Polygamy Next Marriage to Legalize?

I would see the women and Kennedy and Breyer joining the conservatives, except for Scalia, who would opine, "want some."

It opens the definition of marriage to all sorts of chilling scenarios. Next time you see a couple of hairy transvestites with wedding rings think of the possibilities in the brave new world of liberalism.

whitehall

Like what?

What the "chilling scenarios" you believe will follow ... ?

BUT, thanks very much for admitting that RWs are against equality and Constitutional rights.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this.

So what you are saying is you can't think of any reason why polygamous marriages should not be legal?
I am saying I can't see the anti-polygamy laws surviving this Supreme Court, after the gay marriage ruling.

Why?

How do you think the Obergefell v. Hodges decision would apply to polygamy? Be specific.
If the 14th A means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless then there is no argument against anything that calls itself marriage. Love is love.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this.

So what you are saying is you can't think of any reason why polygamous marriages should not be legal?
I am saying I can't see the anti-polygamy laws surviving this Supreme Court, after the gay marriage ruling.

Why?

How do you think the Obergefell v. Hodges decision would apply to polygamy? Be specific.
If the 14th A means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless then there is no argument against anything that calls itself marriage. Love is love.
That made absolutely no sense.

I know the antigay marriage crowd says the slippery slope will lead to adults marrying children, but if you now the case law on children consent, you know that it won't go there. Minors don't have the mental capacity to consent to such a relationship. But I digress.

Polygamy is getting challenged as we say and I have no doubt it will be legalized fairly soon. Should it be? Do you have an issue with it? No doubt there will soon be mail order 2nd wives from Easter Europe starting soon.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this. So is America ready for polygamy? Personally I wouldn't mind a 2nd 20 something wife!:dance:
Yeah ask your wife about that one.
Yes we will get age of consent issues. In Europe age of consent is about 16, maybe younger in some places. There will be a push to lower it.
No, there are no restrictions on marriage that can stand scrutiny given the Court's assertion that all that matter is you love someone. Love is love.

The "age of consent" in the US is already 16 in 31 states.
I bet they're all the red states. The same states that were the last to segregate. The same ones that were the last to allow inerracial marriage, and probably all of the confederacy is represented

For the most part you're right, but there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.
You mean tha they have some non confederate states?

I know the antigay marriage crowd says the slippery slope will lead to adults marrying children, but if you now the case law on children consent, you know that it won't go there. Minors don't have the mental capacity to consent to such a relationship. But I digress.

Polygamy is getting challenged as we say and I have no doubt it will be legalized fairly soon. Should it be? Do you have an issue with it? No doubt there will soon be mail order 2nd wives from Easter Europe starting soon.

I don't see how with the gay marriage supreme court ruling that the courts can deny this. So is America ready for polygamy? Personally I wouldn't mind a 2nd 20 something wife!:dance:
Yes we will get age of consent issues. In Europe age of consent is about 16, maybe younger in some places. There will be a push to lower it.
No, there are no restrictions on marriage that can stand scrutiny given the Court's assertion that all that matter is you love someone. Love is love.

The "age of consent" in the US is already 16 in 31 states.
I bet they're all the red states. The same states that were the last to segregate. The same ones that were the last to allow inerracial marriage, and probably all of the confederacy is represented

For the most part you're right, but there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.
You mean tha they have some non confederate states?

And some "Confederate" states have ages of consent of 17 or 18.

Why?

The SCOTUS ruling does not include the statement "The 14 Amendment means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless".

Please link this statement to its source if you can: "The 14 Amendment means every person is entitled to the benefits of every other person regardless".

Why do religious conservatives object to the right of Muslims to practice polygamy when it's blessed by the Koran?
Because they, the far right Christians, no longer can. Many Mormon Christians are still pissed about it.

Why do religious conservatives object to the right of Muslims to practice polygamy when it's blessed by the Koran?
Because they, the far right Christians, no longer can. Many Mormon Christians are still pissed about it.

The Mormon line is apparently that polygamy was a sacred tenet until it was going to prevent Utah from becoming a state, then suddenly 'God' changed his mind.

God works in mysterious ways.

Legalized prostitution is next.

There are a lot of women that want to work but can't find good paying jobs!!:booze:

I think men and women should be free to use their best assets to earn a living, get rich...

If prostitution is legal, you don't even have to be concerned about going into a "bad" area to do business or worry anymore about getting rolled by a hooker/gigolo than you would by going to a stock broker or insurance salesman's office.

But back to the subject of the thread - why would anyone care that a woman has the ability to support multiple partners or-----or that a man has the ability to support multiple partners? And I have to say anyone that thinks marriage is all about the sex - I feel very-very sorry for you.

My wife and I are retired now but as our careers kept us busier and busier, we joked about needing a wife to deal with our house, yard, laundry, household bills, remind us of our social schedule... So we hired a cleaning service which wasn't even close to taking care of all the household stuff that needed to be taken care of - we needed a wife.

When one of cleaning service ladies' husband graduated from college in Brazil, he was recruited by Microsoft to be a software architect and interpreter. They had a daughter, bought a half million dollar house and a Mercedes. Then he died suddenly leaving his wife and six year old daughter with enough to get by for about a year or so. Even though our cleaning lady has a degree in language and fluently speaks five languages, the best job she could find was working for a cleaning service. My wife didn't know her deceased husband but knew people at Microsoft that did know her husband. After consulting me, my wife proposed our cleaning lady move into our house to become our "wife". She gets a kick out of telling people she's my other wife but I introduce her as our maid -- I miss her.

The daughter scored several scholarships and accepted a scholarship at a prestigious university, best known for their law school. The daughter moved onto campus several years ago and will get her JD nest May - her Mom, my "other wife" left to get an apartment off campus where the daughter and my "other wife" are currently living, just off campus - it was a good 12 years, no sex was involved - I really do feel sorry for anyone who thinks this kind of great relationship is about sex with a 20 year old mail order Russian bride.

Someone else's Polygamy doesn't impact me, I really don't care what other people do if it doesn't impact me - why would I?

It's their right under the 14th amendment just like the SCOTUS said.

They were born that way, it is natural. Most mammals herd.

Not only Europe.

State-by-State Marriage Age of Consent Laws - FindLaw

Forum List

Back