Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

It's not legal. Not approved for towing in the USA. You can put a hitch on anything. That right there has a range of less than 100 miles. No way can that tiny little car tow that much weight legally. That boat and trailer weigh close to 3000lbs. That's a Model 3, not approved for towing in the US and only approved up to 2000lb anyway.

This guy got 54 miles out of his Lightening towing 6000lbs.

Bullshit. News flash: factory tow ratings have ZERO legal weight in the US. (Indeed: my Challenger had no factory tow rating.) Towing over the factory rating is 100% legal and in fact, done every day.
No, EV drivers need to pay road taxes based on weight, not body configuration. In my state light trucks pay almost 50 dollar registration fees, sedans pay 25. I know because I own one of each. But some of the sedans weigh more than the light trucks. And states shouldn't FORCE people to buy heavier cars that tear up the roads.

EV's also don't pay road taxes with gas purchases, so they should be forced to pay their fair share because if my 3500lb Fusion tears up the roads so badly that I have to pay 45 cents per gallon in road tax, then EV's at 5000lbs should be taxed accordingly.

My light truck doesn't get good mileage, so I pay for it's extra weight in extra road taxes through fuel purchases. EV's don't have to do this, but tear the roads up just the same as an ICE vehicle that weighs the same, right?
Most states DO charge by weight.
Funny because none of the ' arguments ' against EVs would hold any weight if you accepted the long term cost of climate change.... But of course flat earthers are going to flat earth.
You need to do your part: move to a single-room apartment in a tenement. Walk everywhere.
You are aware that SUVs are nationally the most types of cars bought and on the roads today, right?
ARE you ON some SORT of DRUGS?

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.
Liberals are dumber than a doorknob?

Say it ain't so!

Whatever happens, purchase the gas/diesel vehicles until you cannot or until the infrastructure is a lot weaker to support it. If the climate change agenda was not a scam along what so many other lies, more people would go with this. A Prog owning an ocean front home is proof enough of the scam.

Bullshit. News flash: factory tow ratings have ZERO legal weight in the US. (Indeed: my Challenger had no factory tow rating.) Towing over the factory rating is 100% legal and in fact, done every day.

And you're a fucking idiot.

(page is available, link works fine)

"It’s illegal to exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle in most jurisdictions, and police have an easy time spotting the overloaded vehicle that can’t get up to speed and ends up sliding through stop signs."

It might be done every day, but so is speeding, doesn't make it legal, though. If you are involved in an accident and are exceeding the towing capacity of your vehicle you will be found at fault, at least partially, no matter what.

I have a little Fiesta. Great economy car, but zero towing capacity. I can tow a yard trailer with it and be illegal. I cannot use it to legally tow ANYTHING.

Last edited:
And you're a fucking idiot.

(page is available, link works fine)

It might be done every day, but so is speeding, doesn't make it legal, though. If you are involved in an accident and are exceeding the towing capacity of your vehicle you will be found at fault, at least partially, no matter what.

I have a little Fiesta. Great economy car, but zero towing capacity. I can tow a yard trailer with it and be illegal. I cannot use it to legally tow ANYTHING.
Cite the laws. (You can't.) They don't, because THEY DO NOT EXIST. In fact, the factory tow rating of many semi tractors is...not published. The truck I drive has no tow rating, despite being sold explicitly for that purpose.

One more time: towing over the manufacturer's rating is, in fact, 100% legal. Hotshotters do it every day, grossing 25,000+lbs (I have seen 30K) on a 3500 pickup...totally legally. If you claim otherwise, cite the laws. (You won't.)

How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.
Who is parking Peterbuilt's in parking garages? There are also many roads across America that restrict truck travel. You loons are very ignorant or intentionally dishonest.

I never mentioned taxes; neither did anyone else. But it is hilarious how the goalposts have now moved...

You guys are just clowns at this point.
You brought up Class 8 vehicles. Class 8 vehicles pay heavy road use taxes. You didn't know that. Did you?...lol

I knew better this time...

Odds are anyone attacking EVs are most likely flat earther climate change deniers. I implied that in my post.

EV's and the supporting infrastructure is getting better every single year. Within 10 years they're expected to surpass ice vehicles in performance and cost regardless of your denial of climate change.

They are already a better option for many people today based on cost and convenience.
Yet you “muh climate change” idiots don’t like being told that the batteries in your precious EVs are TOXIC. Nobody in their right mind will buy one of those pieces of crap where a new battery will run you upwards of $10,000. Now about disposing of that lithium and the other toxic materials....

Yet you “muh climate change” idiots don’t like being told that the batteries in your precious EVs are TOXIC. Nobody in their right mind will buy one of those pieces of crap where a new battery will run you upwards of $10,000. Now about disposing of that lithium and the other toxic materials....
Climate change idiots are the deniers who were easily duped by the oil companies propaganda.

Batteries are toxic... well for goodness sake don't eat them.

Typical EV battery warranty 8-10 years
Typical Gas engine warranty 5 years

Projected lifespan of current EV batteries 15-20 years
Projected lifespan of current gas engines 10 years or 200,000 miles

Cost of new engine $4000 to $10,000 dollars.

Recycled EV batteries are projected to provide a third of the new raw materials by 2030. Until very recently there hasn't been a significant amount of used batteries because the industry is so new.

Climate change idiots are the deniers who were easily duped by the oil companies propaganda.

Batteries are toxic... well for goodness sake don't eat them.

Typical EV battery warranty 8-10 years
Typical Gas engine warranty 5 years

Projected lifespan of current EV batteries 15-20 years
Projected lifespan of current gas engines 10 years or 200,000 miles

Cost of new engine $4000 to $10,000 dollars.

Recycled EV batteries are projected to provide a third of the new raw materials by 2030. Until very recently there hasn't been a significant amount of used batteries because the industry is so new.

No EV battery is going to last 15-20 years. Good gawd, what a lie

I don't believe that for one moment
Of course you don't because you have been brainwashed... why would Hyundai and Kia offer a 10 year EV battery warranty if they didn't think that most wouldn't outlast that?

It is ok to be conservative but these Maga cult members are pathetic. They believe what they want to be true with no evidence and deny any truth that they don't like regardless of evidence.

Of course you don't because you have been brainwashed... why would Hyundai and Kia offer a 10 year EV battery warranty if they didn't think that most wouldn't outlast that?

It is ok to be conservative but these Maga cult members are pathetic. They believe what they want to be true with no evidence and deny any truth that they don't like regardless of evidence.

You don't even own an EV. You're just spouting propaganda

And I pointed out that those vehicles pay heavy road use taxes.
So?

If the roads can't stand up to their weight...we're all doomed according to the OP. The guard rails...can't someone please think about the guardrails!!!!

Why don't you guys just admit it...you think, somehow, electric vehicles are a threat to the nation's manhood since they violate some bizarre pain threshold you think everyone should have to cross.

Forum List

Back