Protests for $15-an-hour wages set to expand Wednesday

Compared to wages adjusted for inflation, or what they are in Europe, $15/hour is a gift.

Adjusted for inflation of what? Since when?

"The minimum wage should have reached $21.72 an hour in 2012 if it kept up with increases in worker productivity, according to a March study by the Center for Economic and Policy Research. While advancements in technology have increased the amount of goods and services that can be produced in a set amount of time, wages have remained relatively flat, the study points out.

Even if the minimum wage kept up with inflation since it peaked in real value in the late 1960s, low-wage workers should be earning a minimum of $10.52 an hour, according to the study."
Minimum Wage Would Be 21.72 If It Kept Pace With Increases In Productivity Study

Micky D's and Walmart would be total shitholes to be employed at and why any adult applies to them is beyond me. Another reason to get educated with a college degree.

Then again being a CEO wouldn't be all that difficult of a job. Sit on your butt and make a big bunch of money. Nice cushy.

I do hate to keep pointing this out but the minimum wage is not and never was meant to be a so called living wage it was meant to be the starting point for high school kids looking for a job or those entering the workforce right out of high school.
That's YOUR opinion. SOMEONE will ALWAYS have to take the trash out,cook the burgers etc...they DO NOT deserve low wages. Period. This is a human rights issue and if the results of Wal Mart and McDonalds raising wages is any clue we are winning.
No that is fact just beacuse you can't accept it doesn't change it.
Got some proof to make it fact? So far its your opinion....so come on....how about telling us how much you make an hour...? or year? Both my wife and I have licenses in specific fields but together we make less than 25k a year. Mine is my fault because my driving record sucks but my wife has experience and its all about the greedy assholes who steal her labor without a decent wage. I am pushing her to become an LPN because she has found something she loves to do.

Compared to wages adjusted for inflation, or what they are in Europe, $15/hour is a gift.

"The minimum wage should have reached $21.72 an hour in 2012 if it kept up with increases in worker productivity, according to a March study by the Center for Economic and Policy Research. While advancements in technology have increased the amount of goods and services that can be produced in a set amount of time, wages have remained relatively flat, the study points out.

Even if the minimum wage kept up with inflation since it peaked in real value in the late 1960s, low-wage workers should be earning a minimum of $10.52 an hour, according to the study."
Minimum Wage Would Be 21.72 If It Kept Pace With Increases In Productivity Study

Yes... Minimum Wage should be $25... that way the Minimum Burger would be $35... Good Burgers $55...

Now, I ask ya, how is a person making minimum wage going to afford a hamburger of you get your way?

LOL! You people are clueless.

Unions got higher wages in the auto industry and the auto industry didn't collapse or suffer for it. Higher minimum wage isn't going to put fast food places out of business. So their CEOs make 200 instead of 300 times a line worker, sorry but no sympathy here.

Unions got higher wages in the auto industry and the auto industry didn't collapse or suffer for it.

Umm...our auto industry shrank down to 3 companies, 2 of which collapsed under their unsustainable pension systems. They now have multi-tiered wage structures.

Higher minimum wage isn't going to put fast food places out of business.

It'll put some out of business. It'll reduce the revenue of others.
Both results will end in lower employment of minimum wage workers.

The ones that'd go out of business are the low-end of the fast food world. The dodgy taco places you probably shouldn't be eating at anyway. The big chains will survive just fine.

"The U.S. has a $7.25 minimum wage. Australia’s is $16.88"
The U.S. has a 7.25 minimum wage. Australia s is 16.88 - The Washington Post

About 900 McDonald's in Australia.

The minimum wage should have reached $21.72 an hour in 2012 if it kept up with increases in worker productivity

Why would low productivity workers keep up with the productivity of the entire workforce?
Has a broom pusher gotten more productive since the Internet Revolution?

Micky D's and Walmart would be total shitholes to be employed at and why any adult applies to them is beyond me. Another reason to get educated with a college degree.
And go into debt for 25 years. Brilliant! What about those that either can't afford,don't have good enough grades or just don't wan to go to college? They should just be thrown to the way side and to hell with them making decent wages?

