Reasons I like Ted Cruz for POTUS

Cruz is the 21st century version of the 1950s Joe McCarthy.

CruzFizzle is tied to the shutdown forever, and that ended any chance for the presidency.

You are hoping the public finally concludes Obamacare is a GOOD thing.

Unfortunately for you, it ain't workin out that way.

At the end of the day we will see that Obamacare is BAD for America and would enslave us forever.

Massachusetts is doing okay with RomneyCare.

CruzFizzle is tied to the shutdown forever, and that ended any chance for the presidency.

At the end of the day we will see that Obamacare is BAD for America and would enslave us forever.

Um, no one wants a McCarthyite, ever.

This is not about whether ACA is good or not, it is what Cruz did. CruzFizzle shot himself down when he encouraged the House to shut down the government.

He is forever tainted.

Massachusetts is doing okay with RomneyCare.

In her blog entitled, "Neo-Neocon", neoneocon.com this former liberal* rejects the notion that the two health care plans are alike in the parts that matter. "Romneycare, Obamacare: same or different?"

October 30th, 2013

Romneycare, Obamacare: same or different?

[NOTE: I wrote the gist of this piece last night and was just polishing it up for publication when I noticed that Obama is giving a speech in Boston that apparently advances the "Obamacare was a Republican idea" argument I discuss here. If so (I haven't read it or heard it yet), how diabolically clever and---if I may use a favorite word of his---audacious of him. I wonder whether that will be the prelude to a future claim that we need a real Democratic solution rather than a half-baked Republican one: single payer.]

Remember the big Romneycare battle during the 2012 primaries and election? That Obamacare was just Romneycare writ large?

As Obamacare runs into troubles, expect more of that as an argument from the left, “We were just enacting a Republican idea, so don’t blame us, blame them“—even though “they” didn’t vote for it.

I wrote a lot about Romneycare during 2011 and 2012 and how it differed from Obamacare and also from what Romney had wanted enacted in Massachusetts and from what Republicans in general had proposed (including, of course, the state-vs-federal government question). The Boston Globe, which had covered Romneycare in some depth, wrote:

Romney…hated the employer mandate and vetoed the provision that employers of 11 or more offer coverage or face a penalty of $295 per employee. This veto, and seven others aimed at less controversial aspects of the law, were easily overridden by the Democratic Legislature.

Romney considers the Massachusetts plan needlessly gold-plated; he would have pushed for a much cheaper version that allowed minimal coverage options.

He believes the Massachusetts health connector, the insurance exchange which the Obama plan would emulate, has created an excessive regulatory burden, imposing too many requirements on what commercial insurers must offer for a policy to qualify as “minimum creditable coverage’’ under the law. His proposal, to require only a bare-bones policy that covered hospitalization and catastrophic illness, was rejected by the Legislature…

Romney also wanted a way for those of means to opt out of the mandate by posting a bond — essentially a promise to pay for future uninsured health care costs. Critics called it a “fig leaf’’ and Romney concedes that few would have taken advantage — just as only a handful choose a similar option to post a $10,000 bond rather than buy compulsory auto insurance in Massachusetts.

But the principle mattered to him, and the failure of the Legislature to agree still rankles…

And as for those on the economic margin, Romney thought that no one, however poor, should get insurance for no cost at all. He advocated a small premium, even a few dollars a month, for the neediest, but the Legislature balked.

It’s interesting to note how different Obamacare (and even Romneycare) would have been if they had actually followed Romney’s recommendations. But twas not to be. And now the issue gains renewed importance.

This article by Avik Roy is the clearest and most cogent explanation of another major difference between the two:

In 1996, the heavily Democratic state legislature passed the Non-Group Health Insurance Reform Act, which transformed the individual market for health insurance, the market for people who shop for private insurance on their own.

The contours of that bill will sound familiar to observers of the Obamacare debate; it forced insurers in the individual market to cover everyone, regardless of pre-existing conditions, and it forced insurers to charge nearly equal rates to the young and the old, despite the fact that younger people consume very little health care. Governor Weld signed it into law.

The predictable happened. Because people could stay uninsured until they were sick, and then sign up for insurance afterwards, premiums shot up for the chumps who stayed continuously insured through health and illness. Over time, fewer and fewer people could afford insurance on the individual market; eHealthInsurance.com dropped out of the state entirely.

Romneycare, for all its flaws, was a way to bring Massachusetts’ individual insurance market back from the brink. It didn’t repeal the destructive but popular provisions from 1996; instead, it required everyone to buy health insurance — the infamous individual mandate — in order to make the market function again. It also merged the individual-insurance market into the one for small employers, in order to stabilize the former.

With a legislature that was 85% Democrat, there was nothing Romney could do to go backwards and do away with the requirement for equal rates and mandated coverage for pre-existing conditions. But he did what he could to move the Massachusetts healthcare insurance system to the right of where it had been before, and he wanted to move it even further right by vetoing certain of its provisions, vetoes which the Massachusetts legislature promptly overruled.

Details matter—a lot. But how many people pay attention to them? Obama is counting on the fact that they don’t, and won’t.

* - neo-neocon » Blog Archive » Romneycare, Obamacare: same or different?

* - You may also check this page at her site explaining her political conversion.

Last edited:
Cruz is the 21st century ersion of the 1950s Joe McCarthy.

Yes, and now we are finding out that Cruz was right about Obamacare all along. The shutdown exposed D.C. established politicos as greedy, selfish, and narcissistic a-holes who showed utter contempt and disrespect towards those who dared disagree with them. I doubt too many Americans are going to forget that.

