ROLL TIDE!

Old News?
BaylorBest_s640x427.jpg

Alabama has played poorly in the last two games and I boldly predict that they will lose on Saturday to Texas A&M. My bet is that the Aggies play a no huddle offense and that Alabama will not be able to stop them. Whatever the outcome, it should be a good one to watch.

Alabama has played poorly in the last two games and I boldly predict that they will lose on Saturday to Texas A&M. My bet is that the Aggies play a no huddle offense and that Alabama will not be able to stop them. Whatever the outcome, it should be a good one to watch.

Alabama has not had as bad a problem with no huddle offenses that everyone seems to think. And, while A&M does have a potent passing game, the running game is not as good. And their defense is miserable. Alabama, however, does have a defense, a passing game, and a solid running game.

Alabama has not had as bad a problem with no huddle offenses that everyone seems to think. And, while A&M does have a potent passing game, the running game is not as good. And their defense is miserable. Alabama, however, does have a defense, a passing game, and a solid running game.

I believe that the advantage for A&M is Lane Kiffin. Hiring him was as questionable move. Alabama seems lost at times on offense, something that wasn't apparent last season.

I believe Alabama will take A & M........... It's Miss State and Auburn who are their biggest threats. I agree A & M's defense is weak.

I believe that the advantage for A&M is Lane Kiffin. Hiring him was as questionable move. Alabama seems lost at times on offense, something that wasn't apparent last season.

Last year we had a seasoned leader at QB. This year we have a new QB. That alone can account for when we seem "lost". There were numerous times last year that our offense failed to do well. We have a more balanced attack this year, despite issues on the O-Line.

Last year we had a seasoned leader at QB. This year we have a new QB. That alone can account for when we seem "lost". There were numerous times last year that our offense failed to do well. We have a more balanced attack this year, despite issues on the O-Line.
How do you rate Kiffin's performance compared to his predecessor?

I think it is better. I think the issue is that we are rebuilding and have a lot of new players. We lost 8 players to the NFL, including the leaders on offense and defense.

I think it is better. I think the issue is that we are rebuilding and have a lot of new players. We lost 8 players to the NFL, including the leaders on offense and defense.
I'm guessing it's more a case of reloading than rebuilding. Based on what I saw and heard about Lane when he was here, he's very good in a supporting role but makes a few mistakes when he's head coach.(Or maybe working for Al Davis set him back a few years?)

I'm guessing it's more a case of reloading than rebuilding. Based on what I saw and heard about Lane when he was here, he's very good in a supporting role but makes a few mistakes when he's head coach.(Or maybe working for Al Davis set him back a few years?)

Kiffin can be a disaster. But what he doesn't do well is to do with being the head coach. Saban will make sure he understand what he wants, in no uncertain terms.

Kiffin is and was a bad head coach, he is a very good offensive coordinator and has been, that is how he got to be a head coach at one time.

I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt that Kiffin is "manageable". I suspect that this will be a short stay at Alabama, and with little return for the opportunity he has been provided.

Kiffin can be a disaster. But what he doesn't do well is to do with being the head coach. Saban will make sure he understand what he wants, in no uncertain terms.
The biggest mistake I saw him make came against UCLA in 2011 when he was hoping to convince Matt Barkley to come back for his final year. 'SC was leading the Bruins 50-0 early in the 4th, and Lane put Barkley and the starting offense back into the game...Trojans haven't won since, and I'm not to sure how 2014 will turn out.

I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt that Kiffin is "manageable". I suspect that this will be a short stay at Alabama, and with little return for the opportunity he has been provided.

Here is his bio from his days as offensive coordinator at USC.

USC Trojans assistant coach
Kiffin began working with the (USC) staff during the 2001 season and became the wide receivers coach prior to the 2002 season. For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator along with Steve Sarkisian for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin and Sarkisian in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer Matt Leinart, two 1,000 yard rushers Reggie Bush and LenDale White, and a 1,000 yard receiver Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

So he has the capability, he is a very good offensive coordinator and a bad head coach.

Kiffin is and was a bad head coach, he is a very good offensive coordinator and has been, that is how he got to be a head coach at one time.
He must have some good qualities or he wouldn't have accomplished as much as he has at his age. Possibly, all he needs is seasoning?

Being a head coach is much more than knowing football. Kiffin knows how to run an offense. And the coordinator positions pay very well at Alabama. Maybe he rose to the level of his incompetency, and now he is back where he belongs.

He must have some good qualities or he wouldn't have accomplished as much as he has at his age. Possibly, all he needs is seasoning?

Being a head coach is much more than knowing football. Kiffin knows how to run an offense. And the coordinator positions pay very well at Alabama. Maybe he rose to the level of his incompetency, and now he is back where he belongs.
I think that sums him up pretty well at this time. He may mature into a great head coach someday, but I'm not sure that will happen at the collegiate level.

Charlie Weis was a very good OC for the Patriots but was never really successful thereafter and most recently he was was fired by the Jayhawks. Kiffin seems to be headed for a similar result. One big success and a series of failures. Kiffin's only real claim to fame was a two year stint starting in 2005 as OC with USC. Not really what you'd call a consistent record of performance.

Charlie Weis was a very good OC for the Patriots but was never really successful thereafter and most recently he was was fired by the Jayhawks. Kiffin seems to be headed for a similar result. One big success and a series of failures. Kiffin's only real claim to fame was a two year stint starting in 2005 as OC with USC. Not really what you'd call a consistent record of performance.
Maybe it's also worth pointing out how 2005 sowed the seeds of USC's football demise with Reggie Bush (and others?) violating NCAA rules about compensation, and both Kiffin and current head coach Sarkisian were present when the crimes occurred. Lane was hired as head coach by Mike Garrett as one of his last acts as Athletic Director at USC; Mike departed as a result of the Reggie scandal, and, perhaps, hiring Kiffin was Garrett's final FU? (Mike played at USC but only after UCLA told him he would have to attend a community college before being admitted) Or maybe I'm being paranoid?

Forum List

Back