Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.
This is a great post. There are also a ton of bridges across the US that are listed as being relatively unsafe but are still being used. I remember several years ago that bridge in Minneapolis fell into the river due to heavy weight from construction equipment and supplies. Several cars plunged into the water and people died. Imagine a rush hour traffic jam with a bunch of EV's stalled on a bridge.

But, alas, this is just a talking point the left would use to spend trillions and trillions of dollars on more infrastructure because money grows on trees.

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.

Democrats are ready for EVs, unfortunately nobody or anything else is. Most importantly the power grid

How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.
The roads are designed for a certain total amount of weight. Increasing the number of heavy cars adds to the total amount of weight the roads have to carry, and the same effect could happen if we doubled the number of said trucks on the road. We're not doing that, just adding heavy cars.

Most of us understand this.

This is a great post. There are also a ton of bridges across the US that are listed as being relatively unsafe but are still being used. I remember several years ago that bridge in Minneapolis fell into the river due to heavy weight from construction equipment and supplies. Several cars plunged into the water and people died. Imagine a rush hour traffic jam with a bunch of EV's stalled on a bridge.

But, alas, this is just a talking point the left would use to spend trillions and trillions of dollars on more infrastructure because money grows on trees.
It will be just another example of libs using a problem they caused to make the case for more government spending.

I'd blame this on a lack of second-order thinking, but this is just common sense. In any case, look at all the pathetic "arguments" against common sense. Their policy makers are bought and paid for, and their voters will contort themselves as necessary to defend their leaders' positions.

It will be just another example of libs using a problem they caused to make the case for more government spending.

I'd blame this on a lack of second-order thinking, but this is just common sense. In any case, look at all the pathetic "arguments" against common sense. Their policy makers are bought and paid for, and their voters will contort themselves as necessary to defend their leaders' positions.

Leftists live the moment with total disregard to costs of their BS

Funny because none of the ' arguments ' against EVs would hold any weight if you accepted the long term cost of climate change.... But of course flat earthers are going to flat earth.

Sadly for you I think globull warming aka climate change is ridiculous. Just a huge wealth redistribution scam

Next time know better

The roads are designed for a certain total amount of weight. Increasing the number of heavy cars adds to the total amount of weight the roads have to carry, and the same effect could happen if we doubled the number of said trucks on the road. We're not doing that, just adding heavy cars.

Most of us understand this.
You are aware that SUVs are nationally the most types of cars bought and on the roads today, right?

Who would compare a small electric sedan to a HUGE 7 row V8 powered SUV?

A reasonable comparison to the Model S would be something like a Ford Fusion at 3400lbs. You have to compare vehicles with equivalent passenger and load space for it to be a valid comparison. Like the Ford F 150 lightening weighs 35% more than the regular F-150. Direct comparison.

I would. The comparison is purely about the weight of the vehicles. Suburbans (and other large SUVs) are more common than EVs.

You are aware that SUVs are nationally the most types of cars bought and on the roads today, right?
Of course, and they have been for a while now. EV's are adding to the total load, which isn't even controversial.

That EV's are adding to not only the wear and tear on the roads, but tire wastage and guardrail failures as well. I thought that was the point of the thread.
ffs-baby.gif

Sadly for you I think globull warming aka climate change is ridiculous. Just a huge wealth redistribution scam

Next time know better
I knew better this time...

Odds are anyone attacking EVs are most likely flat earther climate change deniers. I implied that in my post.

EV's and the supporting infrastructure is getting better every single year. Within 10 years they're expected to surpass ice vehicles in performance and cost regardless of your denial of climate change.

They are already a better option for many people today based on cost and convenience.

Next time know better

Nah...you're kidding.

Quit with the lies.....

Clearly the roads that the 18 wheelers drive on are different than the roads that the EVs drive on...somehow...
I have never seen a Peterbilt in a parking garage...
Not really a valid comparison

Compare it to a Camry at 3300 lbs
I doubt that is accurate. Indeed: from the same source (Edmunds), the curb weight of a Challenger is almost 600lbs low. (They claim 4100lbs, mine was 4650 on the truck scale at work.)

I knew better this time...

Odds are anyone attacking EVs are most likely flat earther climate change deniers. I implied that in my post.

EV's and the supporting infrastructure is getting better every single year. Within 10 years they're expected to surpass ice vehicles in performance and cost regardless of your denial of climate change.

They are already a better option for many people today based on cost and convenience.

Good grief @ flat earth. You're nuts. Go away

I find it ironic that conservatives who have always chosen heavier vehicles i.e.SUVs and trucks... Now are worried about weight :auiqs.jpg:
So...you know this? You "know" that "conservatives" have "always" chosen heavier vehicles? I guess the 2600lb hatchback in the driveway must not be mine, then?
Bridges, roads, guardrails are not designed for the average car they are designed for the heaviest possible weight... plus a large fudge factor.
Directly from an architect who designs them: rated capacity x number of lanes x 3.5 (safety factor). Basically, a 2-lane bridge posted for 5 tons can actually hold 35 safely.

A reasonable comparison to the Model S would be something like a Ford Fusion at 3400lbs. You have to compare vehicles with equivalent passenger and load space for it to be a valid comparison. Like the Ford F 150 lightening weighs 35% more than the regular F-150. Direct comparison.
Or a Dodge Charger, at ~4500lbs.
An F150 lightening weights 35% more than a regular ICE F150.

No truck sold today weighs 7000lbs unless it can pull 25000 to 30,000 or more. They also spread the weight out over larger tires. The "footprint" of a larger vehicle is smaller than an EV because of the footprint.

And if you read in post 73 I mention the study being done out of the UK and that they have smaller cars.
Bullshit. Most 4WD pickups now are over 6000lbs.
The F150 lightening weighs 35% more than the normal ICE F-150.

A vehicle to compare to the 4500lb Model S is the Ford Fusion at 3500lbs. That's 25% more. You have to compare vehicles with similar occupancy levels and storage room or else your comparison is irrelevant.

You also can't ignore that Tesla tire life is maybe 20,000 miles because of this weight. You can get 80,000 mile tires for a Fusion. So you put 4 times more tires on the vehicle making 4 times more waste for landfills. And you're saving the environment how?
The Tesla has performance tires, which wear quickly. This isn't new-my Challenger only got about 25,000 miles on a set of tires for the same reason. Same for my wife's Grand National.

Forum List

Back