Reparations, Racism & Affirmative Action

and yet you post none of them,,,
Apparently I gave you too much credit:
  • Not getting a job interview because your name 'sounds' Black
  • Not getting to attend a good school because your parents live in a poor neighborhood
  • Not getting a good education because your parents didn't get one and don't know the value of it
  • Not getting to inherit wealth because you family faced discrimination in the past

you just made those up didnt you???
you are losing it,

those are culture problems not black problems,,

and I as a white person lived with all of them except the black name
Unfortunately I didn't have to make any of them up. My father in his youth got a good job that probably would not have gone to an equally qualified Black man. My parents bought a house that later soared in value, in a neighborhood a Black family couldn't buy into.

Some portion of the poverty of Black families today in the US stems from our history of discrimination. Can anyone argue that is not true?

so you have to use the way back machine to find a problem that no longer exist,,,

got it,,

The problem still exists. You however, subscribe to-

The Teflon Theory of American History says that anything that took place over 30 years ago is Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on the present. Or not much. Unless it was something good like the light bulb or the Declaration of Independence. Therefore those who make a big deal of the bad stuff in the past, like slavery, are Living in the Past and need to Get Over It.

For example:

Jim Crow laws were overturned by the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore according to Teflon Theory the Jim Crow period is now Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on how White Americans alive today think and act. None whatsoever. Or not much. So racism is pretty much dead.

Instead of Jim Crow’s effect slowly weakening over time like you would expect, Teflon Theory would have you suppose that it just disappeared like magic one afternoon sometime in the late 1960s. Even though many White Americans alive now were alive back in Jim Crow times. Even though many others were brought up and shaped by those who were alive back then: parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, writers, film directors, television producers, news editors and so on.

Few sit on a mountain top to come up with their beliefs all on their own. Instead most people pretty much go along with what everyone else already believes with maybe a few twists here and there. Such beliefs come from the past.

So then why is Teflon Theory believed?

• Because of how American history is taught:
    • American history is taught as dates and people and facts that have little to do with each other. Sometimes the Effects of the the Civil War or Industrialization are studied, for example, but not so for the evil stuff – like how slavery and genocide led to present-day White American wealth, power and racism.
    • American history as taught rarely comes up to the present day. History becomes something in the past, in a book, not something we live in right now.
  • Because of the needs of White American self-image:
    • White Americans want to think they are Basically Good and their society is Basically Just. Without Teflon Theory that becomes laughable since it flies in the face of history, common sense and human nature.
    • White Americans avoid honestly facing up to their past because deep down they know it is ugly. Teflon Theory acts as a guard against having to take it seriously.
  • Because middle-class whites are protected from the ugly present:
    • Those who live in Apple-pie America rarely see first-hand the injustice that their comfortable lives are built on. And what injustice they do see on occasion, like black ghettos or wars on television fought overseas in their name, they have already learned to not see as injustice. But being protected from the ugly present makes the ugly past seem like another world, like it truly is ancient history with no bearing on the present.

thats racist,,,and more proof youre a racist,,,

Yes whites get preferential treatment. Human nature should allow you to understand how laws gave whites exclusive advantages which extended into our life time and how long whites have been afforded preferential treatment. Instead you have purposefully ignored all that to incorrectly describe a policy as well as an incorrect perception of unfair treatment. AA is not reparations for blacks as whites are part of the policy and have benefited the most.
I don't dispute there is racism and discrimination in our past and to this day and AA is meant to offset that, in other words, reparations. Blacks may be the victims but they are not the only victims so they are not the only group that should receive reparations so AA applies to all groups that were/are disadvantaged.

Native Americans have got monetary reparations.

Japanese got monetary reparations.

Black have not.

yes they have,,,and thats racist to say otherwise,,,

At a social event last night one of my NRA type friends brought politics into the conversation the other night and asked if I believed in Reparations for blacks. Slavery was terrible, the government should put a huge gold statue of Harriet Tubman stomping down a pig next to every crumbling Robert E Lee statue they can find, but I don't believe in Reparations. Sins of the past and all.

He then asked about Affirmative Action. I told him I will believe in Affirmative Action until the day I stop hearing racist comments and "jokes" from the ignorant masses. So this fellow who has let me shoot his Romanian AK said, "Guess we'll have Affirmative Action for awhile" and the mood got somber for a couple good reasons and everyone nodded.

Hopefully my fellow posters remember what they say goes into other's views on policy.

Typical Race thread:

IM2: You're a racist!

OTHER MEMBERS: No, YOU are!

IM2: Whites are shit! To blame for everything!

