Republicans Are Outraged Donald Trump Isn't Above The Law

Prosecutors have declined to charge Trump because there's nothing there.
It took a Soros supported DA to finely try and charge Trump for something thats bound to fail.
This is just another smear campaign designed to take Trump down and everyone knows it.

Trump's got more indictments. you are watching the news, right?

“I'm taken aback at the idea of indicting a former president of the United States at a—at a time when there's a crime wave in New York City,” Pence told Jonathan Karl on ABC’s This Week, “that fact that the Manhattan D.A. thinks that indicting President Trump is his top priority I think it—just tells you everything you need to know about the radical left in this country. It just feels like a politically charged prosecution here. And I—for my part, I just feel like it's just not what the American people want to see.”

Let’s take this one point at a time, because Pence is so perfectly encapsulating the Republican position on prosecuting Trump.

First: There is no crime wave in New York City. And former presidents should not be protected from prosecution just because of their elevated status.

Second: The Manhattan district attorney obviously does not think that indicting Trump is his top priority. He already set aside a plan by his predecessor to indict Trump for his financial dealings, and Bragg has now been in office for more than a year. Something one does more than a year after getting the ability to do it is, by definition, not a top priority.

Third: Alvin Bragg is in no way the “radical left,” although he is, to translate what Pence really meant, Black.

Fourth: This may feel politically charged because Republicans are politicizing it through their insistence that Trump should be immune from prosecution. But not charging Trump with crimes he committed would be a political move in itself. Power shouldn’t put people above the law.

And finally: It doesn’t—or shouldn’t—matter what the American people want to see when it comes to prosecuting crimes. As a side issue, it’s no surprise that the people Pence talks to don’t want Trump indicted, but plenty of people will be breaking out the party hats and streamers if and when it happens. But again, prosecution for crimes should not be a popularity contest and being famous and rich and powerful should not insulate you.

But that is the official Trump/Republican position: Charges against Trump can only ever be a politically motivated abuse of power, no matter how many crimes he commits. In reality, of course, while Trump’s prominence has drawn the attention of prosecutors, there’s been an obvious reluctance to charge him with anything because Trump is a political figure and he and his allies will harass the prosecutors and use the charges to whip up their base.

The talking points have spread far and wide in the Republican Party.

He could be arrested on 5th Ave., and not lose any support. :badgrin:
I feel we should have just one rule of law that applies equally to everybody, rich and poor, democrat or republican, atheist or religious, white or minority, male or female, straight or gay.

Under my system Trump would have been investigated but so would Joe Biden and members of his family. Hunter Biden would not get a slap with a wet noodle on his wrist while some poor black guy ends up in prison for crack cocaine abuse. The FBI, DOJ, CIA, IRS would not be weaponized against any group of people who happen to hold different views than the political party in power but posed no real danger to our society.

Unfortunately my idea is just a pipe dream and our nation will continue to be ruined by corruption and favoritism until it finally breaks apart and the Chinese who have bought our politicians lock stock and barrel take over.

Forum List

Back