Religious scholar Reza Aslan destroys ‘charlatan’ Joel Osteen: Jesus hated wealth

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
This guy is brilliant:

Religious scholar Reza Aslan destroys ‘charlatan’ Joel Osteen: Jesus hated wealth

I love this quote -

“I love all fictional presentations of Jesus. I think they are fantastic, whether it is the Last Temptation of Christ or The Passion — both of which are fiction. But — sorry about that, did I break that to you? — but again for me what is fascinating about those is it is just a representation of what I have been talking about all along, which is the incredible malleability of the Christ story, the way that it can become whatever you want it to become.”

The same can be said for OT stories as well - Christian bend and mold them mean what they want them to mean…

“The fastest growing Protestant movement in North America is this movement that is referred to as the prosperity gospel,” he said. “This is the gospel preached by people like Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes — and when I say people, I mean charlatans. The argument of the prosperity gospel, if I can put it flippantly, is that Jesus wants you to drive a Bentley. That is basically what the argument is. That what Jesus wants for you is material prosperity, and that if you literally give, you will literally be given tenfold. That’s not a metaphor, as it is in most churches. It is literal. You give me $10 and Jesus will give you $100.”

“This is as profoundly an unscriptural interpretation of Jesus that exists,” Aslan remarked. “I mean, if there is one thing that is just so clear cut and just not open to interpretation at all of any kind when it comes to Jesus’s message, it is his condemnation of wealth.”

“And yet, not only does this version of Christianity exist, as I say, it is honestly the fastest growing version of Protestant evangelical Christianity in North America. That’s because Jesus can be whatever you want him to be, and the Christian message can be whatever you want it to be.”

Evangelicals hate that notion that Christianity can be whatever you want it to be -- they think they have one and only correct version of the Bible and its meaning…. They forget they are sub-sects of sub-sects… a rebirth of a sub-sect. Not very original.

The Christian Church Timeline:

Roman Catholic / Eastern Orthodox - the first two and original Christian Churches.

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

America Puritans, Quakers, Baptists….

1730's (1700 years later) Evangelical term is coined.

Then…. Mormons (the only true American religion)

This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

“I love all fictional presentations of Jesus. I think they are fantastic, whether it is the Last Temptation of Christ or The Passion — both of which are fiction. But — sorry about that, did I break that to you? — but again for me what is fascinating about those is it is just a representation of what I have been talking about all along, which is the incredible malleability of the Christ story, the way that it can become whatever you want it to become.”

The same can be said for OT stories as well - Christian bend and mold them mean what they want them to mean…

“The fastest growing Protestant movement in North America is this movement that is referred to as the prosperity gospel,” he said. “This is the gospel preached by people like Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes — and when I say people, I mean charlatans. The argument of the prosperity gospel, if I can put it flippantly, is that Jesus wants you to drive a Bentley. That is basically what the argument is. That what Jesus wants for you is material prosperity, and that if you literally give, you will literally be given tenfold. That’s not a metaphor, as it is in most churches. It is literal. You give me $10 and Jesus will give you $100.”

“This is as profoundly an unscriptural interpretation of Jesus that exists,” Aslan remarked. “I mean, if there is one thing that is just so clear cut and just not open to interpretation at all of any kind when it comes to Jesus’s message, it is his condemnation of wealth.”

“And yet, not only does this version of Christianity exist, as I say, it is honestly the fastest growing version of Protestant evangelical Christianity in North America. That’s because Jesus can be whatever you want him to be, and the Christian message can be whatever you want it to be.”

Evangelicals hate that notion that Christianity can be whatever you want it to be -- they think they have one and only correct version of the Bible and its meaning…. They forget they are sub-sects of sub-sects… a rebirth of a sub-sect. Not very original.

I'll wait for the Money-Worshipping "Christians" amongst us to step up and defend this new version of Christ as a cash dispensing benevolent banker.

Jesus did not hate wealth.

Note: This is not a defense of Joel Osteen, simply a correction of a pretentious idiot that can't read.

