Remembering Robert E. Lee: American Patriot and Southern Hero

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Robert E. Lee was a great American. He deserves a holiday

CIVIL WAR OP-ED Remembering Robert E. Lee American Patriot and Southern Hero Huntington News

Sir Winston Churchill called General Robert E. Lee, “one of the noblest Americans who ever lived.”

Please let me call to your attention that Monday, January 19, 2015, is the 208th birthday of Robert E. Lee, whose memory is still dear in the hearts of many Southerners. Why is this man so honored in the South and respected in the North? Lee was even respected by the soldiers of Union blue who fought against him during the War Between the States.

What is your community doing to commemorate the birthday of this great American?

General Lee’s portrait adorns the State Capitol in Atlanta where the Georgia Division Sons of Confederate Veterans hosted their 1st Lee birthday in 1988. The SCV will host their annual Robert E. Lee birthday celebration on Saturday January 17, 2015 at Georgia’s Old Secession Capitol on Greene Street in Milledgeville. Read more at: 2015 Annual Robert E Lee Birthday Celebration

During Robert E. Lee's 100th birthday in 1907, Charles Francis Adams, Jr., a former Union Commander and grandson of US President John Quincy Adams, spoke in tribute to Robert E. Lee at Washington and Lee College's Lee Chapel in Lexington, Virginia. His speech was printed in both Northern and Southern newspapers and is said to had lifted Lee to a renewed respect among the American people.

And In Lexington, Virginia events are scheduled for the birthday of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on January 16th and 17th. Read more at: Home - Lee-Jackson Day Lexington VA

Dr. Edward C. Smith, respected African-American Professor of History at American University in Washington, D.C. , told the audience in Atlanta, Ga. during a 1995 Robert E. Lee birthday event, quote 'Dr. Martin Luther King and Robert E. Lee were individuals worthy of emulation because they understood history.' Unquote

bad general. Left almost 40% of his soldiers in most of his berserker battles. And why he went to Gettysburg is a mystery

Good educator though.

bad general. Left almost 40% of his soldiers in most of his berserker battles. And why he went to Gettysburg is a mystery

Good educator though.

I agree that he made a big mistake at Gettysburg. However, he was a lot better than all the union generals.

Grant was a whole lot better. His casually rate was for his worst battles was 28%. He also didn't through live away like Lee did. His battles were logical. Viksburg was fight the same day. The campain was fought at the same time.... mid may to July. That alone should put paid to the discussion of who was a better general

Good educator though.

I agree that he made a big mistake at Gettysburg. However, he was a lot better than all the union generals.
Maybe he was somewhat competent because he was removed for 32 years of the ignorance of the south and educated in the U.S. Military.
He was smart enough to state that the southern states had no Constitutional right to secession so he wasn't a total ignorant hick.

Lee was a bold, energetic general who reached too far.

Grant was the only General to destroy an enemy army in the field during the Civil War: he did it twice.

Good educator though.

Maybe he was somewhat competent because he was removed for 32 years of the ignorance of the south and educated in the U.S. Military.
He was smart enough to state that the southern states had no Constitutional right to secession so he wasn't a total ignorant hick.

he was better educated than you and of higher character

Love what happened to his house....we should do stuff like that today.

You mean you favor having the government expropriate people's property?

I'm not surprised that you don't give a crap about the Bill of Rights.

Love what happened to his house....we should do stuff like that today.

You mean you favor having the government expropriate people's property?

I'm not surprised that you don't give a crap about the Bill of Rights.

He committed treason and forfeited his holdings...that they buried war dead on his back porch was fitting...as is your worship of a treasonous figure in American history.

It's racist to celebrate anyone who fought for slavery.

" the only good Indian is a dead Indian", WT Sherman
that is a misquote, and it is from Sheridan. The correct quote is in response to an indian saying "me good indian" Sheridan said "all the good indians I know are dead" A massacre of indians had occurred of those Sheridan had gotten onto a reservation. A very different quote than what you offered up

Good educator though.

he was better educated than you and of higher character
You sound like a complete imbecile.
So I guess all those science courses I have taken and all the technological and humanities courses I have passed were around hundreds of years ago and at the same level of discovery as now...lol.

You sound so stupid you must come from the South, unfortunately you make the smart ones look stupid also.

Forum List

Back