails, everyone goes down together. MUCH better than actually trying to save these programs so that people dependent on them at least get something.

I have never understood those who think it is preferable to lie to people and tell everyone on an entitlement it will be someone else who has to take the cut, not them -and then nothing gets done except to spend trillions more no one even has and never will. Some people find comfort swallowing the lies of any politician willing to tell them what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear -to ignore their common sense and that the REAL way to prosperity is to put our entire nation into unsustainable debt and that you can still have whatever your little heart takes a fancy to. We'll just put it on credit we already can't pay. And ignore the fact this puts us directly on the path to bankruptcy -whether an individual does it or an entire nation. Just ask Greece. That worked out real well for the Greeks who deliberately bred a low class citizenry who also elected whomever told them exactly what they wanted to hear instead of the truth -now these real smart citizens riot in the streets, torching public and private property convinced that is actually how money is produced.

If Romney loses for telling the truth that something must be done to save Medicare and this is his proposal for how to do it -so be it. So don't vote for the guy and stick your head in the sand. Very Greek of you. And then you too can act like a Greek, Irish, Italian, etc and feign SHOCK when it all falls apart like you never knew this was coming. You knew, they all knew -you just preferred the guy who lied to you about it because you found the lies more comforting. You can choose less severe pain with a shorter healing time -or total catastrophic pain that just goes on and on and on. A lot of people will always choose long term total catastrophe over temporary, short term discomfort every time. So be it. But let's not pretend those who refuse to also choose catastrophe are the real idiots here.

If people reject Romney because they prefer to hear comforting lies than the cold truth and want to avoid getting down to the serious business of trying to SALVAGE something from this mess so there isn't a total upheaval as happened (and is still happening) in Greece when it all falls apart -then we deserve everything bad that will come as a result. And more -we know EXACTLY what will occur by going down that road -and there are plenty of people who insist that is exactly the road we must follow too. But it is also a fact the people who will become violent and throw their violent temper tantrums when it all falls apart - are the very people who preferred to hear the lies until it was impossible to salvage a damn thing and the ones who insisted we go down this road no matter what. You know, the same people urged to believe the proper role of government was to 'take care" of perfectly normal adults so they could avoid the responsibilities of adulthood -will be the first to act like anything but responsible adults when the rug gets pulled out from under them.

Last edited:

I agree we need to have an adult conversation about this issue.

But I think it's also unreasonable to ask people who've been in the workforce for 50+ years that they now have to wait a few more years because the politicians wasted the money that had been set aside for them.

I certainly think it's uncool to call them "lazy" as one poster here did.

Says he will raise retirement age on social security and give people the option to participate in Medicare or not. The nutty bastard doesn't know that as soon as they hear about it 40,000,000 Americans will vote against him, not for him.

Of course! How else can he afford to give the wealthy another tax cut?

What's obvious here is Democrats are far more interested in fear tactics and re-election.

When it comes to practical solutions to the Social Security and Medicare growing and unsustainable imbalance their found cowering in corners and pointing fingers.

To follow the Democrat failure of leadership is to follow an inevitable path to a, "Final Solution" a single payer system for all, "Death Panels" and complete government control over the individual..

I can only apologize for that last statement...:redface:

Last edited:
What's obvious here is Democrats are far more interested in fear tactics and re-election.

When it comes to practicable solutions to the Social Security and Medicare growing and unsustainable imbalance their found cowering in corners and pointing fingers.

To follow the Democrat failure of leadership is to follow an inevitable path to a, "Final Solution" a single payer system for all, "Death Panels" and complete government control over the individual..

toot toot tootsie Goodbye...

Wow, you gotta love it.

Imagine someone using words like "Final Solution", "Death Panels" and "Complete Government Control" accusing Democrats of using scare tactics. :cuckoo:

How incredibly stupid is that?

Last edited:

When it comes to practicable solutions to the Social Security and Medicare growing and unsustainable imbalance their found cowering in corners and pointing fingers.

Wow, you gotta love it.

Imagine someone using words like "Final Solution", "Death Panels" and "Complete Government Control" accusing Democrats of using scare tactics. :cuckoo:

It was indeed incredibly stupid.... on a par with things like "and did they tell you, I'm black'.... 'and I have a funny name'..... blah blah blah.

If it's incredibly stupid - it is incredibly stupid... no matter which party does it. Difference between you and I.... I see that.

Lumpy.... Your sig... one question:

Who is John Galt?

Holy shit, my fever addled, mucus packed head (oh I'm so sick right now) may have figured something out!

Last edited:

I don't know what planet you live on, but MILLIONS of retirement age people are still working because they CAN'T AFFORD to "retire" and try to eek by on their meager Social Insecurity benefits. Millions more are working part-time jobs to supplement their meager Social Security retirement benefits.

Raising the retirement age and allowing people the option of seeking alternatives to Medicare sounds like PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS, which I know you leftists completely object to.

Something has got to be done to change the Social Insecurity system and Medicare, or neither government bureaucracy will be around much longer. Throwing borrowed money at this problem is the ONLY answer that the leftists have. It is their standard solution to EVERYTHING.

Do you know that an alarmingly increasing number of physicians are no longer accepting Medicare because the reimbursements are too low? Are you aware that there are thousands of physicians who have QUIT their careers because they can't afford to practice anymore?

Sounds like Romney just nocked another success arrow.

obama on the other hand, declared having babies a disease.

Classic! :lol::lol: Now watch this be believed and spread as truth.:lol::lol:

I don't know what planet you live on, but MILLIONS of retirement age people are still working because they CAN'T AFFORD to "retire" and try to eek by on their meager Social Insecurity benefits. Millions more are working part-time jobs to supplement their meager Social Security retirement benefits.

Raising the retirement age and allowing people the option of seeking alternatives to Medicare sounds like PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS, which I know you leftists completely object to.

Something has got to be done to change the Social Insecurity system and Medicare, or neither government bureaucracy will be around much longer. Throwing borrowed money at this problem is the ONLY answer that the leftists have. It is their standard solution to EVERYTHING.

Do you know that an alarmingly increasing number of physicians are no longer accepting Medicare because the reimbursements are too low? Are you aware that there are thousands of physicians who have QUIT their careers because they can't afford to practice anymore?

Sounds like Romney just nocked another success arrow.

obama on the other hand, declared having babies a disease.

Classic! :lol::lol: Now watch this be believed and spread as truth.:lol::lol:
like W blowing up the levees and bringing down the WTC?

Wow, you gotta love it.

It was indeed incredibly stupid.... on a par with things like "and did they tell you, I'm black'.... 'and I have a funny name'..... blah blah blah.

If it's incredibly stupid - it is incredibly stupid... no matter which party does it. Difference between you and I.... I see that.

I would agree the shock value of my terms is well overboard and in retrospect, I apologize.

but.. the lack of leadership and unwillingness to resolve the issues now does set a path to a rather bleak result in my opinion.

Wow, you gotta love it.

And what makes you think I fail to see it?

Wow, you gotta love it.

And what makes you think I fail to see it?

That you choose to use examples from only one side, instead of providing a balance from the other side.

Forum List

Back