Replacement for Letterman- Stephen Colbert

Colbert is not funny, but neither was Dave, he should work out well.

Colbert humor is sorta childish, once in while he makes me laugh, actualy the british guy, John Oliver, on his show is much funnier.

Dave is very funny. Colbert is hit or miss, imo.

The question will be....Will America accept Colbert out of character?

Kind of like accepting Charley Chaplin out of character
I don't think Colbert will or should ditch his act. Late Night TV is changing and the 'old' format is going to die off I believe.

"The guy behind the desk doing the interview" just may go away after Letterman is gone. That's what I think will happen

Anyone watching the Colbert Report knows that political satire wasn't the beginning and end of Colbert's act.

He's also a talented musician.

He's obviously very talented. I think he'll do well, but we'll see, I suppose.

People attaching politics to him are being rather silly, I think. He parodied a right wing bigot, which isn't the same as being 'hard left'. I suspect his political convictions won't be part of his Late Show persona at all. He's probably more than ready to shed that schtick.

Dave always seemed like a snarky smartass, never liked him

Exactly, he seems like a liberal elitist bitch, kinda the same way you do. :D

Probably why I like him, you said snarky and smartass, I can relate.

Snarky and smartass works if you are funny, Dave not so much, also Paul Schaffer is a great musician, but he creeps me out. Also not funny. :D

Huh? Paul's funny too. We have to send you to school here. Record it for the next week and we'll talk about it some more then.

Colbert humor is sorta childish, once in while he makes me laugh, actualy the british guy, John Oliver, on his show is much funnier.

Colbert's funny but his M.O. gets somewhat predictable -- at least on the show he has now, which of course wouldn't be carried over as a model here.

Letterman's a special kind of funny. Who else would ever come up with "well it's the second Thursday of the month and that means time to call Joe Fraizier to find out how much gas is in his car"? That's funny.

Colbert's funny but his M.O. gets somewhat predictable -- at least on the show he has now, which of course wouldn't be carried over as a model here.

Letterman's a special kind of funny. Who else would ever come up with "well it's the second Thursday of the month and that means time to call Joe Fraizier to find out how much gas is in his car"? That's funny.

Or this:

Dick Cheney said he was running again. He said his health was fine, 'I've got a doctor with me 24 hours a day.' Yeah, that's always the sign of a man in good health, isn't it?

David Letterman

Don't get me started ... :)

It will be interesting to see if Colbert can summon up a larger group of viewers than mostly a handful of college kids sharing a bong. He'll have to broaden the comedic range he's "famous" for. He also won't be piggy backing on Jon Stewart's fan base. It will be also interesting to see if Colbert only ridicules the political right like Letterman or will he be an equal opportunity offender like Leno. Will Colbert be original and edgy like young Letterman or more old school like older Letterman when he switched networks? I used to love Letterman until his own misanthropy turned in on itself into a vortex of self unfunny parody. IMO.
I personally think the co- creator of TWO BROKE GIRLS, Whitney Cummings, would have been the best choice. She's a liberal of course (I'm not asking for miracles from Hollywood after all). However, like Jon Stewart, she's funny and engaging.
[ame=http://youtu.be/hezdKrUzOyg]Whitney Cummings-Romantic Comedies - YouTube[/ame]

2014-04-11-fe159125_large.jpg

I watch Stephen Colbert about as much as critics of FNC watch FNC.

I see snippets of his show here and there, and I have yet to see anything emanating fro Colbert which would convince me that:

1. He is a normal human being.
2. He has a sense of humor.
3. He can ever be objective about anything.
4. He never stole the microwave from Bill O'Reiley.
5. He would not object if his daughter - if he ever had one - wanted to marry a black guy.
6. He would never vote for a white contender for any office, if there was a black contender for same.
7. Or gay or straight.
8. Or able or disabled.
9. His stands on any issue is NOT for ratings or political favors.
10. He is a human being.

There is my Top Ten. Let Stephen Colbert and his liberal worshippers deal with it.

CBS names Colbert as Letterman replacement

CBS moved quickly to replace David Letterman after the late-night host announced his retirement last week. Confirming speculation, Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, will take over the Late Show sometime next year.

Colbert, whose current contract expires at year end, signed a five-year deal to host the show, which will begin when Letterman decides to step down when his contract expires in August 2015, though he could choose to leave earlier next year.

Thanks, good to know there will still be no reason to watch any late night shows.

When I was still working, for the last thirty years of my working years I was on flex time. The nature of my work (computer programming) allowed me to be on my own, develop and test the computer solution that I was tasked with at any hour of the day as long as that solution was found.

I found that to achieve my goals as well as the goals of the company had in mind with my job, we all agreed that my working hours would be from 5:00 AM till 1:30 PM.

So, I needed to be at work early, which prevented me from watching any late night shows. I never cared to see any, nor did I ever have wanted to express an opinion about any of the late night show hosts.

Then my teenage daughter got hooked on Arsenio Hall. Then on Dave Letterman.

In 1994 my daughter and I were doing some volunteer work in Port Aux Basques, MO., following the devastating flood in the previous year, with outr friends from the Second Presbyterian Church in Indianapolis, IN. We had a chance to meet Dave Letterman's mother.

If there ever was a case to prove that the apple, indeed, can fall and does in fact fall, far from the tree, this was it.

CBS names Colbert as Letterman replacement

CBS moved quickly to replace David Letterman after the late-night host announced his retirement last week. Confirming speculation, Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, will take over the Late Show sometime next year.

Colbert, whose current contract expires at year end, signed a five-year deal to host the show, which will begin when Letterman decides to step down when his contract expires in August 2015, though he could choose to leave earlier next year.
He’s made the show his own

Forum List

Back