PsychoMalarkey

Discussion in 'Education' started by antagon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Discipline formerly central to raising and educating children has all but been replaced by diagnosis and often chemical treatment of 'ailments' invented by new-age shrinks. Its endemic in public education. Its at least epidemic in the rearing of kids born in the late 80s and beyond.

OCD, ADD, ADHD, ODD... BS

Even our accommodation of other more physiologically substantive learning disabilities coddles the afflicted youth rather than tapping into the human mind's capacity to adapt to our society and the obligations of adult life.

Have we forgotten why we bother to raise kids? I argue that some have been misguided as to how.

Note: antagon has no children. :doubt:

2. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    You'd probably feel differently if you had one of those disorders. Mine persisted into adulthood and is a pretty significant hindrance unless I stay strung out on these amphetamines they prescribed me.

3. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i'm not sure i don't or didn't have any of these deals. i'm pretty sure it was not severe, if that was the case. do you have any insight into what has caused the insurgence of these 'disorders' and can we be certain it isn't just zealous diagnosis?

one thing is certain, that if you were born in the 60s your life would have involved adapting to society without any prescribed drugs.

...maybe non-prescription. :eusa_think:

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I believe that we are making a tragic mistake diagnosing some kinds of thinking as a medical condition.

For example, EXCEPT IN THE MOST EGREGIOUS CASES OF A.D.D., we are over diagnosing those people as being abnormal and as handicapped.

I think most people with "mild" ADD are in fact well within the normal state of the bell curve of the human condition.

Those people's way of processing data is not ABNORMAL.

However, it may be less useful in this society than it was in previous societies.

FWIW, anybody who takes amphetimines is going to be able to focus their attention more, and enjoy all the mental focus that comes with taking amphetimines.

So in the sense that you think you must had ADD because amphetimines make you more productive?

That is a mistaken notion of how ones mind is supposed to work.

( *)Now, I can focus my attention on one thing for hours and hours...or even for days and days if I am fascinated by whatever it is I am focusing on.

Maybe I can focus my attention too much.

Do I have ASD (ATTENTION SURPLUS DISORDER?)

From a purely darwinian perspective, that way of focusing attention might not be as healthy or as normal as we think it is.

After all, because of this condition I tend to ignore things I OUGHT to be paying attention to.

But since our society needs people with ASD style of thinking, we usually don't think of that as being a problem.

I have had to teach kids who REALLY had ADD. Believe me that is a crippling disorder.

But most people NOW, who tell me they have that problem?

I don't really think they do.

I think they are taking amphetimines, and those makes them more productive (just as they do everybody) but they don't really need them, nor should they be taking those drugs.

In the long run those drugs kill you early.

Don't TRUST modern medicine.

It's wrong so often.

*(this is another reason I find smoking dope to be a good thing for me...it helps me NOT to focus so damned much)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    My sister fought with her kids' school for years against putting them on drugs. She demanded and got IEP sessions and had the boys properly evaluated. They are drug-free and currently in accelerated/gifted classes. Her 10 year old is a MENSA candidate.

Imagine what the current system would have done with Einstein.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Good point Mr H. Einstein was dyslexic. In my school, he would have been dumped in a resource room with other drugged up kids,

My biggest beef and greatest challenge is ODD - oppositional defiance disorder. Last year, I had a student who took great pleasure in picking fights with everyone in the classroom. I would send her out and they would send her back. Apparently under special education law a student may not be disciplined for a "manifestation of their disability" So if an ODD kid is defiant, its merely a symptom of their "disease". Utter bullshit.

Oh and I have her again in Sept. Aaaaaag!

7. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Putting a label on kids seems to be a non-productive way of dealing with the problem for the adults. Drop the language which characterizes a child as learning diabled, and teach parents, teachers (who may be parents too, don't forget) and kids that everyone has a unique and different learning style.
    The problems with our education system, IMO, is we want to teach all kids the same way. Some thrive, some get by and some rebel.
    We all learn different ways. For example, putting together a BBQ with my then 13 yo son; I opened the box and took out the written directions, sat down to read. He began to put it together by picking up the pieces and testing how they fit together. As we worked he would go to the pieces in each step while I read, and he would have them together almost before I finished reading and processing the step.

Giving kids medicine has the potential of making the child believe there is something wrong with them. Rather then using the traditional drugs, some of which are very much more powerful than amphetamine, try a caffine 'vitamin' with their breakfast, so suggests a psychologist friend of mine.

8. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    While I agree with your points, I fail to see the harm: What evidence is there that society would be better off would we be without "diagnosis and often chemical treatment of 'ailments' invented by new-age shrinks."

9. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    What grade level do you teach? I'm curious, are the ODD kid's parents at all involved? Does she have a social worker or probation officer? Is she in counseling? Does she connect with any peers?

10. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I am inclined to wonder to what extent television and later video games were involved in creating some of these problems.

I grew up watching black and white television. Just watching there is the constant reminder by the lack of color that THIS AIN'T REAL. But did color television help reduce that awareness of unreality.

I got addicted to DOOM for about 8 months back in the 90s. A friend of mine melted his Quake CD over the stove to stop playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(video_game)

So what has all of this electronic stimulation done to kid's nervous systems? But then they are expected to sit still and listen to boring teachers hour after hour. Most of my grade school teachers were boring in the 60s. I don't know how I would have gotten through grade school without science fiction books. LOL I could sit quietly and think about that and give the teacher about 25% of my attention and still get A's and B's.

psik