Romney faces scrutiny over Vietnam

I didnt care about Clintons draft dodging. Im not going to care about Romneys.

I do however care that the Right, who blasted Clinton for it, gave us Bush jr ( the ULTIMATE dodger ) and now Romney and are saying its a non issue.

Except, Clinton was the only one who actually dodged the draft.

Bush served in the Nation Guard. I know you on the left want to pretend that the National Guard isnt part of the military. But it is. You can't dodge the draft while serving in a branch in the Military.

Romney was never drafted. How could he have dodged it?

Because he applied for and received draft deferments, according to the Selective Service.

The article cited specifically states that his lottery was never drawn.

And being deferred is not dodging.

SAN DIEGO — On a stage crowded with war heroes, Mitt Romney recently praised the sacrifice "of the great men and women of every generation who serve in our armed services."
It is a sacrifice the Republican presidential candidate did not make. Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.
President Barack Obama did not serve in the military either. The Democrat, 50, was a child during the Vietnam conflict.
Because Romney, now 65, was of draft age during Vietnam, his lack of military background is facing scrutiny as he courts veterans.
Romney's recollection of his Vietnam-era decisions has evolved in the decades since, particularly as his presidential ambitions became clear. He said in 2007, his first White House bid under way, that he had "longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam." But his actions, Selective Service records and previous statements show little interest in joining a conflict that claimed more than 58,000 American lives.

Read more: Romney faces scrutiny over Vietnam - Times Union

He is a DEVOUT Mormon. In good standing with the Church. He served as a Missionary as is EXPECTED and nearly required of any member at that age in good standing. Failure to serve a mission is a black mark on your church record unless you have a compelling reason for not serving.

Remind us again how Clinton LYING to a COL for an illegal deferment hurt his chances.

I read them fine.

And Romney's a fucking liar..

If you indeed read your links and then still posted that Romney protested in favor of the Vietnam war, then your reading comprehension needs work or your morality is challenged.

He was protesting in favor of a practice that identified kids to send to Vietnam and against those who were not in favor of that.

Overall he was in favor of the war and has said so.

So maybe you should think about the phrase "Physician, heal thyself."

Or put the rose colored glasses back on ..and take a nap.

"The spring of 1966 saw the university’s first sitin. A few dozen students occupied the President’s
Office in Building 10, protesting the fact that Stanford
was administering standardized Selective Service
examinations through which students could qualify
for continued exemption from the draft.
The Stanford
Committee for Peace in Vietnam (SCPV) objected
that the exams signified cooperation with the war
effort and aided privileged university students. Other
Stanford students marched in the Quad to protest
the protest and outnumbered the sitters-in"

http://histsoc.stanford.edu/pdfST/ST35no1.pdf
"

Romney was protesting the students having taken over the administration office. If you read the signs in the pics, you will see that they are opposed to anarchy. It is supposition to say that if you weren't in favor of the sit in, then you were in favor of the war.

SAN DIEGO — On a stage crowded with war heroes, Mitt Romney recently praised the sacrifice "of the great men and women of every generation who serve in our armed services."
It is a sacrifice the Republican presidential candidate did not make. Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.
President Barack Obama did not serve in the military either. The Democrat, 50, was a child during the Vietnam conflict.
Because Romney, now 65, was of draft age during Vietnam, his lack of military background is facing scrutiny as he courts veterans.
Romney's recollection of his Vietnam-era decisions has evolved in the decades since, particularly as his presidential ambitions became clear. He said in 2007, his first White House bid under way, that he had "longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam." But his actions, Selective Service records and previous statements show little interest in joining a conflict that claimed more than 58,000 American lives.

Read more: Romney faces scrutiny over Vietnam - Times Union

I do however care that the Right, who blasted Clinton for it, gave us Bush jr ( the ULTIMATE dodger ) and now Romney and are saying its a non issue.

Bush served in the Nation Guard. I know you on the left want to pretend that the National Guard isnt part of the military. But it is. You can't dodge the draft while serving in a branch in the Military.

Don't confuse people with facts.

If you indeed read your links and then still posted that Romney protested in favor of the Vietnam war, then your reading comprehension needs work or your morality is challenged.

He was protesting in favor of a practice that identified kids to send to Vietnam and against those who were not in favor of that.