This is not about whether ACA is good or not, it is what Cruz did. CruzFizzle shot himself down when he encouraged the House to shut down the government.

He is forever tainted.

The more you call him an imitation of McCarthy, which he isn't, the more we are inclined to bring up the MANY and distinctly similar qualities shared by McCarthy and OBAMA!!!

Just keep calling him McCarthy.

Go ahead.

Make us mad.

See what it gets you.

:D

Ted Cruz would never win the votes of the largest voting segment in the country, the moderates. He's too far to the right. Without the moderate vote Cruz would lose, badly. It's just that simple.

Well, yours is certainly one way of looking at the situation. I think, however, that Sen. Cruz is a sharp guy. I believe he will look at the situation, assemble a great set of advisors and they will be quite able to communicate the truths here.

Ted Cruz is the guy.

A 21st Century version of the early 1960's JFK era style of patriotism which embraced the traditional values.

It's about fuckin' time we had a Canadian in the White House.

Hockey, poutine and politeness for everyone!

Ted Cruz would never win the votes of the largest voting segment in the country, the moderates. He's too far to the right. Without the moderate vote Cruz would lose, badly. It's just that simple.

Well, yours is certainly one way of looking at the situation. I think, however, that Sen. Cruz is a sharp guy. I believe he will look at the situation, assemble a great set of advisors and they will be quite able to communicate the truths here.

Ted Cruz is the guy.

A 21st Century version of the early 1960's JFK era style of patriotism which embraced the traditional values.

It's about fuckin' time we had a Canadian in the White House.

Hockey, poutine and politeness for everyone!

image.png

On behalf of the United States, I respectfully request that Canada stop exporting their lunatics to the US. Cease and desist, sir! :lol:

Says the poster with the avatar that looks like a Japanese lunatic. Is he one of your honorable ancestors?

That was so funny I forgot to laugh....seriously.

I see.

Last time I'll give you credit for recognizing attempts at rapprochement.

So, please explain why we should trust anything you say which involves your opinion?

Last edited:
At least he isn't a pathologic liar.

A POTUS needs to be loyal to the US and we now see that can't be assured by the "Natural Born Citizen" clause even if the person was born in Hawaii...but raised in the third world.

Hell, in his formative years his friends were likely to have HATED the USA and maybe HE was the LEAST radical but the most gifted intellectually and otherwise.

I understand and am willing to give these guys and women some latitude in the area of ethics in government because they are practicing deal making and that is just an unfortunate by-product of the process.

But when the PRESIDENT LIES TO THE PEOPLE TO GET WHAT WILL BENEFIT MOSTLY HIMSELF AND HIS CRONIES BUT AT OUR EXPENSE...he has crossed the line.

What do you do when you find out your employee has been intentionally lying to you?

You fire him.

It's time to fire Obama.

He is forever tainted.

"The more you call him an imitation of McCarthy, which he isn't, the more we are inclined to bring up the MANY and distinctly similar qualities shared by McCarthy and OBAMA!!! Just keep calling him McCarthy. Go ahead. Make us mad. See what it gets you. :D

Getting you mad is immaterial, because all are mad as loons.

What it will get us is that CruzFizzle will never get the nomination and will not be re-elected.

He is forever tainted.

"The more you call him an imitation of McCarthy, which he isn't, the more we are inclined to bring up the MANY and distinctly similar qualities shared by McCarthy and OBAMA!!! Just keep calling him McCarthy. Go ahead. Make us mad. See what it gets you. :D

Getting you mad is immaterial, because all are mad as loons.

What it will get us is that CruzFizzle will never get the nomination and will not be re-elected.

Says the court jester of USMB.

Let's wait and see.

In the meantime, you ever notice how it seems there is a bucket with all the good and bad quality traits and human characteristics in it and in the case of Barack Obama it seems he and Sen. Joe McCarthy got an extra helping of the manipulation and lying traits.

Don't you agree?

Isn't that an ironic twist of fate?

McCarthy hated Commies and Obama's mother loved Commies and her offspring would go on to become U.S. POTUS and help the cause of Commies and totalitarianism by using McCarthy's tactics.

Wow!

Who'd a thunk it!?!

Totalitarianism or totalitarian state is a term used by some political scientists to describe a political system in which the state holds total authority over the society and seeks to control all aspects of public and private life wherever possible.[1]

Reasons I like Ted Cruz for POTUS

I will use this thread to point out the reasons I think Ted Cruz should be our next President.

Let's start with Sen. Cruz's masterful exchange with then Sen. Chuck Hagel in his Senate confirmation hearing for the position of Sec'y of Defense.

Ted Cruz Explains why he is against Hagel to his face in a masterful takedown on his nomination - YouTube

Hagel deserved being in the Hot Seat. He shouldn't have been confirmed.

Anybody notice how much cruz's voice is like hannity's? He even interrupts like hannity. This will do well in elections where most of the right wing voters get most of their opinons based on what comes out of fox central.

You seem like a nice guy. Just be sure not to cozy up to the jihadists on these boards who say the same exact things you are saying.

BTW, are you a jihadist?

Nope, basically I love my country. Got my honorable discharge, always worked and paid my taxes . Who are the jihadists here? The ones against the 1/2 of 1 percenters getting more and more while the working class gets stiffed? But really, listening to the clip, I saw the similarity in voices, and the similarity in the right wing posts here being usually in sync with what comes out of fox central.

Forum List

Back