Romney Just Cut His Own Throat

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
Says he will raise retirement age on social security and give people the option to participate in Medicare or not. The nutty bastard doesn't know that as soon as they hear about it 40,000,000 Americans will vote against him, not for him.

Do you haver a link? Did he say who gets grandfathered in? What's the new age?

Says he will raise retirement age on social security and give people the option to participate in Medicare or not. The nutty bastard doesn't know that as soon as they hear about it 40,000,000 Americans will vote against him, not for him.

I don't know what planet you live on, but MILLIONS of retirement age people are still working because they CAN'T AFFORD to "retire" and try to eek by on their meager Social Insecurity benefits. Millions more are working part-time jobs to supplement their meager Social Security retirement benefits.

Raising the retirement age and allowing people the option of seeking alternatives to Medicare sounds like PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS, which I know you leftists completely object to.

Something has got to be done to change the Social Insecurity system and Medicare, or neither government bureaucracy will be around much longer. Throwing borrowed money at this problem is the ONLY answer that the leftists have. It is their standard solution to EVERYTHING.

Do you know that an alarmingly increasing number of physicians are no longer accepting Medicare because the reimbursements are too low? Are you aware that there are thousands of physicians who have QUIT their careers because they can't afford to practice anymore?

I don't know what planet you live on, but MILLIONS of retirement age people are still working because they CAN'T AFFORD to "retire" and try to eek by on their meager Social Insecurity benefits. Millions more are working part-time jobs to supplement their meager Social Security retirement benefits.

Raising the retirement age and allowing people the option of seeking alternatives to Medicare sounds like PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS, which I know you leftists completely object to.

Something has got to be done to change the Social Insecurity system and Medicare, or neither government bureaucracy will be around much longer. Throwing borrowed money at this problem is the ONLY answer that the leftists have. It is their standard solution to EVERYTHING.

Do you know that an alarmingly increasing number of physicians are no longer accepting Medicare because the reimbursements are too low? Are you aware that there are thousands of physicians who have QUIT their careers because they can't afford to practice anymore?

Sounds like Romney just nocked another success arrow.

obama on the other hand, declared having babies a disease.

People are living longer. Across the world, countries are raising their retirement ages because their social security programs cannot cope with the numbers. He didn't 'cut his own throat', he told the truth. Fucking lazy bastards will have to work longer. Get used to it.

AFP: Republican Romney vows to raise US retirement age

Excellent. I have supported raising the retirement age for years. I even mentioned it earlier this week in the USMB moocher topic.

In 1935, when Social Security was enacted and the retirement age was set to 65, the average life expectancy was 60. Only 6 percent of the US population was over 65 at that time.

In 1965, when Medicare was enacted, life expectancy was 70.

Today, life expectancy is 78 and 12 percent of the population is over 65.

We cannot live longer and not work longer. That is mooching.

If you go to work at 18, retire at 65, and die at 78, you have paid into the system for 47 years and lived off the system for 13 years.

If you go to work at 18, retire at 70, and die at 78, you have paid into the system for 52 years and lived off the system for 8 years.

So you pay into the system for 5 more years, and live off the system for 5 less years by simply raising the retirement age by 5 years.

When life expectancy hits 100, are we going to expect to be sucking on the government tit for a full third of our lives?

:lol: He hardly cut his own throat you moron. He put forward a viable solution that I imagine most people will agree with. It's not going effect people currently collecting Social Security so why would they vote against him over this?

You've got the IQ of a house plant.

Dems 2008 These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis

Dems 2012 These two entities—Social Security and Medicare—are not facing any kind of financial crisis

:lol: He hardly cut his own throat you moron. He put forward a viable solution that I imagine most people will agree with. It's not going effect people currently collecting Social Security so why would they vote against him over this?

You've got the IQ of a house plant.

That's just fucking insulting.....

to houseplants.

Well it would be better if he cut his own instead of ours.

not one day in my entire lifetime (and i'm pretty old) has the national debt gone down. we spend and spend with no way of paying for it. pushing the SS age back is just another way to keep spending.

I really have no overall problem with this.
The only minor problem I have, is that he said it without giving out details, which he probably should have known better.
I would be 100% ok if they decided to raise the retirement age by 1 month for each of the next 12 years (obviously 1 year total). That way is doesn't totally screw people that are getting ready to retire, while still fixing the overall problem. Even 2 months per year for the next 12 years I would be ok with as that would make it viable again for many many years to come.
Of course if life expectancy every reach 85 it will probably have to go up even more. The system needs to be able to adapt to how long people are living. People will still have the option of retiring on their 401k, pension, IRA or whatever else they may have. At this point in the game everyone should know that they cannot rely completely on SS for their retirement.

I really have no overall problem with this.
The only minor problem I have, is that he said it without giving out details, which he probably should have known better.
I would be 100% ok if they decided to raise the retirement age by 1 month for each of the next 12 years (obviously 1 year total). That way is doesn't totally screw people that are getting ready to retire, while still fixing the overall problem. Even 2 months per year for the next 12 years I would be ok with as that would make it viable again for many many years to come.
Of course if life expectancy every reach 85 it will probably have to go up even more. The system needs to be able to adapt to how long people are living. People will still have the option of retiring on their 401k, pension, IRA or whatever else they may have. At this point in the game everyone should know that they cannot rely completely on SS for their retirement.

You can take that to the bank. I retired after 41 years with the same company and have a decent pension plus social security. My wife has a small pension from one company but still works two days a week. Thank goodness everything we have is paid for. People who have to make it on social security alone automatically fall into the poverty group. Any couple who makes less than $25K per year will have to plan and save in order to ever take a real vacation.

People are living longer. Across the world, countries are raising their retirement ages because their social security programs cannot cope with the numbers. He didn't 'cut his own throat', he told the truth. Fucking lazy bastards will have to work longer. Get used to it.

We can't find jobs for the people who want work now... And Mittens wants to make them all work longer?

The people who have the hardest time in a recession like this. Anyone over fifty. Mittens wants to increase the labor pool with a lot of people who are already goign to have a hard time finding work.

Yeah, Mr. "I like to be able to fire people" Obviously has no connection to the real world, or he wouldn't make statements like this.

Forum List

Back