PsychoMalarkey

My biggest beef and greatest challenge is ODD - oppositional defiance disorder. Last year, I had a student who took great pleasure in picking fights with everyone in the classroom. I would send her out and they would send her back. Apparently under special education law a student may not be disciplined for a "manifestation of their disability" So if an ODD kid is defiant, its merely a symptom of their "disease". Utter bullshit.

Oh and I have her again in Sept. Aaaaaag!

:(poor chanel.... again in Sept? How?

You're correct: SpEd cannot be disciplined for manifestationas of their disability WITHOUT DUE PROCESS

Then school can then send the student to an

appropriate interim alternative educational setting for up to forty-five days if school officials can demonstrate that maintaining the student in his or her current placement is substantially likely to result in injury to the student or others.

Here is a linky to an excellent article you may want to share with administration (although I'm certain they already know about it).

i think it's one of the side-effects of the seventies and the civil rights era that our society has gone from being defiant about our natural circumstances to seeking out our natural impediments in order to barter them for government or social accommodation.

Of course: IDEA was passed in 1975.....:eusa_whistle:....by Republican Gerald Ford

Many of the laws expanding federal government's ability to "help" (in contrast to "protect") the individual were enacted during the '70's.

Well said antagon. And while we all try to stay away from labels, unfortunately for many parents the label in and of itself is comforting. "Why is my child failing?" It's because he has ADHD; not because he's dumb. It sounds "medical" like saying "my child has an allergy or diabetes or needs glasses..." No shame in that. The self esteem movement in schools has done more harm than good in my opinion. No one has to say to the student "work harder"; they say to the teachers "modify the assignment" Code word - dumb it down. Children are not taught to adapt; adults will adapt for them. And if that doesn't work - try a pill.

As you're a female, I cannot hep to feel a certain sense of satisfaction with the irony that you'd come to this conclusion.

I believe much of the '70's was a FEMINIST rejection of Antagon's Theory that "our greatness comes from our ability to adapt as individuals to a society which in turn adapts to our circumstances." This is an entirely MASCULINE POV. In fact, if we logically follow it to its extreme, we would end up in ancient Sparta, where individuals deemed never able to "adapt as individuals" were left to die at birth.

I am tired of all of this shit. Getting a label for you badly behaved child is the easy way out. You don't have to deal with your brat child. You don't have to make them behave or adapt.

This is only a guess, but I suspect you're not a parent, more likely a brat.

And i bet you loved having an itsit while watching Laughing Sal.

After surfing the day away and after an enchilida and rice meal at the Hot House - somehow you don't seem old enough to have had those experiences.

This is only a guess, but I suspect you're not a parent, more likely a brat.

And i bet you loved having an itsit while watching Laughing Sal.

After surfing the day away and after an enchilida and rice meal at the Hot House - somehow you don't seem old enough to have had those experiences.

Poor itis now a days are not quite what they used to be are they? And it took how long to sell the white elephants they built on top of the fun house?

so much for brat...:lol:

Last edited:
I believe much of the '70's was a FEMINIST rejection of Antagon's Theory that "our greatness comes from our ability to adapt as individuals to a society which in turn adapts to our circumstances." This is an entirely MASCULINE POV. In fact, if we logically follow it to its extreme, we would end up in ancient Sparta, where individuals deemed never able to "adapt as individuals" were left to die at birth.

to the contrary, i contend that a nurture-based society is one which promotes the idea of struggling to get in where you fit in no matter your natural circumstances at birth - adaptation. the spartan conclusion which you have come up with mimics the nazi characterization which i criticized in that same piece.

masculine, feminine and all-caps aside... i think that my generation has the shittiest idea of how to raise kids on account of the mentalities and agencies arising from the civil rights era and the 70s. i dont propose that race, sex, age and disability should return as grounds for prejudice - your taken to the extreme. but i think we pursue these (of which disability is the most pliable) as replacements for the proceeds of discipline and a social standards which we were raised with.

"lower the bar or prescribe a quick-fix for my wild-child kid and his half-ass parents who reared him." is what it looks like to me.

to the contrary, i contend that a nurture-based society is one which promotes the idea of struggling to get in where you fit in no matter your natural circumstances at birth - adaptation. the spartan conclusion which you have come up with mimics the nazi characterization which i criticized in that same piece.

masculine, feminine and all-caps aside... i think that my generation has the shittiest idea of how to raise kids on account of the mentalities and agencies arising from the civil rights era and the 70s. i dont propose that race, sex, age and disability should return as grounds for prejudice - your taken to the extreme. but i think we pursue these (of which disability is the most pliable) as replacements for the proceeds of discipline and a social standards which we were raised with.

"lower the bar or prescribe a quick-fix for my wild-child kid and his half-ass parents who reared him." is what it looks like to me.

