Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

Paul is licensed to practice medicine through the state board of healing arts. As far as creating his own certification board for ophthalmology, I think it's a caveat emptor thing. The group certainly appears to be a little nepotistic but he has latitude to practice medicine and be an ophthalmologist even if the accreditation body is shady.

On a related note, can the Paul family conform to any social norms without making waves? I mean, seriously.

Why certify himself if certification isn't needed?

Seriously, if I certified myself as an expert or as board certified my clients would laugh me out of business and rightly so.

So should Rand as President of the NBO be certified by the ABO? What about the President of the ABO? Who are they certified by? Should they be certified by the NBO? And do you honestly think that Rand simply certified himself, or do you think he went through the same process every other doctor certified by the NBO went through?
Did the president of the ABO create the ABO? If so, then he's an idiot, too. But I doubt that he did.

Why be certified if it isn't necessary???

Certification makes the patients happy. Not much more than that.

Why be a CPA, because clients want to hire someone that they think knows everything.

Why be a CFP, because clients like initials after your name.

Certification draws clients and the lack thereof sends them packing.

Is he licensed by the state? From all indications, yes he is.

Are the certification requirements the same for both boards? I don't know the answer to that. Couldn't find it. Suffice it to say, if I were looking for a Ophthalmologist and I knew the distinction between the two boards, from the looks of it, I'd prefer an ABO certified doctor.

All that being said, the important thing that I can see is the license by the state which means that he is a qualified doctor despite the Board politics.

Immie

Because certification looks good to your customers. Are you likely to go to a doctor that is only licensed by the state to practice medicine, or are you more likely to go to a doctor that is both licensed and certified by a board of their peers?
I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.

Actually, the contention was that the fact that Rand created the NBO, is the president of the NBO and thus is the NBO, makes it suspicious.

Did anyone see how many doctors are certified by the NBO? I saw something that said "Many doctors" Many could be 12.

What I wanted to know was what are the requirements to be certified by the ABO and the NBO. I have not found that information yet.

Immie

So are we going to just ignore the fact that the head of the ABO certifies himself as well?

OK. And?
Bill Clinton is not a member of the bar anywhere.
Who cares?
Or is this just some attempt to throw dirt and see if it sticks?
Yeah.....great job o' vetting, there....'BAGGERS!!!!

:clap2:

529.gif

I'm more likely to go to a doctor that isn't certified by his fucking wife, himself, and his father in law!!!

The 2010 Executive Director of the ABO is John G. Clarkson, M.D.

ABO

And who do you think he's certified by?

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute - Find a Doctor

Now that we have that settled. You won't go to Rand because he's President of the NBO, and certified by the same. You can't go to Clarkson for essentially the same reason. Which means that you can't go to any board certified ophthalmologist at all, because I'm sure Clarkson and Rand went through the same certification process as the rest of them did. So if Rand and Clarkson made it easy for themselves to be certified, obviously everybody else that's certified by the ABO and the NBO had an easy certification as well.

Actually, the contention was that the fact that Rand created the NBO, is the president of the NBO and thus is the NBO, makes it suspicious.

Did anyone see how many doctors are certified by the NBO? I saw something that said "Many doctors" Many could be 12.

What I wanted to know was what are the requirements to be certified by the ABO and the NBO. I have not found that information yet.

Immie

I couldn't so much as find a website for NBO, either. So I can't say what the difference between the two is.

But the claim is that Paul certifies himself, and is thus not really certified. This means that the head of ABO must logically be guilty of the same, since he is certified by the same organization that he heads.

So are we going to just ignore the fact that the head of the ABO certifies himself as well?

My questions would be:

What are the requirements to be certified by the ABO?

Does Clarkson meet those qualifications?

What are the requirements to be certified by the NBO?

Does Rand meet those qualifications?

Finally, which organization provides the better qualified doctors or are they essentially the same?

Immie

So then you'd agree that Conway is making this a campaign issue just to smear Rand?

I doubt this came from Conway. I haven't seen anything that says it did. But you need to wonder about someone who starts his own organization for certification, of which, board members are members of his family. Makes you kind of say...HHHHMMMMMM:doubt:

The campaign for his Democratic rival, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, said the episode raises serious questions about Paul's character. Conway's campaign said it shows Paul doesn't want to be held to the same standards as other doctors.

"It is clear that Rand Paul does not think the rules apply to him," Conway campaign manager Jonathan Drobis said in a statement Monday.

It may not have originated from Conway's campaign, but they clearly have no problem running with it to further smear Rand.

I have not seen any links on this issue from the Conway camp. If you have, please post it. Otherwise, quit bringing Conway into it.

So should Rand as President of the NBO be certified by the ABO? What about the President of the ABO? Who are they certified by? Should they be certified by the NBO? And do you honestly think that Rand simply certified himself, or do you think he went through the same process every other doctor certified by the NBO went through?
Did the president of the ABO create the ABO? If so, then he's an idiot, too. But I doubt that he did.

Why be certified if it isn't necessary???

Certification makes the patients happy. Not much more than that.

Why be a CPA, because clients want to hire someone that they think knows everything.

Why be a CFP, because clients like initials after your name.

Certification draws clients and the lack thereof sends them packing.

Is he licensed by the state? From all indications, yes he is.

Are the certification requirements the same for both boards? I don't know the answer to that. Couldn't find it. Suffice it to say, if I were looking for a Ophthalmologist and I knew the distinction between the two boards, from the looks of it, I'd prefer an ABO certified doctor.

