Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

Hahaha, I quit looking after about 8 pages on Yahoo's search engine.

One would think they had a page if they were a legitimate organization, wouldn't one? Wonder if they will in two or three days?

I hate to say it, but after entering this thread and looking for the NBO and not finding anything on it, I'm a little more skeptical than I was when I started defending Paul's certification.

He's still licensed... I think... and that is what matters... the boards are little more than unions... but, still to claim certification means nothing, if certification is nothing more than dues paid.

Immie

Yes, there are no businesses or organizations without websites unless they're illegitimate and fly-by-night. The Internet IS the entire world. ::yawn::

Not exactly what I am saying but most prominent organizations have long ago adopted the internet as a way to get information such as this out.

If I, as a patient, wanted to get information about the certification requirements of two different doctors that I was considering becoming their patients, one certified by the ABO and one by the NBO, where would I go to find out what the NBO requirements were?

Immie

You would have to do what people did before the Internet, ie. call them on the phone or send them a letter.

From reading the links, it's clear why Paul is against 10 year recertification. He doesn't want to continue to learn.

Doctors really are scientists and scientific advancement is "continuous".

Conservative is the "opposite" of "change". Recertification is continuous improvement, which, of course, is "change".

Normal people want the best possible medical care backed by the most recent and up to date scientific understanding.

The "BEST" doctor 10 years ago might only be average today without bothering to study new techniques and available advancements.

The NBO requires recertification. What Rand was against was the fact that the ABO didn't require recertification for older doctors but did for younger doctors.

It's possible older doctors may not continue to practice for another 10 years. Plus, experience and maturity comes with age. Younger doctors become older and people who have "continuous improvement" ingrained usually continue to improve on their own.

I think following up on younger doctors is an excellent idea.

So, you support discrimination then? Held to a different standard based on age? Hmmm...

It could be argued that age shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it. But it DOES raise a good question. What should be done with those "older" doctors who continue to practice after a certain age where judgment and memory may not be as sharp as it use to be? The old eyes ain't what they used to be...the hands aren't quite as steady either.

The NBO requires recertification. What Rand was against was the fact that the ABO didn't require recertification for older doctors but did for younger doctors.

It's possible older doctors may not continue to practice for another 10 years. Plus, experience and maturity comes with age. Younger doctors become older and people who have "continuous improvement" ingrained usually continue to improve on their own.

I think following up on younger doctors is an excellent idea.

So, you support discrimination then? Held to a different standard based on age? Hmmm...

It could be argued that age shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it. But it DOES raise a good question. What should be done with those "older" doctors who continue to practice after a certain age where judgment and memory may not be as sharp as it use to be? The old eyes ain't what they used to be...the hands aren't quite as steady either.

Personally, I feel the same way about how Arizona treats drivers. I think people should periodically have to retest the retain their licenses, ESPECIALLY as they get older and their sight, hearing, and reflexes are going, so I can certainly understand why Mr. Paul feels that ALL doctors should stand for recertification on a regular basis.

So he's kind of like those Tim McVeigh types who drive around without license plates to protest big government...

...jeezus christ what happened to this country...

lol

not that I give a shit about Rand, but how stupid are you? Being licensed by a private board =/= being licenses by the legal authority, you're comparison is invalid.

Now IF Rand were practicing medicine without being certified by his state's medical board you would have a valid complaint, but that is NOT the case.

Yes, there are no businesses or organizations without websites unless they're illegitimate and fly-by-night. The Internet IS the entire world. ::yawn::

Not exactly what I am saying but most prominent organizations have long ago adopted the internet as a way to get information such as this out.

If I, as a patient, wanted to get information about the certification requirements of two different doctors that I was considering becoming their patients, one certified by the ABO and one by the NBO, where would I go to find out what the NBO requirements were?

Immie

You would have to do what people did before the Internet, ie. call them on the phone or send them a letter.

A letter? You mean snail mail? The hell with that, I'll take the faster route and go with the guy I can get the info on from the internet. :D

Immie

Immie

A letter? You mean snail mail? The hell with that, I'll take the faster route and go with the guy I can get the info on from the internet. :D

Immie

999 out of 100 patients won't care either way about these "licensing boards" they are concerned with what really matters. Is he certified by the government, and he is.

Many physicians are not board certified one does NOT have to be board certified to practice

Medical specialty certification in the United States is a voluntary process

What Board Certification Means

and from the article:

Neither group has anything to do with medical licensure, which is handled by state boards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/14/rand-paul-not-board-certi_n_611018.html

Last edited:
From reading the links, it's clear why Paul is against 10 year recertification. He doesn't want to continue to learn.

Doctors really are scientists and scientific advancement is "continuous".

Conservative is the "opposite" of "change". Recertification is continuous improvement, which, of course, is "change".

Normal people want the best possible medical care backed by the most recent and up to date scientific understanding.

The "BEST" doctor 10 years ago might only be average today without bothering to study new techniques and available advancements.

.....And, what legitimate-board would turn-down a young, hip doctor like Rand Paul??!!!

offhandrand.jpg

Because certification looks good to your customers. Are you likely to go to a doctor that is only licensed by the state to practice medicine, or are you more likely to go to a doctor that is both licensed and certified by a board of their peers?
I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.
Did Clarkson start the ABO and certify himself? If so, then I repeat, he is as big an asshole as Paul.

Hahaha, I quit looking after about 8 pages on Yahoo's search engine.

One would think they had a page if they were a legitimate organization, wouldn't one? Wonder if they will in two or three days?

I hate to say it, but after entering this thread and looking for the NBO and not finding anything on it, I'm a little more skeptical than I was when I started defending Paul's certification.

He's still licensed... I think... and that is what matters... the boards are little more than unions... but, still to claim certification means nothing, if certification is nothing more than dues paid.

Immie

Immie
So Dr. Paul formed this board in the 1990's.
>10 years later and Yahoo, Google, or Bing have never heard of the board?
:eusa_shhh:

This should be in the Conspiracy Theory section :eusa_eh:

My brother is an M.D. and does not belong to the AMA and neither does my physician in Oregon. In fact the AMA has very few members considering the amount of practicing Dr.s.

Rand Paul is also an M.D.

Paul, a graduate of Duke University's medical school, said he was board certified under the American Board of Ophthalmology for a decade. Paul has been licensed to practice in Kentucky since 1993.

In the late 1990s, Paul was a driving force behind forming the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the ABO's exemption policy.

"I don't think that some people should recertify and others shouldn't," he said. "And I don't choose to give my money to a private group that discriminates."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...lacking-boards-certification/?test=latestnews

Last edited:
He created his own Board to Certify himself. No, he doesn't need to be certified because he is a licensed Doctor. So, you need to ask yourself. What made him create his own Certification Board? Why did the man feel it necessary to go that far?

This is not an issue of his professionalism. It is rather an issue of character and judgement.

He created his own Board to Certify himself. No, he doesn't need to be certified because he is a licensed Doctor. So, you need to ask yourself. What made him create his own Certification Board? Why did the man feel it necessary to go that far?

This is not an issue of his professionalism. It is rather an issue of character and judgement.

Your questions were already answered in the article YOU provided:

Paul said he helped formed the rival group because the established organization exempted older ophthalmologists from recertification. He likened it to members of Congress passing laws that don't apply to themselves.

Did you not even read your own article?

On edit, he was further down in your article quoted:

"I don't think that some people should recertify and others shouldn't," he said. "And I don't choose to give my money to a private group that discriminates."

Last edited:

It is explained in the link I provided....FOXNews.com - Rand Paul's Doctor Credentials Questioned for Lacking Top Board's Certification

New Topics

Forum List

Back