Random Stuff You Know

th

Poverty Point - Wikipedia

*****SMILE*****

:)

Poverty Point had around 5 thousand inhabitants at it peak, Cahokia (1050-1350) in Illinois is estimated to have held from 20 to 40 thousand inhabitants at it's peak.

Levi Strauss did not invent blue jeans, they were the brain child of Jacob Davis in response to demands from miners in Utah for trousers that could withstand the rigors of mining. Double sewn seams and copper rivets were his answer and it worked. The only complaint was that the brown canvas sailcloth fabric chaffed in delicate areas. That's where Strauss came in, he was a fabric wholesaler who partnered with Davis and eventually found the fabric he was looking for, Serge de Nimes made in France, what we call denim today.
The nom de guerre "Jeans" comes from Geno Italy where a similar fabric (Cotton Corduroy) had been made and sold throughout Europe at the time. Denim was an attempt by the fabric manufacturers in Nimes France to unsuccessfully copy the Italian fabric, however it fit the bill for Stauss.
Blue Jeans, previously only worn by working men and women were made popular by James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause and were soon banned in schools, theaters and restaurants. It wasn't until the 60s that they finally found their way into more widespread acceptance.

I was wondering if anyone has come across any interesting trivia lately. It can be anything from history to the definitions of words. Anything. Recently I was asking a neighbor from Mexico about the Mayans. I was curious why the Native Americans in the area didn't have more of a history of Mayan Culture. She told me that while the Mayans had advanced science and math, that it was limited to a very few priests, and that the most of the society was a crushed underclass. She told me a bit about native people in the Americas. She said in Latin America, they did not import African slaves because the Spanish enslaved the native peoples who survived. Cities weren't even built by rivers, because of massive operations of enslaved people. I was mistaken to think that more Native Americans survived in Latin America. It turns out that disease wiped out just as many natives as in North America. More than 80%.

If I was rich, I always thought about driving from Texas to Argentina. That would be an adventure.

I also watched some youtube on Africa. I had no idea how different the continent developed. Without mountains, the weather patterns were completely unstable, which meant you needed a flexible society that take advantage of resources in multiple areas. This led to disaster when Europeans tried to create agriculturely fixed territories. I never thought about random weather systems. That would be a huge challenge.

Finally, some vulgar useless trivia. The male version of a camel toe is referred to as a moose knuckle. I heard that on Bob and Tom Radio. Anybody out there come across anything interesting, no matter how trivial?
Admiral David Farragut, Civil War, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" was adopted by Captain (later Commodore Porter) at the age of 9 where his naval career began. He was born James Glasgow Farragut, his father was Jorge Antonio Farragut-Mesquida (Spanish), his mother Elizabeth Shine Farragut was Scotch-Irish. He was born and raised in South Carolina.
By age 12 he was a Prize Master in charge of captured ships. He was made a Captain during the Mexican-American War then was promoted to the newly created rank of Vice Admiral when as a Flag Officer he took the city and port of New Orleans. He was promoted to full Admiral in 1866 after the war.

I watched a video on the history of our Navy, and it is amazing the changes caused by the Civil War. My dad took me to a memorial of the battle between the Ironclads. Iron warships caused a ripple effect thought the world. I find it fitting that the Brits created the first modern Aircraft Carrier. You've got to respect the Royal Navy. I was curious how they solved the U-boat problem in WWII. At first the U-boats were causing havoc, but by the end of the war, the subs were almost helpless to the British depth charges. How could they be hunted and destroyed so effectively?

I was wondering if anyone has come across any interesting trivia lately. It can be anything from history to the definitions of words. Anything. Recently I was asking a neighbor from Mexico about the Mayans. I was curious why the Native Americans in the area didn't have more of a history of Mayan Culture. She told me that while the Mayans had advanced science and math, that it was limited to a very few priests, and that the most of the society was a crushed underclass. She told me a bit about native people in the Americas. She said in Latin America, they did not import African slaves because the Spanish enslaved the native peoples who survived. Cities weren't even built by rivers, because of massive operations of enslaved people. I was mistaken to think that more Native Americans survived in Latin America. It turns out that disease wiped out just as many natives as in North America. More than 80%.

If I was rich, I always thought about driving from Texas to Argentina. That would be an adventure.

I also watched some youtube on Africa. I had no idea how different the continent developed. Without mountains, the weather patterns were completely unstable, which meant you needed a flexible society that take advantage of resources in multiple areas. This led to disaster when Europeans tried to create agriculturely fixed territories. I never thought about random weather systems. That would be a huge challenge.

