Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

Did you not read the opening post?

I certainly did. Nowhere did it say that Rand certified himself. It said that Rand was certified by the National Board of Ophthalmology, of which Rand is the President.
***** In the late 1990s, Paul was a driving force behind forming the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the ABO's exemption policy.*****

I repeat my previous post.
He formed the board.
Made himself king...err...president.
Poof!!!! He's certified!!!!
:clap2:

So do you have proof that he didn't go through the same process that every other doctor certified by the NBO went through?

Did you not read the opening post?

I certainly did. Nowhere did it say that Rand certified himself. It said that Rand was certified by the National Board of Ophthalmology, of which Rand is the President.
***** In the late 1990s, Paul was a driving force behind forming the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the ABO's exemption policy.*****

I repeat my previous post.
He formed the board.
Made himself king...err...president.
Poof!!!! He's certified!!!!

It's good to be the King. :D

My question is, why does he have such a problem with "discrimination" in the established Board, but has none with nepotism in his own?

Right Now - Rand Paul: I passed my ophthalmology certification, but took a stand against the way the board operates

Rand Paul is a certified ophthalmologist with a rival organization, the National Board of Ophthalmology, because he disagrees with the ABO's discriminatory practices.
Of which he is the head

From the OP link said:
He is listed as the group's president; his wife, Kelley, is listed as vice president; and his father-in-law is listed as secretary.
:cuckoo:

BUT.....

What do you call someone that graduates at the bottom of his/her medical class?

Doctor :tongue:

Though not relevant to political office, it DOES speak to character.
:eusa_whistle:

You're right. It DOES speak to character. I think the willingness to go out and start your own board of ophthalmologists - which has GOT to be a lot of work - to take a stand against practices you disagree with speaks very highly of his character.
I an see it now:

"Psst.....Hey, Doc. Don't like the way that mean old board made ya warsh yer hands all the time? Tell ya what....I'm gonna get together a buncha us and we'll set our own rules. How's that sound? Can I count ya in?"

"Sure, Rand. Are you gonna be the president of the board?"

"Well, Doc, it WAS my idea"

:cuckoo:

Certain dimwits around here want to know why I call this a lie. Let me explain for the thinking-impaired.

A lie is any intentional misdirection or deception. Now then, the OP chose to title his thread "Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor". This is untrue, as demonstrated by his own link, which states that he IS certified, but by a different ophthalmological board than is usually used. I can either assume that the OP didn't read his own link, and thus didn't know this, or I can assume that he DID read the link, and chose to deliberately misrepresent the situation.

Furthermore, it is pretty obviously the intention of Paul's political opponents, of which the OP is one, to use this to imply that there is something wrong with Paul as an ophthalmologist. The simple statement ". . . is not a certified Doctor" implies that he's not really a doctor, or not able to practice. This assertion on my part is borne out by the fact that, indeed, some posters took it to mean EXACTLY that. In fact, of course, it is STATE LICENSING that conveys the right to practice medicine, not certification with ANY medical board.

In addition, several posters are NOW attempting to construe this (and I believe Paul's political rival is doing so as well) as him HAVING to form another certification board because he could not be certified by the original. This is untrue, as seen in the article. No one, not even the medical board, has ever even HINTED that Rand Paul is uncertifiable. As the article states, both sides of the discussion are quite clear that he voluntarily left that board over a dispute that had NOTHING to do with his own practice or medical skills at all, but was a disagreement about policy.

Which means all of the aforementioned crap is lies, and the anuses spewing it are liars.

Any questions?

Certain dimwits around here want to know why I call this a lie. Let me explain for the thinking-impaired.

A lie is any intentional misdirection or deception. Now then, the OP chose to title his thread "Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor". This is untrue, as demonstrated by his own link, which states that he IS certified, but by a different ophthalmological board than is usually used. I can either assume that the OP didn't read his own link, and thus didn't know this, or I can assume that he DID read the link, and chose to deliberately misrepresent the situation.

Furthermore, it is pretty obviously the intention of Paul's political opponents, of which the OP is one, to use this to imply that there is something wrong with Paul as an ophthalmologist. The simple statement ". . . is not a certified Doctor" implies that he's not really a doctor, or not able to practice. This assertion on my part is borne out by the fact that, indeed, some posters took it to mean EXACTLY that. In fact, of course, it is STATE LICENSING that conveys the right to practice medicine, not certification with ANY medical board.

In addition, several posters are NOW attempting to construe this (and I believe Paul's political rival is doing so as well) as him HAVING to form another certification board because he could not be certified by the original. This is untrue, as seen in the article. No one, not even the medical board, has ever even HINTED that Rand Paul is uncertifiable. As the article states, both sides of the discussion are quite clear that he voluntarily left that board over a dispute that had NOTHING to do with his own practice or medical skills at all, but was a disagreement about policy.

Which means all of the aforementioned crap is lies, and the anuses spewing it are liars.

Any questions?

All of which is irrelevat. He is running for a Senate seat, not for a position on an Ophthamology Board.

So then you'd agree that Conway is making this a campaign issue just to smear Rand?

I doubt this came from Conway. I haven't seen anything that says it did. But you need to wonder about someone who starts his own organization for certification, of which, board members are members of his family. Makes you kind of say...HHHHMMMMMM:doubt:

Board members are members of his family? Do you have proof of this, or is a baseless lie, and thus libelous?

So then you'd agree that Conway is making this a campaign issue just to smear Rand?

