Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

So we have an MSNBC article calling Paul out on the matter and we have a FOX article defending him.

Anyone found any evidence of the existence of the NBO yet?

Last edited:
So we have an MSNBC article calling Paul out on the matter and we have a FOX article defending him.

The MSNBC article provides the answer to Jim's question of why he created another certification board. See my post on the previous page.

Here is a good editorial from another ophthalmologist. He mentions that the NBO has an online test offered. This guy calls the ABO "archaic". His editorial is actually a response sent to the ABO to which they never responded. A good read, for those of you who actually read entire articles.:razz:
Ophthalmology Management

A few quotes (MOC refers to the Maintenance of Certification required every 10 years):

Is the real motivation of the ABO's MOC a response to a threat on its self-existence? Is the ABO concerned that the pedestal that it stands on is being chipped away by other organizations, such as the ACES/ABES or by the National Board of Ophthalmology (NBO)?
In fact, what the ABO has done is help to divide ophthalmology into two distinct groups: those who have and those who have not been grandfathered in. What it did not expect is that now there are other organizations out there that are willing and able to have you take a test to be board-certified, such as the online test that is offered by the NBO. The NBO's test is cheaper and far more appealing to the younger ophthalmologists with a time-limited certification. Why would anyone in his or her right mind want to spend an incredible amount of time, money, and energy on recertification with outdated information when this same group of self-motivated physicians is now already constantly striving to better themselves with a proven educational tool such as CME. Why should they do it? Because they are required to by the ABO, an entity which is quickly becoming irrelevant and trying very hard to justify its own continued existence.
The ABO has become archaic and outdated. It has already realized that it has failed in its attempt to develop a test for MOC and has now come to the AAO for the knowledge base that it will use.

Sounds like, based on this guy, that the ABO feels threatened by the NBO.

Last edited:

The MSNBC article provides the answer to Jim's question of why he created another certification board. See my post on the previous page.

:eusa_eh:

You need to actually read the articles. The MSNBC one and the Fox News one. Then you will understand that they are the SAME article from the AP. How can one be defending him and one be calling him out if they are the same article?:eusa_eh:

So Rand Paul feels that businesses should be able to disciminate, but the certification board should not have similar criteria? Something is amiss...:doubt:

So Rand Paul feels that businesses should be able to disciminate, but the certification board should not have similar criteria? Something is amiss...:doubt:

He said he would not give his money to a private group which discriminates, just as he would not go to other businesses such as a restaurant that discriminates. You are talking about whether they have the right to discriminate, that is different. Obviously the ABO has that right to some degree right now, since they are getting away with it.

Yes, there are no businesses or organizations without websites unless they're illegitimate and fly-by-night. The Internet IS the entire world. ::yawn::

Not exactly what I am saying but most prominent organizations have long ago adopted the internet as a way to get information such as this out.

If I, as a patient, wanted to get information about the certification requirements of two different doctors that I was considering becoming their patients, one certified by the ABO and one by the NBO, where would I go to find out what the NBO requirements were?

Immie
So Dr. Paul formed this board in the 1990's.
>10 years later and Yahoo, Google, or Bing have never heard of the board?
:eusa_shhh:

This should be in the Conspiracy Theory section :eusa_eh:

All it means is that they have not developed a website. That does not make them a bad organization. However, in this day and age, it says to me that they are not up to the times in technology and for something that I would assume is as big as a board of certification for a certain type of doctor, you would think they would be up to date.

The fact that they are not, does not mean they are not reliable. It is (only in my book) a strike against them.

Immie

Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

He's not a BOARD Certified doctor.

Board Certification has no bearing on whether or not you are a doctor, or whether or not you can practice medicine.

Board Certification is just a method by which doctors are monitored for competency. Patient's can still chose to go to a physician who is not board certified...insurance may not pay.

Yea, that's the only mention i could find of the NBO, also :lol:

The titles :D

It did come up on the first page of a Google search though.:)

Yes, news outlets tend to re-title articles to add their own "spin". In this case, MSNBC seemed to be misleading in their title, while Fox News more accurately titled it. Keep in mind, I said "in this case".

I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.
Did Clarkson start the ABO and certify himself? If so, then I repeat, he is as big an asshole as Paul.

Why does it matter if he started it himself? He's still the head of the same organization he's certified by. Clearly there's a conflict of interests.

Nothing is amiss, as everything Rand has said has been consistent. He said all along that he would not patronize any establishment that discriminates, so rather than run to the government he creates a competing certification board that will treat all doctors the same.

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.
Did Clarkson start the ABO and certify himself? If so, then I repeat, he is as big an asshole as Paul.

Why does it matter if he started it himself? He's still the head of the same organization he's certified by. Clearly there's a conflict of interests.
It would depend on when he was certified, IMO. You can keep pretending that starting and running your own certification group to certify yourself is kosher, though.

It would depend on when he was certified, IMO. You can keep pretending that starting and running your own certification group to certify yourself is kosher, though.

Well you can keep pretending that he only started this organization to make it easier for him to get certified, when he was already certified by the ABO and simply let it lapse because he disagreed with their practices. You can also keep pretending that the head of the ABO being certified by the ABO is any different than Rand being certified by the NBO, but all that proves is that you don't like Rand and want a reason to bash him.

IMO it would depend more on who authorized the certification. Did someone else review his qualifications and his board exam or did anyone review those things at all? And if someone else did, were they given free reign to deny him the certification if he did not pass the exam or were they afraid for their job?

Immie

Forum List

Back