Political/Legal Discussion: Is this Treason or just Bribery?

Sounds more like extortion to me. But in order for it to rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanor, it has to be shown that the investigator was closing in on Hunter Biden and protecting Hunter and his unexplainable extremely lucrative deal on the Burisma Board of Directors, most especially when it was quid pro quo to get access to the White house. I don't know that this long after the fact that the evidence is there.
Thank you for this reasonable response---and you may be right---I am no Criminal Law Attorney.

But, I disagree. If Joe did what it very much appears he did--it was not to protect Hunter; it was to earn the money that Hunter was being paid. Bribery. I do know the Bribery laws can apply when the consideration (the Money) is paid to a family member, not yourself----because that's what naturally would happen when you are being bribed.

"Just weeks before then-Vice President Joe Biden took the opposite action in late 2015, a task force of State, Treasury and Justice Department officials declared that Ukraine had made adequate progress on anti-corruption reforms and deserved a new $1 billion U.S. loan guarantee, according to government memos that conflict with the narrative Democrats have sustained since the 2019 impeachment scandal."
The recommendation...directly conflict{s} with the long-held narrative that Biden was conducting official U.S. policy when he threatened to withhold a $1 billion U.S. loan guarantee to force Ukraine to fire Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin, the country’s equivalent of the American attorney general.
"At the time the threat was made in December 2015, Shokin’s office was conducting an increasingly aggressive corruption investigation into Burisma Holdings, an energy firm the State Department deemed to have been engaged in bribery and that employed Hunter Biden and paid him millions while his father was vice president."
At the time Shokin was investigating Burisma for corruption, the company was paying Hunter Biden and Archer, $83,333 a month as board members.

“I said, ‘You’re not getting the billion.’ I’m going to be leaving here in, I think it was about six hours. I looked at them and said: ‘I’m leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you’re not getting the money,’” Biden recounted in the speech to the Council on Foreign Relations. “Well, son of a bitch, he got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time.”

Where your bullshit narrative falls apart is that Shokin WASN'T investigating Burisma. And that was the reason he was fired. He was supposed to be investigating Burisma but he was not completing any of the investigations assigned.

Thank you for this reasonable response---and you may be right---I am no Criminal Law Attorney.

But, I disagree. If Joe did what it very much appears he did--it was not to protect Hunter; it was to earn the money that Hunter was being paid. Bribery. I do know the Bribery laws can apply when the consideration (the Money) is paid to a family member, not yourself----because that's what naturally would happen when you are being bribed.
Maybe. I can see how it is bribery, but extortion for profit is also a high crime and misdemeanor.

But he had to protect Hunter to keep him in the money pipeline that they both probably benefitted from. The rub comes when it is time to prove it beyond reasonable doubt using actual evidence rather than just observation and common sense. :)

The deep state whether in the Ukraine or the USA is hidden, fluid, dishonest, corrupt, ambitious, smart and they're pretty good at burying the figurative 'bodies' where nobody is likely to find them. When the Department of Justice or IRS or other agencies with power to indict and confiscate property or jail people are party to all that, it makes it doubly hard to come up with evidence beyond all reasonable doubt.

Where your bullshit narrative falls apart is that Shokin WASN'T investigating Burisma. And that was the reason he was fired. He was supposed to be investigating Burisma but he was not completing any of the investigations assigned.
"Shokin WASN'T investigating Burisma."

Show evidence. Shokin says the opposite. Don't just call bullshit like we are on an elementary school playground. Refute the article. Maybe go even further and explain why you think Burisma might have decided to pay a crackhead an huge amount of money for any other reason than his father was VP who had been given the Ukraine Portfolio.

You see, the people who provide this board expect, and have a right to expect---reasonable debate, which would include something to back up what you say. The John Solomon article is the post. Do you have anything at all to to back up your claim that it is Bullshit?

Sounds more like extortion to me. But in order for it to rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanor, it has to be shown that the investigator was closing in on Hunter Biden and protecting Hunter and his unexplainable extremely lucrative deal on the Burisma Board of Directors, most especially when it was quid pro quo to get access to the White house. I don't know that this long after the fact that the evidence is there.

The investigator wasn't closing in on anybody, and the Ukrainains were very open that the crimes being investigated were committed before HB was hired. He was not being investigated. So the whole narrative that firing Shokin was all about HB is completely false.

Biden's job with Burisma really isn't all that inexplicable. With the fall of the Soviet Empire, there were a lot of FSU nation trying to establish trading relationships with the western democracies. The lawyer I worked for in the early 1990's was trying to do business in several Warsaw Pact countries, but the business owners were just clueless to deal with.

We bought several containers of wine for one of our clients, to be imported from Czekoslovakia, and bottled in Canada for the North American market. We had the wine tested and approved by the regulatory authorities, arranged for bottling, had art done for the labels, and when we asked when the shipment would be arriving, we were told they sold it to someone else who offered 5 cents more per litre. They didn't understand that having signed a contract, they couldn't just sell it to someone else.