THE FACTS:
  1. Blacks have had equality for a long time if they only learn how to use it. Those that choose to have very good lives.
  2. We have long outgrown the idea of affirmative action! The very idea implies that some large groups of people in this country AREN'T equal and can only get there with the hand of government. Let everyone compete fairly in an open market.
  3. Truth is that most Whites have accepted Blacks long ago. It is truly an equal opportunity workforce. The main thing that keeps up the polarity, friction, tension and distance between Whites and Blacks is mostly the few who rather than taking advantage of opportunity and building a life for themselves and going about acting as an equal and just another person walking down the street constantly maintain this separate "culture" for Blacks as Blacks rather than just other Americans, and talk instead with anger and threats about injustice and demands with raised fists. People are frankly sick of it. It just polarizes society and keeps both people and police on edge that many Blacks simply aren't yet ready to join society at large as equals.
The race baiters just tune people out rather than bring them in. Want equality? Act equal. Go get an education, apply for loans, get a job and get a freeking life.

Those are nit the facts. IM2 did not start this thread. I believe it was started by Tornado3800.

A white person.

I have a masters degree in sociology. You go get one.

Yes whites get preferential treatment. Human nature should allow you to understand how laws gave whites exclusive advantages which extended into our life time and how long whites have been afforded preferential treatment. Instead you have purposefully ignored all that to incorrectly describe a policy as well as an incorrect perception of unfair treatment. AA is not reparations for blacks as whites are part of the policy and have benefited the most.
I don't dispute there is racism and discrimination in our past and to this day and AA is meant to offset that, in other words, reparations. Blacks may be the victims but they are not the only victims so they are not the only group that should receive reparations so AA applies to all groups that were/are disadvantaged.

Black have not.

Saying blacks have not got monetary reparations is correct, not racist.

Apparently I gave you too much credit:
  • Not getting a job interview because your name 'sounds' Black
  • Not getting to attend a good school because your parents live in a poor neighborhood
  • Not getting a good education because your parents didn't get one and don't know the value of it
  • Not getting to inherit wealth because you family faced discrimination in the past

you are losing it,

Unfortunately I didn't have to make any of them up. My father in his youth got a good job that probably would not have gone to an equally qualified Black man. My parents bought a house that later soared in value, in a neighborhood a Black family couldn't buy into.

Some portion of the poverty of Black families today in the US stems from our history of discrimination. Can anyone argue that is not true?

so you have to use the way back machine to find a problem that no longer exist,,,

got it,,

The Teflon Theory of American History says that anything that took place over 30 years ago is Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on the present. Or not much. Unless it was something good like the light bulb or the Declaration of Independence. Therefore those who make a big deal of the bad stuff in the past, like slavery, are Living in the Past and need to Get Over It.

For example:

Jim Crow laws were overturned by the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore according to Teflon Theory the Jim Crow period is now Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on how White Americans alive today think and act. None whatsoever. Or not much. So racism is pretty much dead.

Instead of Jim Crow’s effect slowly weakening over time like you would expect, Teflon Theory would have you suppose that it just disappeared like magic one afternoon sometime in the late 1960s. Even though many White Americans alive now were alive back in Jim Crow times. Even though many others were brought up and shaped by those who were alive back then: parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, writers, film directors, television producers, news editors and so on.

Few sit on a mountain top to come up with their beliefs all on their own. Instead most people pretty much go along with what everyone else already believes with maybe a few twists here and there. Such beliefs come from the past.

• American history is taught as dates and people and facts that have little to do with each other. Sometimes the Effects of the the Civil War or Industrialization are studied, for example, but not so for the evil stuff – like how slavery and genocide led to present-day White American wealth, power and racism.
    • American history as taught rarely comes up to the present day. History becomes something in the past, in a book, not something we live in right now.
    • White Americans want to think they are Basically Good and their society is Basically Just. Without Teflon Theory that becomes laughable since it flies in the face of history, common sense and human nature.
    • White Americans avoid honestly facing up to their past because deep down they know it is ugly. Teflon Theory acts as a guard against having to take it seriously.
    • Those who live in Apple-pie America rarely see first-hand the injustice that their comfortable lives are built on. And what injustice they do see on occasion, like black ghettos or wars on television fought overseas in their name, they have already learned to not see as injustice. But being protected from the ugly present makes the ugly past seem like another world, like it truly is ancient history with no bearing on the present.

Explain how this is racist.

At a social event last night one of my NRA type friends brought politics into the conversation the other night and asked if I believed in Reparations for blacks. Slavery was terrible, the government should put a huge gold statue of Harriet Tubman stomping down a pig next to every crumbling Robert E Lee statue they can find, but I don't believe in Reparations. Sins of the past and all.

He then asked about Affirmative Action. I told him I will believe in Affirmative Action until the day I stop hearing racist comments and "jokes" from the ignorant masses. So this fellow who has let me shoot his Romanian AK said, "Guess we'll have Affirmative Action for awhile" and the mood got somber for a couple good reasons and everyone nodded.

Hopefully my fellow posters remember what they say goes into other's views on policy.

