Right To Try Law

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Colorado's 'Right To Try' Law Will Give Some Patients Access To Experimental Drugs

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

The "Right To Try" law allows terminally ill patients to obtain experimental drugs without getting federal approval. It's a proposal being advanced in several states by patient advocates who are frustrated by the yearslong federal approval process for experimental drugs in the pipeline.

<snip>

Gov. John Hickenlooper on Saturday signed Colorado's "Right To Try" bill, which was passed unanimously in the state Legislature.

<snip>

THey should fix the approval process first.
I suspect quackery and malpractice are in Colorado's future.

Similar bills await governors' signatures in Louisiana and Missouri, and Arizona voters will decide in November whether to set up a similar program in that state.

I'll be sending an e-mail to Jay Nixon's office today.

Colorado's 'Right To Try' Law Will Give Some Patients Access To Experimental Drugs

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

The "Right To Try" law allows terminally ill patients to obtain experimental drugs without getting federal approval. It's a proposal being advanced in several states by patient advocates who are frustrated by the yearslong federal approval process for experimental drugs in the pipeline.

<snip>

Gov. John Hickenlooper on Saturday signed Colorado's "Right To Try" bill, which was passed unanimously in the state Legislature.

<snip>

What do you call it when you keep doing the same thing expecting a different result? How the fuck is more government a solution to a problem created by government in the first place?

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

Is anyone else confused as to how, in a supposedly free country without "draconian waiting lists for medical care like they have in England," this would even be an issue and Right to Try laws would even need to be passed?

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

What do you call it when you keep doing the same thing expecting a different result? How the fuck is more government a solution to a problem created by government in the first place?
I view it as one level of government (various states) removing barriers created by another level of government (the feds), enacting laws to serve as placeholders until the federal regulations that created the need for the state laws in the first place are repealed.

If there is a right to die, there should be a right to try. Someone who is terminally ill has a right to choose to end their lives. It doesn't make sense to deny them a right to experimental treatments on the basis that such treatment might kill them.

THey should fix the approval process first.
I suspect quackery and malpractice are in Colorado's future.

Let's hope not...I completely agree FDA approval process needs a complete overhaul. There are very useful drugs being used in UK and Canada that we cannot get here as they need to go through a whole new round of studies. Well if they're being used safely in other countries then they should be fast tracked here in the USA for use by those that need them the most. It's tragic to know there is a drug being used successfully in another country but not available here because of the System...

Drugs and treatments that are in studies should be available to those in need. It makes NO sense to have drugs being used in studies that are hopeful for the terminally ill. Those patients are willing to try anything...Let them make the decision along with their doctors.

I've worked with terminally ill cancer my whole career. It was always so Crazy to withhold any type of hopeful drug that was in a stage 2 study meaning it has passed small and large animal testing during stage 1 study. Looks hopeful but patients are dying before it makes it to market. They're going to die no matter what if not given an experimental drug. Many of those experimental drugs are being tested on patients with the same exact problems. They just didn't make the cut off of 3,000 patients included in the study.

I myself am on a drug that was fast tracked after we went to congress with the FDA to get it approved for use....We all knew the risk...But the benefits far outweighed the risk. 7 years later I'm still on that drug & the useless paperwork that I STILL need to go through is insane. Enough to make me Sick. Let the patient with their doc & family make these important decisions.
The FDA does none of the work. It is the Drug co that has the responsibility to show the FDA if any drug is useful and safe. Many know Way before making it to market whether so called experimental drugs are beneficial or not. A pile of paperwork many times is what makes the difference between life and death for many....
Let the patient/dr decide.

I'm not at all in favor of a patient walking into any medical facility saying I want to try this or that I read about on the internet. Less that 50% of new drugs still in studies ever reaches market. Why I use the Stage 2 studies and especially stage 3 studies..Stage 3 will make it to market someday as it has already been tested for safety and dosage now looking for side effects. Terminally ill only worried about that one side effect of Death..that they are willing to try anything.

You cannot believe the the crap desperate people will do to save their lives. And there will always be quacks that will take advantage of people in their hour of need with or without FDA approval.

Last edited:

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

I view it as one level of government (various states) removing barriers created by another level of government (the feds), enacting laws to serve as placeholders until the federal regulations that created the need for the state laws in the first place are repealed.

View it however you want, it isn't going to work because the doctors are more afraid of the federal government throwing them in prison than they are the state governments giving them permission to do something the federal government will throw them into prison for.

