Rick Perry quits the race

Perry out
Newts ex wife on the rampage

Doesn't look like anything can stop Mitt now

Perry out

If Newt Drops and endorses Santorum VERY soon, it could happen, but yeah, I don't see it. I predict that Newt and Rick stay in long enough to destroy the other one.

If Newt drops out after he loses South Carolina, then we might have a race between Romney and Santorum. If he sticks to his guns and goes to Florida, well... we're all screwed.

I'm seriously starting to blame South Carolina for all of our sucky presidential choices... I mean Bush, McCain, Obama, now possibly Romney... what a freaking track record for both party's primaries!

If Newt drops out after he loses South Carolina, then we might have a race between Romney and Santorum. If he sticks to his guns and goes to Florida, well... we're all screwed.

I'm seriously starting to blame South Carolina for all of our sucky presidential choices... I mean Bush, McCain, Obama, now possibly Romney... what a freaking track record for both party's primaries!

Yeah, this is the issue. Newt needs to drop soon, or Santorum does. One or the other will do it at this point. IF Newt and Rick both continue on much past South Carolina then Mitt will have this locked up.

The problem is that the early states (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina) have such an impact on fundraising and all have such niche issues and concerns that unless you can say the right words there, you lose. It's why Rudy was doomed in 2008. All three were states he literally could not win in....doesn't matter he could have done well in the remaining 47. By the time you got to Florida, the race was over.

Those three states gave us John Forbes Kerry in 2004. Gee thanks.

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN) - Rick Perry is telling supporters that he will drop his bid Thursday for the Republican presidential nomination, two sources familiar with his plans told CNN.

The Texas governor will make the announcement before the CNN debate in South Carolina, the sources said.

FIRST ON CNN: Sources: Perry dropping out of GOP race – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Ah Perry.... I'll miss the laughs we shared over your incompetency but that's really about all.

Yeah, now we can no longer at least get a cheap laugh out of the primary. All that remains now is to be terrified by any of the choices. I was hoping Ricky P. would hang until he was literally ejected. It's a true bummer.

Perry out

If Newt Drops and endorses Santorum VERY soon, it could happen, but yeah, I don't see it. I predict that Newt and Rick stay in long enough to destroy the other one.

It won't matter, because it's not Santorum's turn. They went against that in '00 and look what it got them! I don't see the (R)powers-that-be letting that happen again.

This makes Perry's behavior very difficult to understand. After doing poorly in Iowa, he appeared to consider dropping out. He decided to stay in the race, but now it seems that he only was staying in for New Hampshire, which he must have known would have been a very weak state for him. Now it seems like he's just been wasting time and effort since Iowa. If he were endorsing Romney I might suppose he had some hope of an appointment or other benefit, but it's difficult to imagine what personal benefit endorsing Gingrich might offer him.

Issues of timing aside, dropping out of the race certainly seems to be the right thing for Perry to do. He does have a state to govern, and he's acting as a spoiler for other non-Romney candidates.

He thought he had a shot in SC but he's been polling around 5% there.

Forum List

Back