Typical Race thread:

THE FACTS:
  1. Blacks have had equality for a long time if they only learn how to use it. Those that choose to have very good lives.
  2. We have long outgrown the idea of affirmative action! The very idea implies that some large groups of people in this country AREN'T equal and can only get there with the hand of government. Let everyone compete fairly in an open market.
  3. Truth is that most Whites have accepted Blacks long ago. It is truly an equal opportunity workforce. The main thing that keeps up the polarity, friction, tension and distance between Whites and Blacks is mostly the few who rather than taking advantage of opportunity and building a life for themselves and going about acting as an equal and just another person walking down the street constantly maintain this separate "culture" for Blacks as Blacks rather than just other Americans, and talk instead with anger and threats about injustice and demands with raised fists. People are frankly sick of it. It just polarizes society and keeps both people and police on edge that many Blacks simply aren't yet ready to join society at large as equals.
The race baiters just tune people out rather than bring them in. Want equality? Act equal. Go get an education, apply for loans, get a job and get a freeking life.

Those are nit the facts. IM2 did not start this thread. I believe it was started by Tornado3800.

A white person.

Sociologists. The biggest useless idiots on the planet. Kill all the sociologists tomorrow and no one would notice nor care. I'm an electrical engineer with a brain and a background in math and physics. Go get one. A brain that is. Figured I'd have to explain that to you.

Typical Race thread:

THE FACTS:

A white person.

Sociologists. The biggest useless idiots on the planet. Kill all the sociologists tomorrow and no one would notice nor care. I'm an electrical engineer with a brain and a background in math and physics. Go get one. A brain that is. Figured I'd have to explain that to you.

We all can do math and physics. If I had been interested in that during college I would have majored in it. One can chose to set up electrical systems or one can choose to work on fixing the society that uses the electronics. There ain't no math equation that will reduce homelessness and I 've had engineers as clients because they we sooooo smart, they got strung out on coke.

Black have not.

thats racist to say that,,,

you are losing it,

got it,,

For example:

its self evident,its because youre a racist you dont see it

Black have not.

Explain.

Black have not.

Explain.

its self evident,,,only a racist wouldnt see that,,,

got it,,

For example:

So you cannot explain because it is not racist.

got it,,

For example:

because I'm not a racist I can see it is,,,

Black have not.

Explain.

It's not and you know it's not. If you explain how it was you would. You're just like the other white supremacists who come here. Anything criticizing whites is racist, no matter if it is documented fact. Nothing I've said was racist and I am not going to shut up.

For example:

You're a white supremacist. I can see that.

Explain.

It's not and you know it's not. If you explain how it was you would. You're just like the other white supremacists who come here. Anything criticizing whites is racist, no matter if it is documented fact. Nothing I've said was racist and I am not going to shut up.

who said I'm white???

and only a racist would bring race into it,,,

You're a white supremacist. I can see that.

you can see I'm white on a computer screen full of words???

thats very racist of you to think that,,,
see more proof youre a racist,,,

“From the masses”....bullshit

If Blacks ever got reparations in the form of cash payments the majority of Americans would be appalled and disgusted...including most African Americans....
So bring it on....and watch the dems sink future into the abyss....
Why would African Americans who are the people asking for reparations be appalled and disgusted?

Why do you low rent, dumb, white racist imbeciles think you can speak for blacks?
Because most people black and white have too much pride to take it....guess that doesn't include you....

To take money owed to us?
When were you enslaved?

You brag all the time of all your supposed achievements and how you have been able to retire off them, so why do you demand white people support you further?

What person A did to person B back in 1800 doesn't mean person C owes person D for it.

I realize your whole schtik involves escaping responsibility, but this one takes the cake.

If Blacks ever got reparations in the form of cash payments the majority of Americans would be appalled and disgusted...including most African Americans....
So bring it on....and watch the dems sink future into the abyss....
Why would African Americans who are the people asking for reparations be appalled and disgusted?

Why do you low rent, dumb, white racist imbeciles think you can speak for blacks?
Because most people black and white have too much pride to take it....guess that doesn't include you....

To take money owed to us?
When were you enslaved?

You brag all the time of all your supposed achievements and how you have been able to retire off them, so why do you demand white people support you further?

What person A did to person B back in 1800 doesn't mean person C owes person D for it.

I realize your whole schtik involves escaping responsibility, but this one takes the cake.

We supported whites from at least 1776 until 1965. You owe. That's why you have what you have. What the government has done to blacks since 1776 is what we are talking. I'm fine, better than you mr I own a business and hired employees but I am on the internet all day posting dumb ass, zero IQ, white supremacist bullshit. I'm here because I'm retired, bored and it's not yet football season. Unlike you, I really did help build 3 organizations. If reparations were handed out tomorrow, I would not take the check. I would rather my part be used to help physically rebuild damaged black communities done so by maggots like you. I've taken responsibility all my life. I don't run my mouth off about while denying what it really is like you do.

Forum List

Back