"The spring of 1966 saw the university’s first sitin. A few dozen students occupied the President’s
The Stanford

"

Romney was protesting the students having taken over the administration office. If you read the signs in the pics, you will see that they are opposed to anarchy. It is supposition to say that if you weren't in favor of the sit in, then you were in favor of the war.

Um..if that wasn't enough for you..I posted another article where in 2007..he stated he supported the war.

English not your first language?

Because he applied for and received draft deferments, according to the Selective Service.

The article cited specifically states that his lottery was never drawn.

And being deferred is not dodging.

Yes. His lottery was never drawn once he was in the clear, and stopped requesting deferments.

Don't confuse people with facts.

"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes." - GW Bush

Bush had no intention of going either.

Romney got 4 deferments.

Obamination and Bill Clinton didn't serve.....and they despise the military unlike Romney.

Obamination was going to junior college in California and snorting cocaine when he could've joined the military.

Did you vote for Bill Clinton?

And he highlighted the wrong sentence, so I fixed it for him.

A scared kid didn't want his face shot off. Can't blame him.

Never clearly understood Clinton's place in the 'lottery' to flat-out call him a "draft dodger"

After he sought four deferments, right? Exactly.

But where was Clinton?

Like I said, I don't blame anybody for wanting to avoid that shithole of a quagmire.
Just don't be hypocritical about it.
Getting a deferment is a perfectly legal process. Nothing to see here....

Let's do some research together:

Google, "Clinton draft"
Bill Clinton's Draft Letter | The Clinton Years | FRONTLINE | PBS
I did it for the experience and the salary, but also for the opportunity, however small, of working every day against a war I opposed and despised with a depth of feeling I had reserved solely for racism in America before Vietnam.

Clinton's Draft Avoidance
Clinton, age 21, is classified 1-A, eligible for induction, as he nears graduation from Georgetown.
--[Wash Post Sep 13 92]

Comment: Bill Clinton was the only man of his prime draft age classified1-A by that draft board in 1968 whose pre-induction physical examination was put off for 10.5 months. This delay was more than twice as long as anyone else and more than five times longer than most area men of comparable eligibility.
--[Los Angeles Times Sep 02 92]

Summer 1968 - Political and family influence keeps Clinton out of the draft. Robert Corrado -- the only surviving Hot Springs draft board member from that period -- concluded that Clinton's draft statement (the long delays) was the result of "some form of preferential treatment." According to the Times, "Corrado recalled that the chairman of the three-man draft panel ... once held back Clinton's file with the explanation that 'we've got to give him time to go to Oxford,' where the semester began in the fall of 1968.
So both Romney and Clinton, neither one, wanted to fight.

When it's Clinton, it's okay.
When it's Romney, it's wrong.

Got it
:thup:

The Stanford

"

Um..if that wasn't enough for you..I posted another article where in 2007..he stated he supported the war.

English not your first language?

Oddly, I can't find where he actually stated that. The "quote" you list is only found in an unauthorized biography with no context listed. Can you source the quote please? And in the meantime, even the unauthorized biography clearly states that the protest that Romney was involved in was against mob rule.

( and please..don't cite the Boston Globe because they're the ones that wrote the unauthorized biography )

Last edited:
Obamination and Bill Clinton didn't serve.....and they despise the military unlike Romney.

Obamination was going to junior college in California and snorting cocaine when he could've joined the military.
No, Romney wants us to go to war, as long as none of his five sons has to go.

Why would any veteran support Romney? - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mr. Romney was able to avoid Vietnam because he was on a Mormon mission driving around the French countryside. While in Paris he lived in a mansion that featured a cook, butler and pricey art. This mansion later became an embassy of the United Arab Emirates and is now worth about $12 million. During the time America had a draft, using religion as a reason for not serving was somewhat accepted as a conscientious objector, but Mr. Romney then shifted to receive educational deferments, which to me merits the title coward.
Mr. Romney, however, was a staunch supporter of the Vietnam War; he did find time to attend rallies in favor of sending other young men to war. He advocated the glory of battle, but only for other people's sons.
When asked in 2007 if his sons would serve our country in Iraq or Afghanistan he responded with "one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected." They drove around the country in a Winnebago campaigning for Dad.
More than 58,000 men and women died for their country proudly in Vietnam. When I see that fellow veterans are backing a "draft dodger" who wants to get us into other wars, perhaps with North Korea or Iran, I wonder if any of his five sons will serve or will they also head off to another country with Dad's millions? Just let the poor, less fortunate or someone else's son serve or die for our country.