All that being said, the important thing that I can see is the license by the state which means that he is a qualified doctor despite the Board politics.

Immie

I would also consider a lack of complaints and censures with the state medical board to be important. I have no reason to believe as yet that Paul has either.

As to him starting his own certification board, one wonders what the American Board of Ophthalmologists looked like when IT was the same number of years along.

My questions would be:

Finally, which organization provides the better qualified doctors or are they essentially the same?

Immie

And those are certainly relevant questions, but I'm sure both Rand and Clarkson meet the requirements to be certified by either board. But if we're going to demonize one, we have to demonize the other. And if we're going to demonize them at all, then it can only logically be concluded that the entire certification process for both organizations is bunk and no board certified ophthalmologist should be trusted.

I doubt this came from Conway. I haven't seen anything that says it did. But you need to wonder about someone who starts his own organization for certification, of which, board members are members of his family. Makes you kind of say...HHHHMMMMMM:doubt:

The campaign for his Democratic rival, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, said the episode raises serious questions about Paul's character. Conway's campaign said it shows Paul doesn't want to be held to the same standards as other doctors.

"It is clear that Rand Paul does not think the rules apply to him," Conway campaign manager Jonathan Drobis said in a statement Monday.

It may not have originated from Conway's campaign, but they clearly have no problem running with it to further smear Rand.

I have not seen any links on this issue from the Conway camp. If you have, please post it. Otherwise, quit bringing Conway into it.

The comments that I quoted are from the OP. Maybe you should actually read the article before you comment in this thread, so that you actually know what's going on.

Uh, that quote was from you own fucking link, cluebird. Are you telling us you don't trust the info in the article YOU posted?

I'm replying to your post.

Certain dimwits around here want to know why I call this a lie. Let me explain for the thinking-impaired.

A lie is any intentional misdirection or deception. Now then, the OP chose to title his thread "Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor". This is untrue, as demonstrated by his own link, which states that he IS certified, but by a different ophthalmological board than is usually used. I can either assume that the OP didn't read his own link, and thus didn't know this, or I can assume that he DID read the link, and chose to deliberately misrepresent the situation.

No argument from me on that point

Furthermore, it is pretty obviously the intention of Paul's political opponents, of which the OP is one, to use this to imply that there is something wrong with Paul as an ophthalmologist. The simple statement ". . . is not a certified Doctor" implies that he's not really a doctor, or not able to practice. This assertion on my part is borne out by the fact that, indeed, some posters took it to mean EXACTLY that. In fact, of course, it is STATE LICENSING that conveys the right to practice medicine, not certification with ANY medical board.

I said as much in a previous post

In addition, several posters are NOW attempting to construe this (and I believe Paul's political rival is doing so as well) as him HAVING to form another certification board because he could not be certified by the original. This is untrue, as seen in the article. No one, not even the medical board, has ever even HINTED that Rand Paul is uncertifiable. As the article states, both sides of the discussion are quite clear that he voluntarily left that board over a dispute that had NOTHING to do with his own practice or medical skills at all, but was a disagreement about policy.

Don't like the rules? Change the game?
Is this his political goals as well?

Which means all of the aforementioned crap is lies, and the anuses spewing it are liars.

Any questions?
Damn....
You defend Paul more with more fervor than Obamanuts defend their messiah.

This entire situation just looks like an end-around to me.
:eusa_hand:

To wildly paraphrase a great line from the old Barney Miller show...

...in the Future there will be no certified opthamologists. In the Future,

all opthamology will be handled by chiropractors....

My questions would be:

Immie

And those are certainly relevant questions, but I'm sure both Rand and Clarkson meet the requirements to be certified by either board. But if we're going to demonize one, we have to demonize the other. And if we're going to demonize them at all, then it can only logically be concluded that the entire certification process for both organizations is bunk and no board certified ophthalmologist should be trusted.

I suppose my one concern as to why I would choose ABO over NBO is the lack of information that I can find regarding the NBO. Plenty of information about the ABO in fact here is a link to the requirements of being certified by the ABO:

ABO

But, I can't find the requirements of the NBO. I'd have to think... er hope at least, that the requirements are similar. But, if I can't find any information about those requirements, well, what good is the certification? For all I know the only requirement is that you found a secret toy in Cracker Jack Box and turned it in to Rand Paul. Note: joking about that, but the certification means nothing if I don't know what the requirements are for certification.

Immie

Immanuel,

I have also been searching for the NBO.
Even typed out the long words! :D
I'm not finding anything but related stories.
Do they not have a website?

Immanuel,

I have also been searching for the NBO.
Even typed out the long words! :D
I'm not finding anything but related stories.
Do they not have a website?

Hahaha, I quit looking after about 8 pages on Yahoo's search engine.

One would think they had a page if they were a legitimate organization, wouldn't one? Wonder if they will in two or three days?

I hate to say it, but after entering this thread and looking for the NBO and not finding anything on it, I'm a little more skeptical than I was when I started defending Paul's certification.

He's still licensed... I think... and that is what matters... the boards are little more than unions... but, still to claim certification means nothing, if certification is nothing more than dues paid.

Immie

From reading the links, it's clear why Paul is against 10 year recertification. He doesn't want to continue to learn.

Doctors really are scientists and scientific advancement is "continuous".

Conservative is the "opposite" of "change". Recertification is continuous improvement, which, of course, is "change".

Normal people want the best possible medical care backed by the most recent and up to date scientific understanding.

The "BEST" doctor 10 years ago might only be average today without bothering to study new techniques and available advancements.

Forum List

Back