Religion in politics/schools

Why would atheists ever do anything that actually helps others?

But listen to them piss and moan about how "horrible" Christians are to their fellow man.

If it wasn't so weird, it would be funny.

Because helping others provides both psychological benefits and strengthens your social network. If one thing is evident about the human experience, it is that strong social networks ensure survival.

Thus, it is to everyone's personal advantage to create a strong social network, and this is done through generosity. Even the most tyrannical dictator needs to have an inner circle with whom he is generous. When he fails to appropriately reward his inner circle, the tyrant is deposed, assassinated.

This realization has made me far more generous than did my old fear of hell.

Last edited:

For the answer to that question, perhaps consider attending a meeting of the Ethical Society. There are many atheists dedicated to helping others, some of whom are members of the Ethical Society.

Philosophy and Beliefs | The Ethical Society of St. Louis

There's all sorts of people in the world. Some believe in God and use that belief to justify screwing people over, killing, and hurting. Some believe in God and use that belief as a basis for helping others. Some don't believe in God and based on that think there is nothing more important than helping others. Some don't believe in God and are selfish people. There's really no difference between the religious and atheists on the large scales when it comes to ethical treatment of others. And in terms of history - statistically and on a large scale - atheists have treated their fellow humans far better than many who have acted based on their belief in God, though in my opinion most of that is due to the religious power. See the crusades and the inquisition for examples. In the end, I think there's good people and bad people and shades of gray in between, and I haven't noticed more or less of any of them in any one belief group.

Forum List

Back