Bingo!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Pardon me for trying to decipher whatever the hell you attempt to communicate. As I've said before, a writing course wouldn't kill you.

"mentalities and agencies arising from the civil rights era and the 70s"

Let's see if we can fix your attempt at English: "The agencies arising from mentalities that emphasize individual rights during the '70's." The individual rights or "civil rights" included women's rights. For the playing field to be level for women, the bar needed to be lowered.

Once the bar was lowered for women, they set about lowering it for the weak, the "half-assed," and anyone else with whom they could sympathise, but mostly, themselves.

They found themselves unexpectedly raising "wild-child" kids as well as working. Could they accept blame?

Of course not.

What i got out it Samson was no special treatment. No more excuses.

You could have been reading Chinese, and that's what you would've "got out:" You already had your mind made up.

My point isn't that the treatment should or shouldn't be excused, or special. My point is that it is a product of women having a larger role in society, politics, business, and government and a diminished role as mothers.

i'm not sure i don't or didn't have any of these deals. i'm pretty sure it was not severe, if that was the case. do you have any insight into what has caused the insurgence of these 'disorders' and can we be certain it isn't just zealous diagnosis?
No idea. I'm sure lazy parenting has contributed somewhat to incorrect diagnoses, but I know from my own experiences that at least some are legitimate.

one thing is certain, that if you were born in the 60s your life would have involved adapting to society without any prescribed drugs.
I'm sure. Older relatives of mine do have the same sort of problem, however, and have probably suffered by not having access to the same sort of treatment that I benefited from as a child.

...maybe non-prescription. :eusa_think:
I'm on several of those, too. I'm sure they don't help. :lol:

yea I mean if a kid has severe attention issues you can just whip him and force him to read the bible and eventually it will go away!

and for those kids with sensory integration disorder if you keep forcing them to ride the bike and fall over 9.9 out of 10 times eventually they will get it!

My sister fought with her kids' school for years against putting them on drugs. She demanded and got IEP sessions and had the boys properly evaluated. They are drug-free and currently in accelerated/gifted classes. Her 10 year old is a MENSA candidate.

Imagine what the current system would have done with Einstein.

Medication didn't affect my placement or treatment in schools or my IQ scores. It simply improves focus.

I think there should be a middle ground and as with most things the extremists on both sides have taken over.

for example, the "conservatives" who don't believe in science and any diagnosis of problems, think they can "beat & bible" anything out of kids. they knock up some slut who drinks during the pregnancy and then when a kid is born with FAS and has no real ability to decipher right and wrong, they beat the kid until he runs away and ends up in jail anyway instead of getting him "vodoo counseling" thats tailored to the exact disorder.

you then have the assholes on the left (and big pharma companies) who think because a kid screams for stuff they should be given drugs instead of being disciplined.

neither extreme helps.

My sister fought with her kids' school for years against putting them on drugs. She demanded and got IEP sessions and had the boys properly evaluated. They are drug-free and currently in accelerated/gifted classes. Her 10 year old is a MENSA candidate.

Medication didn't affect my placement or treatment in schools or my IQ scores. It simply improves focus.

taking ritalin got me 3 more points on my ACT test. ripped through the reading sections.... I also used to use in high school when teachers would assign hundreds of pages a night to read.

yea I mean if a kid has severe attention issues you can just whip him and force him to read the bible and eventually it will go away!

and for those kids with sensory integration disorder if you keep forcing them to ride the bike and fall over 9.9 out of 10 times eventually they will get it!

Didn't this work 100 years ago?

Why wouldn't it work today?

no it didn't. it created outcasts, "the village idiot", "the town drunk", people who were forced into a life of wage slavery, etc.

for stuff like SIDs, it can be as simple as early diagnosis and 2-3 years of counseling/physical workings and the kid will then be "normal" and able to put their hands out when they fall, not get in the face every time they throw a baseball, cope with have more than 3 people moving around them, etc.

no it didn't. it created outcasts, "the village idiot", "the town drunk", people who were forced into a life of wage slavery, etc.

for stuff like SIDs, it can be as simple as early diagnosis and 2-3 years of counseling/physical workings and the kid will then be "normal" and able to put their hands out when they fall, not get in the face every time they throw a baseball, cope with have more than 3 people moving around them, etc.

What does Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDs) have to do with this thread?

Regardless, I agree with you. Today we really have no excuses to create the village idiot, or town drunk, or cannon fodder, or cousin living in the attic.

What does Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDs) have to do with this thread?

Regardless, I agree with you. Today we really have no excuses to create the village idiot, or town drunk, or cannon fodder, or cousin living in the attic.

sorry for the confusion, sid = sensory integration disorder

Sensory Processing Disorder

taking ritalin got me 3 more points on my ACT test. ripped through the reading sections.... I also used to use in high school when teachers would assign hundreds of pages a night to read.
People in my high school would buy Adderall from each other right before taking the SATs. :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back