Burisma wanted to expand into western markets, but

"Shokin WASN'T investigating Burisma."

Show evidence. Shokin says the opposite. Don't just call bullshit like we are on an elementary school playground. Refute the article. Maybe go even further and explain why you think Burisma might have decided to pay a crackhead an huge amount of money for any other reason than his father was VP who had been given the Ukraine Portfolio.

You see, the people who provide this board expect, and have a right to expect---reasonable debate, which would include something to back up what you say. The John Solomon article is the post. Do you have anything at all to to back up your claim that it is Bullshit?

I have posted those links multiple times over the last couple of days, and I’ve even provided explanations as to why Burisma hired Hunter Biden to help ease them into Western markets because they knew nothing about Western corporate governance. But the guy with the Yale law degree, former Deputy Director of the US Department of Commerce, who has sat on multiple NGO and private firm boards, would be able to help them with that.

It's actually Bribery, an explicitly enumerated crime in the impeachment clause. And it actually doesn't have to be shown that Shokin was closing in on Hunter. Burisma thought Shokin was after them and asked Hunter/Joe to do something about it.

As these docs show Joe went rogue and changed US policy to leverage the US aid to get Shokin fired.

The FBI 1023 further indicates that Hunter and Joe were each paid $5M for Shokin's firing, in addition to the $83K/month Hunter was being paid.

It's actually Bribery, an explicitly enumerated crime in the impeachment clause. And it actually doesn't have to be shown that Shokin was closing in on Hunter. Burisma thought Shokin was after them and asked Hunter/Joe to do something about it.

As these docs show Joe went rogue and changed US policy to leverage the US aid to get Shokin fired.

The FBI 1023 further indicates that Hunter and Joe were each paid $5M for Shokin's firing, in addition to the $83K/month Hunter was being paid.
"....bribery clearly took place: The Biden family was paid in exchange for explicit favors done by then Vice President Joe Biden for a foreign entity.

“This is a clear violation of the law. This is criminal conduct that’s occurring. This is a direct bribe. It’s a quid pro quo,” Schweizer says. “The bottom line is, it doesn’t matter if you ever demonstrate that a single penny went to Joe Biden, because bribery can mean paying off your family. If a politician’s family gets paid and the politician performs a service for that, it’s a bribe in the same way."

It's just a matter of semantics really. If Biden says pay me and I'll do whatever for you, that's bribery. If Biden threatens to withhold $1B unless you do whatever for me personally, that's extortion. But whichever, it would rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors if the purpose was to profit oneself or ones family etc. personally.

Trump got a lot accomplished by telling this or that world leader that you do this or I'll do that. But it was never for personal profit but to achieve some value to our country. That is not at all illegal.

So was Shokin investigating Burisma? Most sources--at least those Google will allow us to see--say no. Without proof that they were, that argument simply won't fly as bribery or extortion no matter what the facts actually are.

Last edited:
It's just a matter of semantics really. If Biden says pay me and I'll do whatever for you, that's bribery. If Biden threatens to withhold $1B unless you do whatever for me personally, that's extortion. But whichever, it would rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors if the purpose was to profit oneself or ones family etc. personally.

I see what you are saying. You're right - it was actually two crimes - Bribery with respect to Burisma and extortion with respect to Ukraine.
Trump got a lot accomplished by telling this or that world leader that you did this or I'll do that. But it was never for personal profit but to achieve some value to our country. That is not at all illegal.

So was Shokin investigating Burisma? Most sources--at least those Google will allow us to see--say no. Without proof that they were, that argument simply won't fly as bribery or extortion no matter what the facts actually are.
Again, it doesn't matter whether or not Shokin was investigating them, Burisma though he was and they paid the Bidens to get him fired. That's bribery.

I see what you are saying. You're right - it was actually two crimes - Bribery with respect to Burisma and extortion with respect to Ukraine.

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not Shokin was investigating them, Burisma though he was and they paid the Bidens to get him fired. That's bribery.
You may be right but again, I cannot find any credible source that confirms that beyond a reasonable doubt. So I'm waiting to see if the investigations in progress turn up something and if not, we'll just have to speculate but we can't prove anything.

You may be right but again, I cannot find any credible source that confirms that beyond a reasonable doubt. So I'm waiting to see if the investigations in progress turn up something and if not, we'll just have to speculate but we can't prove anything.
We can prove at least $20M going to members of the Biden family. We can prove Burisma asked Hunter to call DC to do something about Shokin. We can prove Joe when to the Ukraine 4 days later and did his extortion thing to get Shokin fired. We can prove it was not US policy to get Shokin fired We can prove that State OK'ed the $1b without any strings and Joe went rogue. We can prove the Ambassador wrote back to state that having Hunter at Burisma was complicating US policy in Ukraine

Enough to get a criminal conviction? Perhaps. Enough to impeach Joe Biden - no question.

