Polygamy Next Marriage to Legalize?

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this.

So what you are saying is you can't think of any reason why polygamous marriages should not be legal?
I am saying I can't see the anti-polygamy laws surviving this Supreme Court, after the gay marriage ruling.

Why?

How do you think the Obergefell v. Hodges decision would apply to polygamy? Be specific.
If the 14th A means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless then there is no argument against anything that calls itself marriage. Love is love.

And Rabbi stays consistently wrong with his interpretation of everything.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this.

So what you are saying is you can't think of any reason why polygamous marriages should not be legal?
I am saying I can't see the anti-polygamy laws surviving this Supreme Court, after the gay marriage ruling.

Why?

How do you think the Obergefell v. Hodges decision would apply to polygamy? Be specific.
If the 14th A means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless then there is no argument against anything that calls itself marriage. Love is love.

Are you in the right thread?

Translate, please.

Why?

The SCOTUS ruling does not include the statement "The 14 Amendment means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless".
Correct but irrelevant.

Why?

Translate, please.
Sorry, I dont speak Moron.

Why?

Translate, please.
Sorry, I dont speak Moron.

From your posts, it is clear you have mastered speaking Moron.

Freewill supports polygamy,which actually is a logical position for a true conservative and or a libertarian.

I know the antigay marriage crowd says the slippery slope will lead to adults marrying children, but if you now the case law on children consent, you know that it won't go there. Minors don't have the mental capacity to consent to such a relationship. But I digress.

Polygamy is getting challenged as we say and I have no doubt it will be legalized fairly soon. Should it be? Do you have an issue with it? No doubt there will soon be mail order 2nd wives from Easter Europe starting soon.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this. So is America ready for polygamy? Personally I wouldn't mind a 2nd 20 something wife!:dance:

Gay marriage and polygamy are two different things like straight marriage and polygamy are two different things.

If gay marriage paved the way for polygamy, so did straight marriage.

Why?

The SCOTUS ruling does not include the statement "The 14 Amendment means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless".

Exact wording of Clause one of the 14th amendment:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.<Birth Right and Citizenship clause> No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;<Privileges and Immunities Clause> nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law <the 14th Amendment Due Process Clause (also in the 5th Amendment)>; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. <Equal Protection Clause>"

The equal protection clause is what will be used, but courts utilize case law precedent to formulate their rulings. I can't see how this court would not utilize the same reasoning to plural marriage.

Freewill supports polygamy,which actually is a logical position for a true conservative and or a libertarian.

No one should ever be a true anything. You should be conservative on some issues, liberal on others and moderate and even more issues.

As long as it's between consenting adults, I couldn't care

I know the antigay marriage crowd says the slippery slope will lead to adults marrying children, but if you now the case law on children consent, you know that it won't go there. Minors don't have the mental capacity to consent to such a relationship. But I digress.

Polygamy is getting challenged as we say and I have no doubt it will be legalized fairly soon. Should it be? Do you have an issue with it? No doubt there will soon be mail order 2nd wives from Easter Europe starting soon.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this. So is America ready for polygamy? Personally I wouldn't mind a 2nd 20 something wife!:dance:

Why could they deny it before same sex marriage was legalized?

Gay marriage and polygamy are two different things like straight marriage and polygamy are two different things.

If gay marriage paved the way for polygamy, so did straight marriage.

They won't accept that argument because they are desperate to blame SOMETHING on gay marriage.

"Polygamy Next Marriage to Legalize?"

Actually it doesn't need to be 'legalized.'

States are at liberty to repeal their bigamy laws and rewrite or amend their existing marriage laws to accommodate three or more persons marrying.

This is why references to 'polygamy' fail as a slippery slope fallacy with regard to Obergefell, as same-sex couples were already eligible to enter into marriage contracts in accordance with existing marriage laws, laws that did not need to be rewritten or amended to accommodate same-sex couples, and which is why measures designed to deny same-sex couples access to marriage were invalidated because they sought to disadvantage gay Americans predicated solely on who they are.

Consequently, there are no 14th Amendment issues with regard to three or more persons marrying, where they are disallowed to marry not because of who they are, but because no marriage law is written to accommodate such a configuration.

"Polygamy Next Marriage to Legalize?"

Actually it doesn't need to be 'legalized.'

States are at liberty to repeal their bigamy laws and rewrite or amend their existing marriage laws to accommodate three or more persons marrying.

This is why references to 'polygamy' fail as a slippery slope fallacy with regard to Obergefell, as same-sex couples were already eligible to enter into marriage contracts in accordance with existing marriage laws, laws that did not need to be rewritten or amended to accommodate same-sex couples, and which is why measures designed to deny same-sex couples access to marriage were invalidated because they sought to disadvantage gay Americans predicated solely on who they are.

Consequently, there are no 14th Amendment issues with regard to three or more persons marrying, where they are disallowed to marry not because of who they are, but because no marriage law is written to accommodate such a configuration.

See now the far left want to argue that "marriage" is not a right!

Any state can repeal bigamy laws, let the opponents challenge it in courts, and see if SCOTUS will overturn Reynolds. I bet it would be a 1 in 5 chance.

Why could they deny it before same sex marriage was legalized?

Courts will look to that precedent when going forward. If it ever makes it to the supreme court, then it will be the law of the land.

Forum List

Back