Liberals are just scum. They have to run dirt stories on Romney to try to fool the voters into picking the idiot again.

Obamination didn't serve a fucking minute in the military just like Bill Clinton, but they love to dig through the military backgrounds of Republicans like Bush. Now, they have the rich Republican that didn't serve unlike McCain so it gives them a boner to point out he didn't serve, all the while they ignore Obamination's cocaine snorting years.

Romney pulled a high school prank, went to rich colleges and didn't serve in the military. Uhhhh, Obamination didn't really sit in that racist church for 20 years, he didn't hang out with that domestic terrorist that ATTACKED THE US MILITARY during the Vietnam War, etc, etc, etc.

Most Americans see right through this bullshit and are going to destroy the Democraps in November over this shit and what the idiot in the White House has done to this country. Go ahead and run some fake stories about Romeny eating black babies just like you rolled out the Bush AWOL fairytale years ago.....you're still going to be destroyed.

Sure....dumbfuck.

So what is your military experience???? Since you don't like Romney's experience and you're talking about some war on the horizon.

Can you please cite the campaign speech where he says that or admit it's a lie?

Lying doesnt serve any purpose in edifying or uplifting the debate.

zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's too bad that you take every single weak area that Mitt has and make him out as if he has none just like you have done here.

From Romneycare to supporting the NDAA, Obama stimulus, TARP and Obamacare.. Making the rest of the country pay for Romneycare so he didn't have to raise taxes to something like this, avoiding going to war. Romney is one of the weakest candidates possible, his entire candidacy ride purely on how much the country is disenfranchised with Obama.

When Obama starst spending the billion dollars he has set aside to destroy Mitt even you will become depresed with your options.

Mr. Romney was able to avoid Vietnam because he was on a Mormon mission driving around the French countryside. While in Paris he lived in a mansion that featured a cook, butler and pricey art. This mansion later became an embassy of the United Arab Emirates and is now worth about $12 million. During the time America had a draft, using religion as a reason for not serving was somewhat accepted as a conscientious objector, but Mr. Romney then shifted to receive educational deferments, which to me merits the title coward.
Mr. Romney, however, was a staunch supporter of the Vietnam War; he did find time to attend rallies in favor of sending other young men to war. He advocated the glory of battle, but only for other people's sons.
When asked in 2007 if his sons would serve our country in Iraq or Afghanistan he responded with "one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected." They drove around the country in a Winnebago campaigning for Dad.
More than 58,000 men and women died for their country proudly in Vietnam. When I see that fellow veterans are backing a "draft dodger" who wants to get us into other wars, perhaps with North Korea or Iran, I wonder if any of his five sons will serve or will they also head off to another country with Dad's millions? Just let the poor, less fortunate or someone else's son serve or die for our country.

You are a retard a liar and a moron. You lied about Walker and ran away when confronted with the facts and now you are IGNORING the fact that Romney is a Devout Mormon that had a calling to serve the church in a Mission as is and has always been accepted and understood as their mission as a young adult. Nothing strange odd or abnormal about it. Further he went to college and as any other person going got a deferment for such. When he was finished with his mission he did not seek nor ask for another deferment.

Meanwhile, your hero Clinton got preferential treatment and then openly lied to a Colonel for a deferment that once he was past the selection process he abandoned and went to England.

Attending Oxford is different?

Liberals celebrate Obamination helping the Europeans bomb Libya to keep that oil flowing to Europe while allowing terrorists to take over the country.

Oh, but Romney actually taking action against Iran based on what the Intelligence Community and DoD feel is the right course.....is probably a war crime in their demented minds.

Iran is a threat to the world, Libya was not a threat. Libya could turn into a terrorist haven NOW. Iran is the capital of terrorists NOW.

Attending Oxford is different?

You are literally physically incapable of staying on topic, right?

I know that. I need to stop engaging, because it just is what it is.

/sigh

Forum List

Back