Professional Politicians

Leo123

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2017
Anyone else wonder how some politicians can have 40 to 50 year careers when they have to be elected every 4 years? Is that what the Founders envisioned?

Then vote them out. Of course I guess you aren't counting federal office holders since you used 4 years as your example.

The founders also considered yet ultimately rejected term limits for Congress.

Term Limits...not only elected officials but their staff as well...and a rotation for top position entrenched bureaucrats....we have to take back control of our government....

Anyone else wonder how some politicians can have 40 to 50 year careers when they have to be elected every 4 years? Is that what the Founders envisioned?
I sometimes wonder how they go to WashDC as regular Americans and leave filthy rich.

Wait ... no I don't. :cool:

Last edited:
Term Limits...not only elected officials but their staff as well...and a rotation for top position entrenched bureaucrats....we have to take back control of our government....

Gonna' have to change the Constitution.

I was thinking of keeping term limits and adding a minimum performance standard. You elect them, they don't do what they ran on, they can get kicked out of office before their term is up. After all, that's what Democrats are trying to do with Trump. It's only fair....right?

I sometimes wonder how they go to WashDC regular Americans and leave filthy rich.

Wait ... no I don't. :cool:

Power and influence translate to $$$$ in politics. Just ask Hunter Biden. Hillary Clinton.

I was thinking of keeping term limits and adding a minimum performance standard. You elect them, they don't do what they ran on, they can get kicked out of office before their term is up. After all, that's what Democrats are trying to do with Trump. It's only fair....right?

Yeah, Mexico hasn't paid for the wall and Trump hasn't come up with a replacement for Obamacare that was supposed to be better. So, I guess he has to step down then.

Of course your idea is unconstitutional and not enforceable in the first place.

Yeah, Mexico hasn't paid for the wall and Trump hasn't come up with a replacement for Obamacare that was supposed to be better. So, I guess he has to step down then.

Trump has come up with it but Congress won't consider it. Since Congress is run by Democrats who simply hate Trump, little can be accomplished. It's the same excuse Clinton used so you should be familiar with it. Only this time, it's personal. The establishment Democrats absolutely hate Trump because he represents ALL of America, not just the elite in NY, LA and DC.

My 'idea' is what the Democrats are trying to do to Trump and remember, you called it unconstitutional. Next time try to comprehend a bit better.

Last edited:

Trump has come up with it but Congress won't consider it. Since Congress is run by Democrats who simply hate Trump, little can be accomplished. It's the same excuse Clinton used so you should be familiar with it. Only this time, it's personal. The establishment Democrats absolutely hate Trump because he represents ALL of America, not just the elite in NY, LA and DC.

My 'idea' is what the Democrats are trying to do to Trump and yes, it is unconstitutional. Next time try to comprehend a bit better.

Trump has come up with what? Term limits? Great, you need a constitutional amendment and regardless of who controls Congress that is not happening any time soon. Also, last I checked the senate is controlled by the GOP.

Anyway, you're thread is nothing more than wishful thinking on top of bad ideas.

Trump has come up with what? Term limits? Great, you need a constitutional amendment and regardless of who controls Congress that is not happening any time soon. Also, last I checked the senate is controlled by the GOP.

Anyway, you're thread is nothing more than wishful thinking on top of bad ideas.

I was addressing your post and if you don't understand, ask your mommy to explain it.

I was addressing your post and if you don't understand, ask your mommy to explain it.

I didn't say you weren't. I'm saying you appear to not have a clue that term limits require the constitution to be amended and the idea of deciding to throw a politician out of office if they lie about their promises but apparently you aren't capable of seeing the problems with that.

It's hard to imagine this is what they wanted, and it's one of the primary reasons that term limits are so badly needed.

Those who argue against term limits throw up the silly argument that "elections are term limits", when any adult practicing fundamental critical thinking understands that an incumbent has significant structural advantages that only grow over time. A vast majority of incumbents are re-elected, as we all know.

Imagine how differently these people would behave and legislate if they were not spending so much of their time fundraising, campaigning, and making sure they keep their base and their contributors happy.

To ignore this is intellectual dishonesty in the extreme. This is a farce.

Last edited:
Eh, the founding fathers rejected term limits and felt it was important that there were experienced politicians in Congress. It's also next to impossible to impost term limits, I'm more interested in getting private money out of federal elections. Any old think tank or industry is just going to fund the next guy to run for office, there is no shortage of cranks willing to sell their souls for a buck.

I didn't say you weren't. I'm saying you appear to not have a clue that term limits require the constitution to be amended and the idea of deciding to throw a politician out of office if they lie about their promises but apparently you aren't capable of seeing the problems with that.

Try again Happy Joy...You completely missed the point.....again.

Nope. It sure wasn't. There shouldn't be any professional politicians. No one was supposed to make a living at being a politician.

Yet here we are with loads of assholes sucking off the tax payer tit their whole lives and getting a nice retirement package that we pay for.

Gonna' have to change the Constitution.
Length of terms for congress and the senate are not specified in the constitution...and so they can be changed at any time....

Forum List

Back