Replacement for Letterman- Stephen Colbert

Should have went with Howard Stern. Colbert will phail. Looks like Kimmel and Fallon can breathe easy and fight out the ratings war between themselves.

All anyone knows of colbert is his persona on his show. Considering no one among the viewing public really knows his actual personality, I am wondering why CBS took such a risk like this.

because he's been on a lot of shows not in character and he has an incredible background. he's also brilliant and can sing and dance. he's an impressive guy.

Should have went with Howard Stern. Colbert will phail. Looks like Kimmel and Fallon can breathe easy and fight out the ratings war between themselves.

Howard needs a long form interview show. The dude can make anyone interesting. But he's got to be on cable to allow flexibility when it comes to subject matter.

I got the impression that Letterman doesn't like Howard Stern. Stern didn't show up one night and when he rescheduled, Letterman just went through the motions in his interview. I don't know this gossip for sure but it seemed that way to me.

Besides Stern is almost as old as Letterman, he's 60. They need somebody younger and funnier.

letterman and stern are friends now. there was a while when things were rocky. they've gotten past that and are now fine... which is why dave did his birthday bash.

All anyone knows of colbert is his persona on his show. Considering no one among the viewing public really knows his actual personality, I am wondering why CBS took such a risk like this.

because he's been on a lot of shows not in character and he has an incredible background. he's also brilliant and can sing and dance. he's an impressive guy.

But people will be expecting "Steven Colbert" not Steven Colbert, no matter how much CBS will inform people of the situation.

CBS names Colbert as Letterman replacement

CBS moved quickly to replace David Letterman after the late-night host announced his retirement last week. Confirming speculation, Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, will take over the Late Show sometime next year.

Colbert, whose current contract expires at year end, signed a five-year deal to host the show, which will begin when Letterman decides to step down when his contract expires in August 2015, though he could choose to leave earlier next year.

Wow... he's really a perfect choice now that I think about it. He'll keep just enough of Letterman's sardonic wit, but open it up a bit more. I'll have to check it out.

The question will be....Will America accept Colbert out of character?

Kind of like accepting Charley Chaplin out of character

It's weird sort of thing to consider a 'risk', but it truly will be for him, being publicly 'in character', pretty much 24/7, for ten years now.

Howard needs a long form interview show. The dude can make anyone interesting. But he's got to be on cable to allow flexibility when it comes to subject matter.

I got the impression that Letterman doesn't like Howard Stern. Stern didn't show up one night and when he rescheduled, Letterman just went through the motions in his interview. I don't know this gossip for sure but it seemed that way to me.

Besides Stern is almost as old as Letterman, he's 60. They need somebody younger and funnier.

Well, Letterman recently sat with Howard on stage for a 40 minute interview during Howard's "Birthday Bash". Letterman is an aloof guy.....but I think Howard is as close to him as just about anyone.
Stern and Letterman are good friends. The fact that he (David) showed up at Sterns B-Day bash speaks volumes of that friendship. Letterman rarely if ever goes to anything let alone a crazy birthday bash.

I don't think Colbert will or should ditch his act. Late Night TV is changing and the 'old' format is going to die off I believe.

"The guy behind the desk doing the interview" just may go away after Letterman is gone. That's what I think will happen

I don't think Colbert will or should ditch his act. Late Night TV is changing and the 'old' format is going to die off I believe.

"The guy behind the desk doing the interview" just may go away after Letterman is gone. That's what I think will happen

Could be Letterman and Leno were the last of the breed

Colbert has lived off of political satire. Can he or will he change to telling Justin Beiber jokes and interviewing Kim Kardashian?

This is going to end up being a "What were they thinking" moment. Letterman had to go. He just got too old to compete with the younger and more energetic Jimmys. Colbert was a very poor choice but I can see why they made it. Colbert is hard left. Because he is hard left, he has received numerous awards. He's gotten Emmys and Peabody's. He just has no audience. His ratings have been consistently low. He's bringing nothing to the table but ideology.

The late night audience is older and less urban. That's why Jay Leno was so successful for so long and left the Tonight Show as the highest rated late night show ever. If Colbert succeeds in bringing his audience with him to late night, and does not attract others, CBS will either keep a failure or get someone else.

I think he is going to crash and burn. He type-casted himself and I think even his fans will reject him when he is out of character. I personally never thought he was that funny. I don't agree with his politics sure, but I don't agree with John Stewart's politics either, but I occasionally watch him because he is funny.

Anyone watching the Colbert Report knows that political satire wasn't the beginning and end of Colbert's act.

He's also a talented musician.

Yeah, that didn't go over very well.

It went over fine.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FMNFvKEy4c]Greatest Speech Ever Made Charlie Chaplin The Great Dictator W/Time Inception Full HD Best Version - YouTube[/ame]

Colbert is not funny, but neither was Dave, he should work out well.

Colbert humor is sorta childish, once in while he makes me laugh, actualy the british guy, John Oliver, on his show is much funnier.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back