Finally, some vulgar useless trivia. The male version of a camel toe is referred to as a moose knuckle. I heard that on Bob and Tom Radio. Anybody out there come across anything interesting, no matter how trivial?
Admiral David Farragut, Civil War, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" was adopted by Captain (later Commodore Porter) at the age of 9 where his naval career began. He was born James Glasgow Farragut, his father was Jorge Antonio Farragut-Mesquida (Spanish), his mother Elizabeth Shine Farragut was Scotch-Irish. He was born and raised in South Carolina.
By age 12 he was a Prize Master in charge of captured ships. He was made a Captain during the Mexican-American War then was promoted to the newly created rank of Vice Admiral when as a Flag Officer he took the city and port of New Orleans. He was promoted to full Admiral in 1866 after the war.

I watched a video on the history of our Navy, and it is amazing the changes caused by the Civil War. My dad took me to a memorial of the battle between the Ironclads. Iron warships caused a ripple effect thought the world. I find it fitting that the Brits created the first modern Aircraft Carrier. You've got to respect the Royal Navy. I was curious how they solved the U-boat problem in WWII. At first the U-boats were causing havoc, but by the end of the war, the subs were almost helpless to the British depth charges. How could they be hunted and destroyed so effectively?
There were numerous factors that eventually brought about the demise of the vaunted U-Boats, first was armed convoys, then there was sonar which kept getting better throughout the war worked on and perfected by both Great Britain and the US. Another was the capture of Enigma and it's subsequent decoding, our entry into the war eventually helped greatly. Finally allied sub chasing became quite advanced and anti sub aircraft played a key role, the wolf packs were broken up and it literally became suicide for a U-Boat to go hunting prey.
It was a combined effort not just the Brits alone.

There were numerous factors that eventually brought about the demise of the vaunted U-Boats, first was armed convoys, then there was sonar which kept getting better throughout the war worked on and perfected by both Great Britain and the US. Another was the capture of Enigma and it's subsequent decoding, our entry into the war eventually helped greatly. Finally allied sub chasing became quite advanced and anti sub aircraft played a key role, the wolf packs were broken up and it literally became suicide for a U-Boat to go hunting prey.
It was a combined effort not just the Brits alone.

Sonar, Enigma, and anti-sub aircraft would do the trick. It makes me appreciate the movie Das Boot even more.

Three Musketeers Bars originally came three in a pack, each a different flavor: chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. Thus the name, Three Musketeers...

I came across this little video containing some random trivia. Here's one. Did you know that most female cats are right handed and most male cats are left handed?

Up until the 1830s tea was the preferred caffeine drink in the US, the change over to coffee began with the War of 1812 as tea was very English in both usage and trade and Americans needed a replacement for economic and political reasons.

I learned about Mayans from a Mayan. They still live in little huts right outside tourist excursions to their ruins, basically ruined Cities.

The cities were abandoned to survive the Spanish. The cosmology was not all lost, we've even still got their calendar ~ however, in regard to the specifics of architecture, more in-depth astronomy, etc...its that too many generations have passed since the Cities were ruined.

Up until the 1830s tea was the preferred caffeine drink in the US, the change over to coffee began with the War of 1812 as tea was very English in both usage and trade and Americans needed a replacement for economic and political reasons.
And the French drank coffee because that is the crop their colonies grew.

Speaking of tea in 1908 Thomas Sullivan a NYC tea merchant started sending out tea samples in small silk bags to his customers, customers who mistakenly put the bags containing the tea in the hot water to steep. The tea bag was accidentally born.

On average we Americans toss out around four and a half pounds of trash daily........... That's about 230 million tons of trash annually.

Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming have less people than they do cattle.

I'd say they have the demographics about right. In Indiana, the squirrels are running wild. Those mean little rodents are approaching rabbit in Australia numbers. JK, they are not that prolific, but it just seems we have an extra healthy batch.

I learned about Mayans from a Mayan. They still live in little huts right outside tourist excursions to their ruins, basically ruined Cities.

The cities were abandoned to survive the Spanish. The cosmology was not all lost, we've even still got their calendar ~ however, in regard to the specifics of architecture, more in-depth astronomy, etc...its that too many generations have passed since the Cities were ruined.

I'd never heard they fled from the Spanish. I thought they were long gone by then. Where the Spanish there that early?

I'd never heard they fled from the Spanish. I thought they were long gone by then. Where the Spanish there that early?
Basically the Spanish got started "colonizing" the Yucatan Peninsula in 1517, took them almost two centuries to finally subdue the Mayans. In Peru it only took 40 years to conquer the Aztecs, 1532 - 1572.

Forum List

Back