Romney faces scrutiny over Vietnam

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
SAN DIEGO — On a stage crowded with war heroes, Mitt Romney recently praised the sacrifice "of the great men and women of every generation who serve in our armed services."
It is a sacrifice the Republican presidential candidate did not make. Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.
President Barack Obama did not serve in the military either. The Democrat, 50, was a child during the Vietnam conflict.
Because Romney, now 65, was of draft age during Vietnam, his lack of military background is facing scrutiny as he courts veterans.
Romney's recollection of his Vietnam-era decisions has evolved in the decades since, particularly as his presidential ambitions became clear. He said in 2007, his first White House bid under way, that he had "longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam." But his actions, Selective Service records and previous statements show little interest in joining a conflict that claimed more than 58,000 American lives.

Read more: Romney faces scrutiny over Vietnam - Times Union

I really don't blame anyone for having their rich daddy pull the strings to avoid conscription but to actually approve of a war that he had no intention of ever fighting is the very definition of elitism.

If he were D, the rw's would be all over this. He spent the war hiding out in the lap of luxury in Paris and that's just nifty with the spineless rw's.

Same with his freaky cult beliefs. If a D were to be a wacko cultist like Mittens is, the rw's would be positiviely apoplectic.

And his daily lies? Not a problem - IF you're a dishonest rw.

We need to keep our sites on the R's goals - big money for the one percenters and an end to the middle class.

These dumb rw's are good with that.

I can assure you that having a rich daddy has nothing to do with serving a mission for the Church.

I really don't blame anyone for having their rich daddy pull the strings to avoid conscription but to actually approve of a war that he had no intention of ever fighting is the very definition of elitism.

We see that a lot with the pubs. As long as they don't have to actually DO any of the hard work, they're just fine with sending other people's kids to die.

And, Mittens is wanting to start a new war sumthin feerce. He SAID so.

We see that a lot with the pubs. As long as they don't have to actually DO any of the hard work, they're just fine with sending other people's kids to die.

no he doesnt. stop lying

SAN DIEGO — On a stage crowded with war heroes, Mitt Romney recently praised the sacrifice "of the great men and women of every generation who serve in our armed services."
It is a sacrifice the Republican presidential candidate did not make. Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.
President Barack Obama did not serve in the military either. The Democrat, 50, was a child during the Vietnam conflict.
Because Romney, now 65, was of draft age during Vietnam, his lack of military background is facing scrutiny as he courts veterans.
Romney's recollection of his Vietnam-era decisions has evolved in the decades since, particularly as his presidential ambitions became clear. He said in 2007, his first White House bid under way, that he had "longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam." But his actions, Selective Service records and previous statements show little interest in joining a conflict that claimed more than 58,000 American lives.

Did you vote for Bill Clinton?

I can assure you that having a rich daddy has nothing to do with serving a mission for the Church.

I don't know about that but it sure was handy for a lot of kids, including Bill Clinton, who wanted to drink at the frat rather than die in a paddy. The only thing about this story that gives me pause is his contemporary support for the useless Nam war.

I don't know about that but it sure was handy for a lot of kids, including Bill Clinton, who wanted to drink at the frat rather than die in a paddy. The only thing about this story that gives me pause is his contemporary support for the useless Nam war.

how does Bill Clinton figure into anything I was saying?

Did you vote for Bill Clinton?

And he highlighted the wrong sentence, so I fixed it for him.

A scared kid didn't want his face shot off. Can't blame him.

Never clearly understood Clinton's place in the 'lottery' to flat-out call him a "draft dodger"

You have got to be kidding.

BTW, I really hope the Romney campaign tries to equate "serving" his church with serving his country in a combat zone.

It will be hilarious.

Oh brother.. let's see.. McCain was bashed for being captured, Clinton was applauded for not serving, Obama was never questioned about this, or anything, Bush was bashed for Guard service and now you're bashing Romney for not serving, while Kerry was applauded for serving and then shitting all over the troops he served with all the while the left applauded Code Pink for protesting dead soldiers' funerals.

You fucks are amazing.

how does Bill Clinton figure into anything I was saying?

What does an almost certain bogus mission for a church have to do with the high probability that we have a true chicken hawk on our hands? Everything.

So, tell everybody about Bill Clinton's military service. Oops, never mind.

OK, so how about John Edward's military service. Oops, never mind.

Surely you can tell us about Joe Biden's proud military service. Oops, never mind.

OK, I've got it. How about telling us about the distinguished military career of Joe Lieberman. Oops, never mind.

This is getting embarrassing.

OK, one more try. Tell everybody about the military service record of Barack Obama. Even though he wasn't old enough to serve in Vietnam, surely he must have served in our military when he was old enough, right?

Oops, never mind.

Just a reminder Democrats nominated Bill Clinton who also did not go to nam and supported him over two WW2 veterans George H.W. Bush and Bob Doyle.In case anyone forgot Barack Obama was nominated and supported by the Democrats over John McCain who did fight in nam and paid a hell of a price for it given this I don't think the Romney did not got nam stuff holds any water.

This is exactly what Democrats should do. Nail Romney on lack of service in Vietnam. The American Electorate wants jobs and The Liberals are going to focus on Vietnam. Bring it On.

Forum List

Back