Privatize the Money Pit Boondoggle Called “Amtrak”

Just a few more rail lines and it would be viable transportation in America.

There needs to be an east-west southern route, but there isn't.

I took the Amtrak to California in the early '80s. Went to Chicago, then down to Colorado west through New Mexico to Los Angeles, then up the coast. Went home the northern route through Wyoming back to Chicago which was the hub east to home. 3 days each way. I really enjoyed it. Saw tons of beautiful scenery. I'd hate to see this fail now, I think if Trump had the backing of a functional government, this is one of the things he'd try to privatize and expand as you say to a wider network of greater use.

P1010018.JPG

I took the Amtrak to California in the early '80s. Went to Chicago, then down to Colorado west through New Mexico to Los Angeles, then up the coast. Went home the northern route through Wyoming back to Chicago which was the hub east to home. 3 days each way. I really enjoyed it. Saw tons of beautiful scenery. I'd hate to see this fail now, I think if Trump had the backing of a functional government, this is one of the things he'd try to privatize and expand as you say to a wider network of greater use.

View attachment 276853
I took Amtrak from Texas to Illinois a few years ago. Miserable trip. Toilets overflowing with shit, staff was rude, food and beer too expensive and had to use a shuttle service. I thought, “what a waste of my tax dollars.”

You now have to take shuttles to locations that once had service.

It doesn't really matter, because whether public or private, Amtrak will never, ever, ever make a profit in this country due to the United States' geography; unlike most countries, the physical distances in America are so massive, that most people fly for interstate travel. That's why America has a gargantuan airline industry and a microscopic long-distance commercial train industry. People prefer to get to other parts of the country in a few hours, as opposed to a few days.

Last time I was on Amtrak (whose food & service were excellent, I'll admit), I called it the Railroad Hippo Wagon - because it was filled with 300-400 pound human dirigibles who are physically too fat to fit in a narrow airplane seat (Amtrak seats have twice the size and legroom). Whenever I took the staircase in these double-decker cars, I would have to back up and let human blobs pass by, because they filled up the entire stairway; it looked like these gelatinous gastropods had somehow been poured into the stairwell.

Forum List

Back