Rape in the U.S. military

Discussion in 'Military' started by waltky, Dec 29, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,863
    A growing problem in the military...
    :mad:
    Sexual assaults reported on rise at U.S. military academies
    Wed December 28, 2011 - Defense Dept.: Reports rose by nearly 60 percent during the 2010-2011 academic year; DoD notes efforts by academies to encourage reporting may figure in increase; Report found most academy programs met requirements of existing policies; Among new DoD policies is lengthened holding period for records of sexual assaults

2. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    MajGen Hertog stated that the academies are like other college campuses. No they are not. The competition to get in is incredible. The five service academies cost the U.S. taxpayer tons of money.

One of the areas for improvement was to share best practices with the other academies. Really???
    Sexual assault reports are up 60 percent and you are going to swap success secrets.

Part of the problem is that the leadership has allowed the academies to be like other college campuses. They need to start running them like the military schools in which they were intended. The taxpayer deserves no less.

3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I know the Air Force Academy has had this problem for years, on Active duty there is a zero tolerance policy towards this, I wonder why its so prevalent now in the Military Academies?

4. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I would guess that when the general stated that the academies are like other college campuses, she meant that they have young people and they have hormones.

One cannot legislate the heart or morality, and apparently not the genitals. As I said, the huge difference in the five service academies is the cost to the taxpayer. Once the selection process is complete, the Academy leadership is tasked with molding and controlling these future leaders.

Is there too lax of a command climate? I don't know. The Naval Academy officers I served with ran the gamut from great to crappy. The other source officers did the same. My son was recruited for football from four of the five service academies. He chose to go the civilian route and entered the Marine Corps through another officer accession method.

How he and his peers end up serving the United States in the next 4 or 20 plus years remains to be seen. One thing for sure though is that he and none of his non-academy peers have a rape or other felony on their record. If they did, they would not be military officers nor be a burden to the taxpayer.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701
    Don't persue a career in law chimp face. You might be surprised to know that "sexual assault" is not necessarily rape.

6. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Who the fuck are you talking to?:doubt:

7. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I talked a few Officers who had graduated from the Air Force academy and from what they had told me it is a very controlled environment for the first few years, they have strict curfews and rules they have to adhere to, however on the other hand the officer I had talked to did get a DUI while at the Academy, so there is probably more there than what he told me.

8. SayMyName

SayMyName Live, Love, Laugh.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I agree.

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,863
    Lawmaker prods military rape legislation...
    :cool:
    U.S. military must change how it deals with rape, lawmaker says
    March 7, 2012, U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier on Wednesday castigated the U.S. military for its policies in dealing with rape and sexual assault and repeated her call for legislation to fix a system she said was broken.

10. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739
    This is yet another military hit piece. Why don't you compare the numbers to regular college rape/sexual assault levels?

&#9632;One in 5 college women are raped during their college years.
    &#9632;Most survivors of sexual assaults are full-time students. Approximately one-third of them are first year students between 17-19 years old.
    &#9632;In survey of 412 college students, it was found that 11.7% of gay or bisexual men and 30.6% of the lesbian or bisexual women indicated that they had been forced to have sex against their will at some point in their lives.
    &#9632;81% of women who were stalked by a current or former partner were also physically assaulted by that same partner (US Department of Justice, 1998)
    &#9632; 80-90% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by individuals known to the survivor.
    &#9632;85% of rapes are committed by a person the victim knows.
    &#9632;In a recent study by the National Institute of Justice, survivors of rape knew their attackers as: Fellow classmates (35.5%) Friends (34.2%) Boyfriends or ex-boyfriends (23.7%)
    Acquaintances (2.6%)
    &#9632;One in 12 college men admitted to committing acts that met the legal definition of rape.
    &#9632;More than one in 5 men report &#8220;becoming so sexually aroused that they could not stop themselves from having sex,&#8221; even though the woman did not consent.
    &#9632;35% of men report some likelihood that they would rape if they could be assured they wouldn&#8217;t be caught or punished.
    &#9632;81% of on-campus and 84% of off-campus sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
    &#9632;Fewer than 5% of attempted/completed rapes are reported to law enforcement.
    &#9632;Nearly 60% of rapes occur in the survivor&#8217;s residence hall.
    &#9632;52% of reported rapes/sexual assaults occur after midnight; 37% occur between 6pm and midnight.
    &#9632;In a survey of students at 171 institutions of higher education, alcohol was involved in 74% of all sexual assaults.

National Statistics about Sexual Violence on College Campuses | Dr. Kathleen Young: Treating Trauma

Don't hear much liberal outcry over the sexual assault/rape epidemic happening at universities all over the country. Instead they have to focus on the institutions that they hate .....namely the military.