Unions got higher wages in the auto industry and the auto industry didn't collapse or suffer for it. Higher minimum wage isn't going to put fast food places out of business. So their CEOs make 200 instead of 300 times a line worker, sorry but no sympathy here.

Unions got higher wages in the auto industry and the auto industry didn't collapse or suffer for it.

Umm...our auto industry shrank down to 3 companies, 2 of which collapsed under their unsustainable pension systems. They now have multi-tiered wage structures.

Higher minimum wage isn't going to put fast food places out of business.

It'll put some out of business. It'll reduce the revenue of others.
Both results will end in lower employment of minimum wage workers.

The ones that'd go out of business are the low-end of the fast food world. The dodgy taco places you probably shouldn't be eating at anyway. The big chains will survive just fine.

"The U.S. has a $7.25 minimum wage. Australia’s is $16.88"
The U.S. has a 7.25 minimum wage. Australia s is 16.88 - The Washington Post

About 900 McDonald's in Australia.

The ones that'd go out of business are the low-end of the fast food world.

I guess those low-end workers don't need their $7.25?

The big chains will survive just fine.

Sure. They'll raise prices and reduce staffing levels.
I guess some of their employees don't need their $7.25 either.

$7.25 an hour is not worth applying for nor showing up for. $7.25 an hour will not provide a paycheck.

Yes... Minimum Wage should be $25... that way the Minimum Burger would be $35... Good Burgers $55...

Now, I ask ya, how is a person making minimum wage going to afford a hamburger of you get your way?

LOL! You people are clueless.
That's been proven false many times over. If a CEO is making millions and the prices stay low raising wages of workers won't matter much if at all.

And go into debt for 25 years. Brilliant! What about those that either can't afford,don't have good enough grades or just don't wan to go to college? They should just be thrown to the way side and to hell with them making decent wages?

The ones don't want to get skills or accept responsibilities, and stay on a dead-end job, get minimum wage. If you want more, be willing to do what it takes to get ahead.
Hell, even McDonald's offers promotions if you'll work for it and aren't dumber than a rock.

No McDonald's doesn't believe in promotions all that much and does not want good workers. Their model is high turnover, low wages even for their best workers.

The ones don't want to get skills or accept responsibilities, and stay on a dead-end job, get minimum wage. If you want more, be willing to do what it takes to get ahead.
Hell, even McDonald's offers promotions if you'll work for it and aren't dumber than a rock.
No one deserves min wage. Period.

No McDonald's doesn't believe in promotions all that much and does not want good workers. Their model is high turnover, low wages even for their best workers.
Then let your feet do the talking and get another job. Believe me, McDonald's will pay what they have to in order to keep their doors open. They just won't pay $15/hr for $7.25/hr worth of work. That's called capitalism. Look it up.

If they want $15/hr so be it, however, I don't expect to hear any crying when the number of low paying jobs start evaporating and prices begin to climb. Sad to think the real losers will be high school summer job seekers and unskilled drop outs.

I do hate to keep pointing this out but the minimum wage is not and never was meant to be a so called living wage it was meant to be the starting point for high school kids looking for a job or those entering the workforce right out of high school.
That's YOUR opinion. SOMEONE will ALWAYS have to take the trash out,cook the burgers etc...they DO NOT deserve low wages. Period. This is a human rights issue and if the results of Wal Mart and McDonalds raising wages is any clue we are winning.
No that is fact just beacuse you can't accept it doesn't change it.
Got some proof to make it fact? So far its your opinion....so come on....how about telling us how much you make an hour...? or year? Both my wife and I have licenses in specific fields but together we make less than 25k a year. Mine is my fault because my driving record sucks but my wife has experience and its all about the greedy assholes who steal her labor without a decent wage. I am pushing her to become an LPN because she has found something she loves to do.
Okay, now I know that your a liar.

No one steals anyone's labor. If you believe that, you should call the cops and have that guy with the gun arrested.

Forum List

Back