View it however you want, it isn't going to work because the doctors are more afraid of the federal government throwing them in prison than they are the state governments giving them permission to do something the federal government will throw them into prison for.

If this won't work, then please explain the prevalence of state-issued marijuana licenses.

There are many docs on the front lines with their hands tied knowing there are great studies with very hopeful drugs going on. There is a Limited number of people allowed into a research study. So if a patient misses out they are screwed as they watch that drug study go on without them. And they wait for the process to continue for about 10 years doing blind and double blind studies while the people dying don't give a crap about the FN study...Study this asshole...I'm dying...

The pile of paperwork a patient needs to sign before getting into a study releases any and all responsibility to any treating Dr. Most Docs are just following a study protocol given to them from a major medical research center if they ever make it past the medical center. If you're not connected to a major center very unlikely you'll be included in a major study. And every single detail is carefully documented. Every Patient is very well aware of the risks...

Any patient entering a drug or treatment study is a Real Hero. They make the difference between a new drug making it to market or not. There have been many that have given their All for the chance to move a new drug forward with the hopes of it helping others.
Without them willing to take a chance so many now living a normal life would not be possible...Any drug you take today there has been a group of volunteers to make that drug available for you to take safely without fear..They've already paid the price for You!

Last edited:
I will bet my bottom dollar, my last penny, that this will lead to people suing companies if they choose not to send the meds, for any reason.

just another end around that leads to more litigation costs that will be passed onto us.

If this won't work, then please explain the prevalence of state-issued marijuana licenses.

Do you walk around with your head up your ass 24/7?

Feds target 71 medical marijuana dispensaries in L.A. County | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

There are many docs on the front lines with their hands tied knowing there are great studies with very hopeful drugs going on. There is a Limited number of people allowed into a research study. So if a patient misses out they are screwed as they watch that drug study go on without them. And they wait for the process to continue for about 10 years doing blind and double blind studies while the people dying don't give a crap about the FN study...Study this asshole...I'm dying...

The pile of paperwork a patient needs to sign before getting into a study releases any and all responsibility to any treating Dr. Most Docs are just following a study protocol given to them from a major medical research center if they ever make it past the medical center. If you're not connected to a major center very unlikely you'll be included in a major study. And every single detail is carefully documented. Every Patient is very well aware of the risks...

Any patient entering a drug or treatment study is a Real Hero. They make the difference between a new drug making it to market or not. There have been many that have given their All for the chance to move a new drug forward with the hopes of it helping others.
Without them willing to take a chance so many now living a normal life would not be possible...Any drug you take today there has been a group of volunteers to make that drug available for you to take safely without fear..They've already paid the price for You!

Don't get me wrong, I think people should be able to try anything they want. I am 100% behind patient rights, and think people should have access to anything that helps them deal with their symptoms, and access to experimental drugs even if the results are tenuous just on the off chance they might get some benefit. The problem is the way they are going about it, not their goals.

KRISTEN WYATT 05/18/2014

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

Is anyone else confused as to how, in a supposedly free country without "draconian waiting lists for medical care like they have in England," this would even be an issue and Right to Try laws would even need to be passed?

You're confused because you made wrong assumptions about the USA. Healthcare system isn't free market, not even close.

Also, VAs all over the country allegedly have secret draconian waiting lists. It's quite a scandal.

A no brainer for everyone except the pols.

But watch...some dude will be cured then his lawyer will due for wrongful life.

It's not a "no-brainer". I agree with this law, but it's not a "no brainer" at all.

Remember, thalidomide was once thought to be a pregnancy "wonder drug".

That is exactly the problem.
The trolls at FDA have a choice: they can approve a drug and it might turn out like Thalidomide and have horrible consequences.
Or they can deny a drug and hardly anyone will know what benefits might have come from it. If they do the first, their careers will be over and a few people will suffer. If they do the second their careers are solid and untold people will suffer.
Which do you think they choose?

A no brainer for everyone except the pols.

But watch...some dude will be cured then his lawyer will due for wrongful life.

It's not a "no-brainer". I agree with this law, but it's not a "no brainer" at all.

Remember, thalidomide was once thought to be a pregnancy "wonder drug".

Remember, when the Doctor has no facts he makes shit up.

Thalidomide was never considered a wonder drug for pregnancy, it was a sedative that was used to treat morning sickness back when it was considered a mental disorder.

Forum List

Back