Random Stuff You Know

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
I was wondering if anyone has come across any interesting trivia lately. It can be anything from history to the definitions of words. Anything. Recently I was asking a neighbor from Mexico about the Mayans. I was curious why the Native Americans in the area didn't have more of a history of Mayan Culture. She told me that while the Mayans had advanced science and math, that it was limited to a very few priests, and that the most of the society was a crushed underclass. She told me a bit about native people in the Americas. She said in Latin America, they did not import African slaves because the Spanish enslaved the native peoples who survived. Cities weren't even built by rivers, because of massive operations of enslaved people. I was mistaken to think that more Native Americans survived in Latin America. It turns out that disease wiped out just as many natives as in North America. More than 80%.

If I was rich, I always thought about driving from Texas to Argentina. That would be an adventure.

I also watched some youtube on Africa. I had no idea how different the continent developed. Without mountains, the weather patterns were completely unstable, which meant you needed a flexible society that take advantage of resources in multiple areas. This led to disaster when Europeans tried to create agriculturely fixed territories. I never thought about random weather systems. That would be a huge challenge.

Finally, some vulgar useless trivia. The male version of a camel toe is referred to as a moose knuckle. I heard that on Bob and Tom Radio. Anybody out there come across anything interesting, no matter how trivial?

When I think camel toe, I think figure skating. Now I know another definition. Thanks! LOL

I recently learned that opossums don't get rabies because their body temperature is too low for the virus to survive. Another fun opossum fact is that they eat ticks.

th

Metal spheres recovered from deposits estimated at 2.8 billion year old.

2.8 Billion Year Old Metallic Sphere Found in Transvaal

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Do you believe in previous advanced civilization theories? Once they found out the Pyramids were built with a kind of concrete, I became much more skeptical of impossible technology theories. I went to an old grain mill once, and I was shocked at all the interlocking metal gears in a grain mill. The pre-electric structures were incredible. Old timers will always tell you that things are built like garbage now days.

When I think camel toe, I think figure skating. Now I know another definition. Thanks! LOL

I recently learned that opossums don't get rabies because their body temperature is too low for the virus to survive. Another fun opossum fact is that they eat ticks.

I watched Sarah Hughes win the gold, and I was amazed. It was one of the most perfect, spell-binding performances I ever saw. She is kind of forgotten and underrated. You can't have too much possum trivia.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Do you believe in previous advanced civilization theories? Once they found out the Pyramids were built with a kind of concrete, I became much more skeptical of impossible technology theories. I went to an old grain mill once, and I was shocked at all the interlocking metal gears in a grain mill. The pre-electric structures were incredible. Old timers will always tell you that things are built like garbage now days.

th

I don't know what to think about the spheres. I say spheres because they've found more than one. Do amoeboids have civilizations?

I do agree with the old timers about things being made like garbage today though.

*****SMILE*****

I watched Sarah Hughes win the gold, and I was amazed. It was one of the most perfect, spell-binding performances I ever saw. She is kind of forgotten and underrated. You can't have too much possum trivia.
I watched Hughes win the gold too. What a performance. She was the underdog and nobody expected her to even place.

Here's another possum fun fact! They are immune to snake venom.

I feed two possums. Mama and her now grown up baby. SO CUTE! But Mama broke her leg and now walks all lopsided but at least she knows where to get food without having to travel far. They are afraid of me...but still come get their dinner :).

I didn't know Floki, the viking, was real OR was the settler/discoverer of Iceland until I watched the show on Netflix.

And...I knew the actors name was familiar. Skarsgard. So...Floki the vikings bro is Pennywise the clown, lol. For reals.

I feed two possums. Mama and her now grown up baby. SO CUTE! But Mama broke her leg and now walks all lopsided but at least she knows where to get food without having to travel far. They are afraid of me...but still come get their dinner :).

I didn't know Floki, the viking, was real OR was the settler/discoverer of Iceland until I watched the show on Netflix.

And...I knew the actors name was familiar. Skarsgard. So...Floki the vikings bro is Pennywise the clown, lol. For reals.

You know that saying only a mother could love. I'm not sure cute is a term I'd use to desrcibe possums.

You know that saying only a mother could love. I'm not sure cute is a term I'd use to desrcibe possums.
Mama Possum is adorable. Her child..not so much. But mama's face is round and poofy. SO CUTE.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

I don't know what to think about the spheres. I say spheres because they've found more than one. Do amoeboids have civilizations?

I do agree with the old timers about things being made like garbage today though.

*****SMILE*****

My apologies for not being able to come up with a good reply. I have no speakers or headphones. I'm visual only. I am currently in a history phase, so I'm all eyes for the info.

I was wondering if anyone has come across any interesting trivia lately. It can be anything from history to the definitions of words. Anything. Recently I was asking a neighbor from Mexico about the Mayans. I was curious why the Native Americans in the area didn't have more of a history of Mayan Culture. She told me that while the Mayans had advanced science and math, that it was limited to a very few priests, and that the most of the society was a crushed underclass. She told me a bit about native people in the Americas. She said in Latin America, they did not import African slaves because the Spanish enslaved the native peoples who survived. Cities weren't even built by rivers, because of massive operations of enslaved people. I was mistaken to think that more Native Americans survived in Latin America. It turns out that disease wiped out just as many natives as in North America. More than 80%.

If I was rich, I always thought about driving from Texas to Argentina. That would be an adventure.

I also watched some youtube on Africa. I had no idea how different the continent developed. Without mountains, the weather patterns were completely unstable, which meant you needed a flexible society that take advantage of resources in multiple areas. This led to disaster when Europeans tried to create agriculturely fixed territories. I never thought about random weather systems. That would be a huge challenge.

Finally, some vulgar useless trivia. The male version of a camel toe is referred to as a moose knuckle. I heard that on Bob and Tom Radio. Anybody out there come across anything interesting, no matter how trivial?
Admiral David Farragut, Civil War, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" was adopted by Captain (later Commodore Porter) at the age of 9 where his naval career began. He was born James Glasgow Farragut, his father was Jorge Antonio Farragut-Mesquida (Spanish), his mother Elizabeth Shine Farragut was Scotch-Irish. He was born and raised in South Carolina.
By age 12 he was a Prize Master in charge of captured ships. He was made a Captain during the Mexican-American War then was promoted to the newly created rank of Vice Admiral when as a Flag Officer he took the city and port of New Orleans. He was promoted to full Admiral in 1866 after the war.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has come across any interesting trivia lately. It can be anything from history to the definitions of words. Anything. Recently I was asking a neighbor from Mexico about the Mayans. I was curious why the Native Americans in the area didn't have more of a history of Mayan Culture. She told me that while the Mayans had advanced science and math, that it was limited to a very few priests, and that the most of the society was a crushed underclass.
That's one reason. Another is good ol' fashioned book burning. The Catholic priests deemed them to be heretical (even though they certainly couldn't read Mayan hieroglyphs) and nearly all of their books were destroyed in the 16th century. Very few Mayan codices still exist.

Before Cotton was King in the relatively new United States flax was king. As colonies we were forbidden to grow cotton by the Crown so as not to compete with the East India Company's monopoly so it took a while for the new states to start producing cotton in enough quantity to replace the expensive finished cotton fabrics from England.
Until then flax linen was the staple, everything from undergarments to tents to sailcloth was made from it, only the wealthy could afford cotton back then.

Forum List

Back