Rant for dog owners

A few years ago, someone started a thread (here or on Faacebook - I can't recall) saying they were finally able to get a dog. It would be their first dog ever.

They asked for advice and then asked what was the hardest part of having a dog. In a very short time there were dozens of replies. All saying the same thing. "The end".

I have a friend who is a veterinarian. Good guy with a calling. I saw him yesterday at a music festival and we had a chance to catch up.

He started talking about the hardest parts of his job. Hands down, the hardest part is putting pets to sleep. He knows these animals were loved and cherished. He said it was several years into his practice before he was able to do it without tears in his eyes.

And then he told me what makes it even worse. Apparently there people who take their old or ill dog to be mercifully helped to cross over. But they say "I can't handle being in there" or whatever.

If you cannot stand to be there when your beloved pet leaves this world, don't get a dog!

When it comes times, the dog is ill, old or both. They are scared. They should never be alone for that. They should never be in a strange room with strangers for their last moments.

That is NOT how you repay years of love and loyalty.
We had to put our beloved Princess down during the Pandemic. The vet wouldn't let us in with her when they put her down. Broke my heart.

We had to put our beloved Princess down during the Pandemic. The vet wouldn't let us in with her when they put her down. Broke my heart.

My vet tried that for regular check ups. I told her no. I won. Her dedication to the pets wouldn't let us skip the check-ups.

A few years ago, someone started a thread (here or on Faacebook - I can't recall) saying they were finally able to get a dog. It would be their first dog ever.

They asked for advice and then asked what was the hardest part of having a dog. In a very short time there were dozens of replies. All saying the same thing. "The end".

I have a friend who is a veterinarian. Good guy with a calling. I saw him yesterday at a music festival and we had a chance to catch up.

He started talking about the hardest parts of his job. Hands down, the hardest part is putting pets to sleep. He knows these animals were loved and cherished. He said it was several years into his practice before he was able to do it without tears in his eyes.

And then he told me what makes it even worse. Apparently there people who take their old or ill dog to be mercifully helped to cross over. But they say "I can't handle being in there" or whatever.

If you cannot stand to be there when your beloved pet leaves this world, don't get a dog!

When it comes times, the dog is ill, old or both. They are scared. They should never be alone for that. They should never be in a strange room with strangers for their last moments.

I agree. Though for me personally I feel the honorable thing, the thing your friend deserves for their years of loyalty; is that you handle it yourself. You owe them that much. Having someone else do the hardest part for you... Your friend deserves better than that...

Agreed. The wife and I were both there at the end. Can’t imagine no being with her. Sad Day indeed.

And why we never got another.

I hope, for you, that your griefs abates enough for you to one day get another.

I have a friend that adopts older dogs. They know they will have them for a short time, they’ve put down at least a dozen.

It’s the only way I’d do it again.

We have a neighbor who has adopted 3 older dogs in the last 8 or 10 years. She had to take a break from it because its hurts.

I agree that we should not judge people who choose to be absent when the vet administers the final shot to a beloved dog.

My brother was driving home one night when he saw an abandoned puppy wandering the streets. He brought him home and gave him a furever home for many years.

When it came time to help him sleep away (because of a cancer that came back after being removed previously), my brother was too grief-stricken to be in the room.

Two members of the family, however, were there with our furry and devoted friend.

Last edited:
I agree that we should not judge people who choose to be absent when the vet administers the final shot to a beloved dog.

My brother was driving home one night when he saw an abandoned puppy wandering the streets. He brought him home and gave him a furever home for many years.

When it came time to help him sleep away (because of a cancer that came back after being removed previously), my brother was too grief-stricken to be in the room.

Two members of the family, however, were there with our furry and devoted friend.

The last sentence makes it. The dog was not alone with strangers at the end.

I understand that. But I also understand, when it comes time, you suck it up and send them on their way with the same love and loyalty they gave you for years.

What difference does it make? They're dogs, they don't understand and ultimately they're going to be dead anyway. It's the living who suffer the dead, not the other way around.

What difference does it make? They're dogs, they don't understand and ultimately they're going to be dead anyway. It's the living who suffer the dead, not the other way around.

They understand fear, the fear of the unfamiliar and the ill.

They understand the soothing voice of familiarity. The understand the comforting touch of their companion(s).

For all they give during their life, do they not deserve those simple things at the end?

It’s the compassion you show that makes you so darn lovable!😂

They understand fear, the fear of the unfamiliar and the ill.

They understand the soothing voice of familiarity. The understand the comforting touch of their companion(s).

For all they give during their life, do they not deserve those simple things at the end?

Well, a lot of people and animals might deserve things, but they don't what they deserve. Life is like that. I can imagine that some people can't go to their relative's executions, for example...

The fact that they do not understand is why our presence is so important. To be afraid in your last moments of life is a terrible way to go.

Do they? Did you ask them this? How many dead animals have a sense of justice?

I know they know the people who care for them. I know they love people who will abuse them. I know they can tell "bad" people because I have seen my dogs dislike someone for no apparent reason, and those people turn out to be bad for you.

I have had dogs all my life. I have worked at kennels and boarding facilities. I know that dogs very often like me on sight.

Well, a lot of people and animals might deserve things, but they don't what they deserve. Life is like that. I can imagine that some people can't go to their relative's executions, for example...

Yes, people and dogs often do not get what they deserve. But when they deserve something, and it is within our power to grant it, we very much should.

The grief for the person will still be there. So not going in with your dog does not save that. But it saves fear for the animal that gave nothing but love and loyalty.

dont be getting on people for not being able to watch their dog die,, we all come from different worlds with different souls,,

I will admit my first time was so hard I sat on the floor and cried like a child,, it didnt get easier after that,,

as for them being alone with strangers,, all my dogs have known the people at the vet almost as good as they know me and do a great job of comforting when the time comes,,

I think its chicken shit to throw your guilt on others because they cant handle watching the death of a friend,,

Forum List

Back