poll: where do you fit in politically?

where do you fit in?

• Total voters
David Stockman was on Bill Moyer's show last week. If any of you remember, he was Reagan's budget director. He is spot on. What he said has nothing to do with right, left or center.

"DAVID STOCKMAN: Crony capitalism is about the aggressive and proactive use of political resources, lobbying, campaign contributions, influence-peddling of one type or another to gain something from the governmental process that wouldn't otherwise be achievable in the market. And as the time has progressed over the last two or three decades, I think it's gotten much worse. Money dominates politics."

Fiscal conservative, social and political Libertarian. Where would THAT mix fit into your chart?

That pretty accurately describes me as well.

what's a political libertarian?

For me, it is someone that truly does want a small government and as little intrusion in personal life as possible. For instance, gay marriage - as long as there is marriage in the government I cannot see a good argument to stop the gays from utilizing the system. Not a concept the 'right' can normally accept. Smoking, drugs, abortion (within the first trimester) and a host of other things I believe should be legal that the right simply cannot accept. I can call myself liberal though either because I also do not believe in the forced morality/society and all the asinine restrictions that seems to dominate the left.

It boils down to a single concept: I belive in freedom as long as it does not intrude on the freedoms of others.

I think there are really very few people who favor all the so called liberal or conservative views. I know liberals with conservative views on the economy but with liberal views on social issues. My neighbor considers himself a true conservative, but is in favors gay marriage. Political pundits like put labels on us, but the fact is we are all different.

I consider myself to be far left, and I see I'm the only one who's voted for that so far.

But I'm fairly certain my definition of "far left" is going to be pretty different from yours.

I belong to no party but consider myself a radical Progressive= do whats pragmatic/practical regardless of the howling institutions manned by morality police.

Get the $ out of politics and ban any former members from serving on boards of corp's that their votes helped gain advantage, bar former pols from lobbying, etc...

I consider myself to be far left, and I see I'm the only one who's voted for that so far.

But I'm fairly certain my definition of "far left" is going to be pretty different from yours.

I belong to no party but consider myself a radical Progressive= do whats pragmatic/practical regardless of the howling institutions manned by morality police.

Get the $ out of politics and ban any former members from serving on boards of corp's that their votes helped gain advantage, bar former pols from lobbying, etc...

I don't think you can get the cash out of politics but to the second stipulation... you're in the right direction but not far enough.

I am for retiring any congressman, senator or the president at their FULL rate of pay after they have left service (even if that was just 2 short years) but making it illegal for them to ever earn any money from any other source whatsoever. Period. No stocks, jobs, businesses - nothing. Sure, that's a lot of money for salaries of many people that will no longer be serving but it is the best way that I can see in limiting the influence money and bribes have on officeholders.

I have no idea how a classical liberal like myself would fit into those options.

Or pragmatists who reject dogma and ideology altogether.

Interesting, only 3 lefties on the board eh?

Guess I've been arguing with myself all these months.

Then you’re not very astute, nor do you have much of an understanding of the manifold nuances that exist in American politics.

That one rejects conservative dogma doesn’t mean he is ‘left’ or ‘liberal.’

I consider myself centrist on social issues, right on fiscal and defense issues and left on economic issues.

Which just goes to show that terms like "left and right" really don't mean anything anymore.

When you have Ann Coulter trying to claim that RomneyCare is "Conservative" and ObamaCare is "Liberal", when they are the exact same thing, the whole definitions of "left" and "right" have become meaningless at this point.

When you have Ann Coulter trying to claim that RomneyCare is "Conservative" and ObamaCare is "Liberal", when they are the exact same thing, the whole definitions of "left" and "right" have become meaningless at this point.

Yup. Those who have chosen to commit to a rightwing or leftwing ideology have zero credibility. I have no doubt that having to employ spin, hyperbole, diversion, distortion and outright lies with such regularity must burn a lot of energy - why can't they use that energy to think issues through and challenge themselves a bit?

My guess the answer involves self esteem and intellectual laziness, but that's just a guess.

That's right citizens...form up into opposing teams like good little tools.

Your masters are all so proud of what good little fools they've made of most of you

Remember, now kiddies: hate your neighbors.

That's really all that your masters want from you.

You guys just hate each other, and they'll take care of everything else.

Last edited:
poll: where do you fit in politically?

Gee.....after all this time....I've been given the impression that (you) Teabaggers (somehow, "magically") KNEW what everyone (else) was thinking....and, where they "fit"!!

300.gif

who would really pick out if i to be far right today, and far left the tommorrow anyways....~S~

Your masters are all so proud of what good little fools they've made of most of you

Bingo!

Why I said all of the above on the poll choices.
It depends on the issue at hand for me.
No group fits me well so I belong to no groups.

Pointless stupid response. The only one talking about hate is you. Like it or not, everyone fits into these catagories somewhere even if they refuse to believe it. And they are not groups with group think as you assert otherwise i wouldnt have so many arguments with others who are also like minded on many issues.
But hey, i know its cool to appear to be above the fray so carry on.....

I think there are really very few people who favor all the so called liberal or conservative views. I know liberals with conservative views on the economy but with liberal views on social issues. My neighbor considers himself a true conservative, but is in favors gay marriage. Political pundits like put labels on us, but the fact is we are all different.

Many conservators favor gay marriage or at least don't care one way or the other about it. Or abortion. Or religion. Social issues are not what defines liberals or conservatives. Who holds the power defines liberals and conservatives.

In modern American vernacular

If you think the government should secure our rights and then leave us alone to live our lives as best we can and/or form whatever sort of society we wish to have wherever we are, you are conservative. (Such a concept automatically takes care of an overreaching and over spending government and retains the Founders intent of individual freedom, responsibility, accountability and self governance.)

If you think the government should have the power to allocate resources and should require everybody to accept the same socioeconomic standards, you are liberal. (Such a concept reverts to the European monarchal or authoritarian government models in which government determines what rights the people will and will not have.)

I guess I would be center right. Right on economics, foreign policy, entitlements, regulation, taxation, etc. A little more left on gay rights, abortion, and a couple other social issues.

Forum List

Back