I doubt this came from Conway. I haven't seen anything that says it did. But you need to wonder about someone who starts his own organization for certification, of which, board members are members of his family. Makes you kind of say...HHHHMMMMMM:doubt:

Board members are members of his family? Do you have proof of this, or is a baseless lie, and thus libelous?

His wife is the Vice-President and his father-in-law is the secretary.

Thanks for sharing a baldfaced, shameless lie with us. Until now, I wasn't meeting my daily quota of such.

Link to this being a lie or is it something you are pulling out of your ass? Just asking.

National group: Paul isn't a board-certified doc - Decision 2010- msnbc.com

The libertarian-leaning Republican helped create a rival certification group more than a decade ago. He said the group has since recertified several hundred ophthalmologists, despite not being recognized the American Board of Medical Specialties — the governing group for two dozen medical specialty boards.

{snip}

Paul, a graduate of Duke University's medical school, said he was board certified under the American Board of Ophthalmology for a decade. Paul has been licensed to practice in Kentucky since 1993.

In the late 1990s, Paul was a driving force behind forming the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the ABO's exemption policy.

So, he is not certified under one bodies' certification rules but he is certified under another (which he helped to create) but it is a certification nonetheless.

The fact is that he is licensed by the state and that is more important than whether or not he wanted to play the ABO's games or is it pay their dues? The important thing as far as I can tell is that he is licensed.

This looks like nothing more than sour grapes on the part of Dems if you ask me.

Immie

Thanks for sharing a baldfaced, shameless lie with us. Until now, I wasn't meeting my daily quota of such.

Link to this being a lie or is it something you are pulling out of your ass? Just asking.

The libertarian-leaning Republican helped create a rival certification group more than a decade ago. He said the group has since recertified several hundred ophthalmologists, despite not being recognized the American Board of Medical Specialties — the governing group for two dozen medical specialty boards.
{snip}

Paul, a graduate of Duke University's medical school, said he was board certified under the American Board of Ophthalmology for a decade. Paul has been licensed to practice in Kentucky since 1993.

In the late 1990s, Paul was a driving force behind forming the National Board of Ophthalmology to protest the ABO's exemption policy.
So, he is not certified under one bodies' certification rules but he is certified under another (which he helped to create) but it is a certification nonetheless.

The fact is that he is licensed by the state and that is more important than whether or not he wanted to play the ABO's games or is it pay their dues? The important thing as far as I can tell is that he is licensed.

This looks like nothing more than sour grapes on the part of Dems if you ask me.

Immie
Why certify himself if certification isn't needed?

Seriously, if I certified myself as an expert or as board certified my clients would laugh me out of business and rightly so.

{snip}

Immie

Seriously, if I certified myself as an expert or as board certified my clients would laugh me out of business and rightly so.

So should Rand as President of the NBO be certified by the ABO? What about the President of the ABO? Who are they certified by? Should they be certified by the NBO? And do you honestly think that Rand simply certified himself, or do you think he went through the same process every other doctor certified by the NBO went through?

Would you be as willing to be certified if you worked hard and studied for the certification, then passed the test, and then the board decided to certify everyone else who had not taken the test? Would you think it meant anything then? Would your clients?

To me, it speaks to character.

He left the established certification body because of a beef over what he saw as a discriminatory practice. Fine so far. But he then established his own and installed himself, his wife and father in law in the top positions? Discrimination is wrong but nepotism is a-OK. Gotcha.

{snip}

Immie

So should Rand as President of the NBO be certified by the ABO? What about the President of the ABO? Who are they certified by? Should they be certified by the NBO? And do you honestly think that Rand simply certified himself, or do you think he went through the same process every other doctor certified by the NBO went through?
Did the president of the ABO create the ABO? If so, then he's an idiot, too. But I doubt that he did.

Why be certified if it isn't necessary???

His wife is the Vice-President and his father-in-law is the secretary.

And the last time I checked, the head of the American Board of Ophthalmology is also certified by his own board. OHMIGOD! He certified himself! The scandal! . . . or not.

Did the president of the ABO create the ABO? If so, then he's an idiot, too. But I doubt that he did.

Because certification looks good to your customers. Are you likely to go to a doctor that is only licensed by the state to practice medicine, or are you more likely to go to a doctor that is both licensed and certified by a board of their peers?

Because certification looks good to your customers. Are you likely to go to a doctor that is only licensed by the state to practice medicine, or are you more likely to go to a doctor that is both licensed and certified by a board of their peers?
I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

{snip}

Immie

He didn't certify himself. The NBO did.

As to why he did that? Well, it would be similar to a teacher that didn't agree with the NEA going out and starting a rival teacher's union.

Something to note though: while skimming though Yahoo's search engine for "National Board of Ophthalmologists" I didn't find anything at all from the NBO. I found a lot of articles entitled something similar to "Paul not certified...". And most noteworthy was something from talking points memo (I didn't enter the link) that stated paraphrased... doctors had not heard of the NBO.

And there was on Ophthalmologist office that I entered to see if the doctors were certified by NBO and/or ABO. Yes on ABO, no on NBO.

I still contend that the important note is whether or not he is licenses to practice in the State of Kentucky. The certification boards are not much different than unions. Pay our dues and you can put our initials behind your names.

Immie

I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.

Self certification is just another example of the Republican idea of "smaller government".

How is it different than "voluntary compliance"? The same ill advised deregulation that led to the mining disaster, the economic meltdown and the gulf disaster.

Republicans are fucking nuts. This is the same mentality that calls education "just a piece of paper". Could you imagine putting these people in charge of nuclear power plants?

New Topics

Forum List

Back