Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

Immanuel,

I have also been searching for the NBO.
Even typed out the long words! :D
I'm not finding anything but related stories.
Do they not have a website?

Hahaha, I quit looking after about 8 pages on Yahoo's search engine.

One would think they had a page if they were a legitimate organization, wouldn't one? Wonder if they will in two or three days?

I hate to say it, but after entering this thread and looking for the NBO and not finding anything on it, I'm a little more skeptical than I was when I started defending Paul's certification.

He's still licensed... I think... and that is what matters... the boards are little more than unions... but, still to claim certification means nothing, if certification is nothing more than dues paid.

Immie
I think, given the lack of replies from his supporters, some members here must be up to page 20-25 by now and still searching, also.
:eusa_whistle:
Hell, I went as far as page 11 trying to give the guy a chance....

From reading the links, it's clear why Paul is against 10 year recertification. He doesn't want to continue to learn.

Doctors really are scientists and scientific advancement is "continuous".

Conservative is the "opposite" of "change". Recertification is continuous improvement, which, of course, is "change".

Normal people want the best possible medical care backed by the most recent and up to date scientific understanding.

The "BEST" doctor 10 years ago might only be average today without bothering to study new techniques and available advancements.

10 year maintainance exams are basically the industry standard. I wonder if that was was really the rub here? I suspect there is more to this than we know at this point.

From reading the links, it's clear why Paul is against 10 year recertification. He doesn't want to continue to learn.

Conservative is the "opposite" of "change". Recertification is continuous improvement, which, of course, is "change".

Normal people want the best possible medical care backed by the most recent and up to date scientific understanding.

The "BEST" doctor 10 years ago might only be average today without bothering to study new techniques and available advancements.

The NBO requires recertification. What Rand was against was the fact that the ABO didn't require recertification for older doctors but did for younger doctors.

Immanuel,

One would think they had a page if they were a legitimate organization, wouldn't one? Wonder if they will in two or three days?

I hate to say it, but after entering this thread and looking for the NBO and not finding anything on it, I'm a little more skeptical than I was when I started defending Paul's certification.

He's still licensed... I think... and that is what matters... the boards are little more than unions... but, still to claim certification means nothing, if certification is nothing more than dues paid.

Immie

Yes, there are no businesses or organizations without websites unless they're illegitimate and fly-by-night. The Internet IS the entire world. ::yawn::

Immanuel,

Immie

Yes, there are no businesses or organizations without websites unless they're illegitimate and fly-by-night. The Internet IS the entire world. ::yawn::
Coming from someone that constantly requires links and quotes, you realize that doesn't carry any weight, right?!

:cuckoo:

10 year maintainance exams are basically the industry standard. I wonder if that was was really the rub here? I suspect there is more to this than we know at this point.

The article told us pretty clearly, BOTH from Paul AND from the ABO, that his problem with them wasn't that they required 10-year recerts from some people, but that they DIDN'T require them from everyone.

Am I the only one who read the whole article, or am I just the only one with a memory longer than a gnat's lifespan?

Paul said he helped formed the rival group because the established organization exempted older ophthalmologists from recertification. He likened it to members of Congress passing laws that don't apply to themselves.

Slembarski said that certification through the ABO reflects "an extra commitment by physicians to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in this specialty."

Before 1992, ABO certification had no expiration, she said. After that, it started issuing certifications that lasted 10 years, but ophthalmologists certified before 1992 were grandfathered in, meaning they didn't have to be recertified.

This is a tempest in a fucking teapot. If you have something to say about him as a candidate, say it. If you don't want to go to him because he didn't join the right union, then don't go to him. Doesn't sound like he'll miss your business any.

The NBO requires recertification. What Rand was against was the fact that the ABO didn't require recertification for older doctors but did for younger doctors.

It's possible older doctors may not continue to practice for another 10 years. Plus, experience and maturity comes with age. Younger doctors become older and people who have "continuous improvement" ingrained usually continue to improve on their own.

I think following up on younger doctors is an excellent idea.

You are right. I missread the link. However, I have a hard time believing that this was the rub:

Before 1992, ABO certification had no expiration, she said. After that, it started issuing certifications that lasted 10 years, but ophthalmologists certified before 1992 were grandfathered in, meaning they didn't have to be recertified.

Even if that was the rub, how hokie is this?

Paul has been certified through the National Board of Ophthalmology since 2005. He is listed as the group's president; his wife, Kelley, is listed as vice president; and his father-in-law is listed as secretary. Paul and his relatives receive no salaries from the organization, his campaign said.

Beth Ann Slembarski, administrator for the American Board of Ophthalmology, said less than 5 percent of the nation's practicing ophthalmologists aren't certified through her organization.

Slembarski said that certification through the ABO reflects "an extra commitment by physicians to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in this specialty."

If Paul created his own certification board out of a sense of injustice or to make the standards for medical practice more rigorous; why would he put himself and his family members in positions of power?

I suspect this whole feud has nothing to do with "grandfathering" in physicians who were certified before 1992.

It's possible older doctors may not continue to practice for another 10 years. Plus, experience and maturity comes with age. Younger doctors become older and people who have "continuous improvement" ingrained usually continue to improve on their own.

Who cares if they're not going to practice for another 10 years? Why should you automatically get certified just because of your age?

I took the American Board of Ophthalmology (the largest governing body in ophthalmology) boards in 1995, passed them on my first attempt (as well as three times during residency), and was therefore board-certified under this organization for a decade.

In 1997, I, along with 200 other young ophthalmologists formed the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the American Board of Ophthalmology's decision to grandfather in the older ophthalmologists and not require them to recertify.

Right Now - Rand Paul: I passed my ophthalmology certification, but took a stand against the way the board operates

Rand Paul is a certified ophthalmologist with a rival organization, the National Board of Ophthalmology, because he disagrees with the ABO's discriminatory practices.

What does he have to hide? Is it that his certification was issued in Kenya?

America wants to know. Does he have proof he was not certified in Kenya?

What exactly is he hiding?

Who cares if they're not going to practice for another 10 years? Why should you automatically get certified just because of your age?

Every 10 years, not age.

Immanuel,

Immie

Not exactly what I am saying but most prominent organizations have long ago adopted the internet as a way to get information such as this out.

If I, as a patient, wanted to get information about the certification requirements of two different doctors that I was considering becoming their patients, one certified by the ABO and one by the NBO, where would I go to find out what the NBO requirements were?

Immie

Every 10 years, not age.

The older doctors were automatically certified, they didn't have to take any tests. That's the point.

Immie

Not exactly what I am saying but most prominent organizations have long ago adopted the internet as a way to get information such as this out.

If I, as a patient, wanted to get information about the certification requirements of two different doctors that I was considering becoming their patients, one certified by the ABO and one by the NBO, where would I go to find out what the NBO requirements were?

Immie
If nothing else, at the VERY least, you would think there would be a reputable site/link that mentions them or their reputation.
Something....anything....
:eusa_eh:

Maybe by Friday somebody can whip one up
:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back