That's the "World Council of Churches" (Google that) view of religion which wants a watered down, accept everything and Bow Down to Authority style of "religion".

It's NOT Christianity.

So if I wanted Jesus to be a "Satanic, Child molesting Pedophile" that would be ok in this church?

This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Roman Catholic / Eastern Orthodox - the first two and original Christian Churches.

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

I think Reza is a hottie. LOL!

This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

The JW,s are the only ones to fulfill this--Daniel 12:4

Every teacher on the planet, that tell one they are saved or born again are far removed from God.

Last edited:
This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

Hahah. You a girl or guy?

Whole video:

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

Hahah. You a girl or guy?

Whole video:

Female. But I'd still think he was hot if I were a guy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the "World Council of Churches" (Google that) view of religion which wants a watered down, accept everything and Bow Down to Authority style of "religion".

It's NOT Christianity.

So if I wanted Jesus to be a "Satanic, Child molesting Pedophile" that would be ok in this church?

Bowing Down to Authority is the essence of any religion isn't it? Aren't Christians required to obey God's and Christ's commandments without ammending them to suit their preferred life style? I doubt very much your last question makes sense to any congregation but if you really want an answer don't ask an athiest. We cast a skeptical eye on all supernatural beliefs and see strange mythical beings (angels, demons, giants, dragons, taliking serpents) as being not just OK but required in the Judeo-Christian narrative.

You and the author don't like Christianity we get it. You and the author feel a strong desire to defame and trash Evangelical Christianity we get it!

Joel Osteen, stands in front of thousands, he doesn't know many of them. He is an ear tickler for the tithe--he assures workers of iniquity( Matt 7:21-23) they are born again( saved) just by saying 3 lines of prayer with him.--that is 100% bull. This is the real way one is born again--Ephesians 4:22-24---by stripping off the old personality( worker of iniquity) and putting on the new personality( righteousness) and not looking back. Baptists teach those false things as well.
We are no longer under the tithe---Jesus gave a parable--the teachers all put their tithes in, a little old woman put in 2 small coins( out of her heart)--Jesus said her 2 coins had more value than all the tithes put together--we are not under tithe law---Jesus wants out of ones heart. These are the tithe teachers-2Cor 11:12-15

This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

I enjoyed his book Zealot.

This guy is brilliant:

I love this quote -

Then….

Protestant.
Lutheran.

Then…. much later.

'Prosperity ministries' are an abomination. It's like what white supremacists do taking the Bible and editing it in such a way so as to justify their irrationality and sense of superiority.

God is not poor. I don't agree with much of what Osteen has to say, but, this Raza guy is just a hazelnutjob, :D who has no clue what the Bible says, or about true Christians.

Funny you brought this up. My wife wanted to quit her job, and yesterday she did. I was worried about things for a few hours, a few prayers later, and I sell a 300 dollar comic, and then a 1000 dollar comic. That is more than she would have made in a month. No need to worry anymore, my God is not broke. :lol:

How much did your god profit you this week hazelnutjob?

God is not poor. I don't agree with much of what Osteen has to say, but, this Raza guy is just a hazelnutjob, :D who has no clue what the Bible says, or about true Christians.

Funny you brought this up. My wife wanted to quit her job, and yesterday she did. I was worried about things for a few hours, a few prayers later, and I sell a 300 dollar comic, and then a 1000 dollar comic. That is more than she would have made in a month. No need to worry anymore, my God is not broke. :lol:

1233796371590.gif

1233796371590.gif

By your response, I would guess your god didn't profit you this last week, either. To bad about that. Maybe if you watch more tv and play on the internet more, your god can give you a dollar or 2...:rofl:

Jesus did not hate wealth.

Note: This is not a defense of Joel Osteen, simply a correction of a pretentious idiot that can't read.

I would agree. Jesus did not despise wealth except if it is acquired by fleecing people thoroughly deceived in the name of the Lord.

"So I tell you, use your worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when money is a thing of the past you will be received into an eternal abode.." luke 16:9

Forum List

Back