Reality Imitating Art

People who think we should have stricter gun laws will probably use it as an example. I'm not sure who this "left" is you refer to.

George Stephanopoulos is already on it, as is Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D. Col)

CNN's Piers Morgan Tweets a Call for More Gun Control.

I mean the whackadoodle morons that assault liberty and support Obama.

I am often called a "leftist" and I personally think there should be fewer restrictions. However, I will disagree with you about Hollywood. They just put out entertainment.

Be that as it may; we have a situation here where a deranged person acted out a scene from a movie, actually at that very movie, leaving 12 dead and 50 wounded. In no other product would the producer of said product be without any culpability for the resultant deaths.

They make what sells. They are not responsible for those who lose their grip on reality.

Yet Piers Morgan says that gun makers are. Why the double standard from the left? Because Hollywood funds Obama?

I am having trouble with your logic. The man killed people with a gun but you don't think the people who sold him the gun have any responsibility. He used the gun (apparently, we don't really know at this point) to act out an idea. But the people who sold him the idea do have responsibility? Why the one but not the other? Why the double standard?

I am having trouble with your logic. The man killed people with a gun but you don't think the people who sold him the gun have any responsibility.

I'm having trouble with your logic. We have a man who killed people according to script, but you don't think the people who wrote the script, that he followed to the letter, have any responsibility.

He used the gun (apparently, we don't really know at this point) to act out an idea. But the people who sold him the idea do have responsibility? Why the one but not the other? Why the double standard?

Guns are inanimate objects, they can do nothing. Ideas though, they have a life of their own.

As I said from the outset, I'm playing devils advocate, I don't actually want the film producers held liable, I'm just making a point.

I am having trouble with your logic. The man killed people with a gun but you don't think the people who sold him the gun have any responsibility.

I'm having trouble with your logic. We have a man who killed people according to script, but you don't think the people who wrote the script, that he followed to the letter, have any responsibility.

He used the gun (apparently, we don't really know at this point) to act out an idea. But the people who sold him the idea do have responsibility? Why the one but not the other? Why the double standard?

Guns are inanimate objects, they can do nothing. Ideas though, they have a life of their own.

As I said from the outset, I'm playing devils advocate, I don't actually want the film producers held liable, I'm just making a point.

I understand and accept your devil's advocate role. I'm cool with that. Let me devil back at you.

It was the inanimate objects, specifically the bullets fired by the gun, which caused the damage. Not the idea. I can idea at you all day long and it won't bother you at all. Firing a bullet at you is an entirely different matter.

But no, I do not see any responsibility on the part of the writers, actors, producers, etc of this movie. It is in no way their fault. I also see no responsibility of the gun manufacturer or the gun seller. It was entirely the fault of the man who pulled the trigger.

No matter what I might sell you, no matter what idea I might share with you, only you are responsible for what you do. Assuming you are mentally competent, of course.

I understand and accept your devil's advocate role. I'm cool with that. Let me devil back at you.

It was the inanimate objects, specifically the bullets fired by the gun, which caused the damage. Not the idea. I can idea at you all day long and it won't bother you at all. Firing a bullet at you is an entirely different matter.

True, but without the idea, the bullets sit harmlessly in a box. The idea motivates the actor to act, regardless of tools.

The idea didn't need the bullets, as the bombs in Holmes' apartment clearly shows. He could have killed through a dozen means. He threw a smoke grenade, so poison gas was well within his ability. This guy was going to kill, the idea to kill was there and he was going to do it. Bullets were just a handy tool.

But no, I do not see any responsibility on the part of the writers, actors, producers, etc of this movie. It is in no way their fault. I also see no responsibility of the gun manufacturer or the gun seller. It was entirely the fault of the man who pulled the trigger.

No matter what I might sell you, no matter what idea I might share with you, only you are responsible for what you do. Assuming you are mentally competent, of course.

I actually agree with you completely.

True, but without the idea, the bullets sit harmlessly in a box. The idea motivates the actor to act, regardless of tools.

The idea didn't need the bullets, as the bombs in Holmes' apartment clearly shows. He could have killed through a dozen means. He threw a smoke grenade, so poison gas was well within his ability. This guy was going to kill, the idea to kill was there and he was going to do it. Bullets were just a handy tool.

I actually agree with you completely.

I figured you did, but responding to the devil in you.....

Whether he used bullets, bombs or gas, it would have been those inanimate objects that actually caused the harm. Not the idea. Take away the tools, and the idea has no power at all. So it would appear that to do something like this you need both. Equal partners. If you blame the one and not the other, that is a double standard.

So I agree with your earlier statement that to blame the gun and not the idea is a double standard.

Forum List

Back