We can prove at least $20M going to members of the Biden family. We can prove Burisma asked Hunter to call DC to do something about Shokin. We can prove Joe when to the Ukraine 4 days later and did his extortion thing to get Shokin fired. We can prove it was not US policy to get Shokin fired We can prove that State OK'ed the $1b without any strings and Joe went rogue. We can prove the Ambassador wrote back to state that having Hunter at Burisma was complicating US policy in Ukraine

Enough to get a criminal conviction? Perhaps. Enough to impeach Joe Biden - no question.
Maybe. But Burisma asking Hunter to intervene for them is not a crime. It only becomes a crime if you can prove the Biden unethically or illegally used his title/office to do something that benefitted Hunter or himself. I don't know there's evidence for that. An accusation is not evidence most especially when it is made by a politically motivated person or persons.

I want hard evidence before I will unequivocally pronounce somebody guilty. Having contempt for a person or rumors or propaganda or wanting something to be true just isn't enough. I want MAGAs/Patriots/Republicans/the good guys to not fall prey to group think but to always look for the verifiable facts.

I do hope investigators, both professional and amateur, keep digging and keep the pressure on though because we no longer have a media we can count on to do that.

Maybe. But Burisma asking Hunter to intervene for them is not a crime. It only becomes a crime if you can prove the Biden unethically or illegally used his title/office to do something that benefitted Hunter or himself. I don't know there's evidence for that. An accusation is not evidence most especially when it is made by a politically motivated person or persons.

I want hard evidence before I will unequivocally pronounce somebody guilty. Having contempt for a person or rumors or propaganda or wanting something to be true just isn't enough. I want MAGAs/Patriots/Republicans/the good guys to not fall prey to group think but to always look for the verifiable facts.

I do hope investigators, both professional and amateur, keep digging and keep the pressure on though because we no longer have a media we can count on to do that.
Not sure what more you need. Hundreds of people have been convicted of murder without any body.

Not sure what more you need. Hundreds of people have been convicted of murder without any body.
I guess I'm just a bit jaded and thus overly cautious Rawley. There is so much disinformation put out there from both sides these days, I choose not to be too quick to believe anything.

I'm not at all saying you're engaging in that. But I don't want to be guilty of group think myself either.

Too many times we've been told that 'we've got him this time' regarding some political figure we believe to be corrupt or that we intensely dislike only to have the fact checkers blow up the evidence. Too many times the document or other 'evidence posted on line has turned out to be wholly fabricated. There are too many maliciously photoshopped photos out there, too many memes featuring quotes the person never said, etc.

Then again who is checking the fact checkers? Time and again I've seen them say there is no evidence for this or that only to have credible media say that there is.

So in the interest of not bearing false witness I am super cautious in what I decide is credible evidence and fact. And we're doubly at a disadvantage in that most of us cannot investigate on our own but are wholly dependent on what others tell us is or is not true.

Having said that do I believe Biden is corrupt? Yes. I think there is ample evidence now to believe that. Is he guilty of an impeachable offense? That one I'm a bit more cautious about.

Was Bill Clinton guilty of real prosecutable crimes? Yes he was as confirmed by the New York court that held him in contempt, the Arkansas Bar that disbarred him, the SCOTUS that revoked his privileges to argue before the high court.

Did those crimes rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors? I had to agree with the Senate that they did not. But at least he was impeached for real crimes as opposed to manufactured ones in the case of Trump.

These are not easy issues to sort out and know exactly what is and is not true.

"Just weeks before then-Vice President Joe Biden took the opposite action in late 2015, a task force of State, Treasury and Justice Department officials declared that Ukraine had made adequate progress on anti-corruption reforms and deserved a new $1 billion U.S. loan guarantee, according to government memos that conflict with the narrative Democrats have sustained since the 2019 impeachment scandal."
The recommendation...directly conflict{s} with the long-held narrative that Biden was conducting official U.S. policy when he threatened to withhold a $1 billion U.S. loan guarantee to force Ukraine to fire Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin, the country’s equivalent of the American attorney general.
"At the time the threat was made in December 2015, Shokin’s office was conducting an increasingly aggressive corruption investigation into Burisma Holdings, an energy firm the State Department deemed to have been engaged in bribery and that employed Hunter Biden and paid him millions while his father was vice president."
At the time Shokin was investigating Burisma for corruption, the company was paying Hunter Biden and Archer, $83,333 a month as board members.

“I said, ‘You’re not getting the billion.’ I’m going to be leaving here in, I think it was about six hours. I looked at them and said: ‘I’m leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you’re not getting the money,’” Biden recounted in the speech to the Council on Foreign Relations. “Well, son of a bitch, he got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time.”

There is a pervasive pattern of behavior of Joe using either his office, or the perks of his office for the benefit of his immediate family. Simply flying Hunter to China on Air Force 2 gives a clear indication to the Chinese that Hunter is operating with Joe’s approval. Things like that happened over and over again, shell companies that do nothing but shuffle money around to obscure its source without producing anything to justify the presence of the money in the first place. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action and the Bidens are well into double digits of suspicious activities over recent years.

I mean, come on man!

Forum List

Back