pitbull almost dies saving owner from train tracks

^You will notice that the media will always report a fatal pit bull attack, but they never seem to report an attack by any other breed of dog. Hearing about pit bull attacks day after day makes people assume that they are dangerous, when they are just as dangerous as any other breed.

That is a false statement.

I stand by it.

Stand by it, lay by it, kneel by it...it is still a false statement.

If a person is mauled by a dog, it will make the news...why? Because it IS news. The 'media' is not going to report 'Joey the paper boy was bit by a dog yesterday', but if Joey the paper boy is mauled or killed by a dog, it will and SHOULD be reported. It doesn't matter what breed the dog is, it will be news.

The fact that the majority of mauling cases and fatalities involve more pit bulls than any other breed SHOULD serve as a warning to everyone. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way like I did.

That is a false statement.

I stand by it.

If a person is mauled by a dog, it will make the news...why? Because it IS news. The 'media' is not going to report 'Joey the paper boy was bit by a dog yesterday', but if Joey the paper boy is mauled or killed by a dog, it will and SHOULD be reported. It doesn't matter what breed the dog is, it will be news.

The fact that the majority of mauling cases and fatalities involve more pit bulls than any other breed SHOULD serve as a warning to everyone. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way like I did.

Pit bull attacks make front page news, other dog attacks make a byline on page 4.

I stand by it.

Pit bull attacks make front page news, other dog attacks make a byline on page 4.

Another false statement. When a dog attack results in a human death, or severe and egregious injury, it will make the front page, even if the dog is a Chihuahua.

Another false statement. When a dog attack results in a human death, or severe and egregious injury, it will make the front page, even if the dog is a Chihuahua.

Maybe in your country.

Maybe in your country.

I doubt the country is relevant. What is relevant NEWS is the severity of the injuries. If you can offer any proof, other than what you 'feel', let's see it?

Pitbulls are just dogs like any other dog'

They are wonderful and loyal friends

Pit bull owners often say that the dog is not dangerous, and most of the time they are correct. Pit bulls have not been proved to bite people more often than other dogs bite people. Nevertheless, the pregnant woman who recently was mauled to death by one of her own pit bulls belonged to a group which was campaigning to convince people that pit bulls are not dangerous. The name of that group was "Dog Lovers Responsible about Pit Bulls." Her dog bit her dozens of times in her body and face, killing her and her unborn child. (Read the article.)

The question we must ask ourselves is whether the risk of this being repeated is worth taking. When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed. Although the appalling lack of statistics cannot reliably tell us the number of victims from this breed of dog, the news reports as well as an important recent study confirm that attacks by pit bulls result in far greater injuries, hospitalizations and medical costs that attacks by other dogs. In recent years, most human fatalities, if caused by a dog, were inflicted by pit bulls.

Pit Bulls: Risks and Solutions

Did you read the abstract on your lawyers blog thingy ?

Pit bull owners often say that the dog is not dangerous, and most of the time they are correct. Pit bulls have not been proved to bite people more often than other dogs bite people.
The Deadliest Animals In the United States | Outside Magazine's Articles | OutsideOnline.com

Looks like we should ban hoofed critters. They killed more people in this country then humans did.

They are also the worst offenders of dog mauling people and the single most vicious breed animal care and control has to deal with.

I think that depends on who you talk to. When I had my cubscout den, I invited the Humane Society to come out and talk to my boys after a local boy had been attacked by a pit bull. Do you know what we were told was the dog most likely to bite? Think Lady, of Lady and the Tramp. Apparently cocker spaniels have the worst record for biting people.

There's a family down the road with a pit bull and it's one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met. They also have a Pekinese. The pit bull is friendlier.

I don't think it's the breed of dog so much as it's owner and trainer.

Maybe in your country.

I doubt the country is relevant. What is relevant NEWS is the severity of the injuries. If you can offer any proof, other than what you 'feel', let's see it?

Someone could get a scratch from a pit bull and the media would be all over it. You know it.

Maybe in your country.

Someone could get a scratch from a pit bull and the media would be all over it. You know it.

it will also get counted in the dog bite stats thees guys keep beating on.

The breeds most likely to kill

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed

>>>>

Maybe we should just ban all dogs?

Pit bull owners often say that the dog is not dangerous, and most of the time they are correct. Pit bulls have not been proved to bite people more often than other dogs bite people. Nevertheless, the pregnant woman who recently was mauled to death by one of her own pit bulls belonged to a group which was campaigning to convince people that pit bulls are not dangerous. The name of that group was "Dog Lovers Responsible about Pit Bulls." Her dog bit her dozens of times in her body and face, killing her and her unborn child. (Read the article.)

The question we must ask ourselves is whether the risk of this being repeated is worth taking. When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed. Although the appalling lack of statistics cannot reliably tell us the number of victims from this breed of dog, the news reports as well as an important recent study confirm that attacks by pit bulls result in far greater injuries, hospitalizations and medical costs that attacks by other dogs. In recent years, most human fatalities, if caused by a dog, were inflicted by pit bulls.

Pit bull owners often say that the dog is not dangerous, and most of the time they are correct. Pit bulls have not been proved to bite people more often than other dogs bite people.
The Deadliest Animals In the United States | Outside Magazine's Articles | OutsideOnline.com

Looks like we should ban hoofed critters. They killed more people in this country then humans did.

Did you read the FACT thingy?

When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed.

BTW, I never knew cats were hoofed animals

The breeds most likely to kill

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed

>>>>

Maybe we should just ban all dogs?

Why are you being disingenuous? You selectively edited the article you posted from.

It starts out with:

In recent years, the dogs responsible for the bulk of the homicides are pit bulls and Rottweilers

Bull.

The traditional approach to dangerous dog legislation is to allow “one free bite,” at which point the owner is warned. On second bite, the dog is killed. The traditional approach, however, patently does not apply in addressing the threats from pit bull terriers, Rottweilers, and wolf hybrids. In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Children and elderly people were almost always the victims.

After my pit bull/lab mix tore me apart trying to kill me, my wife called 911. The firemen, the EMT's who answered the call and the hospital personnel are bound by law to record that my injuries were caused by a dog bite.

The town animal control officer showed up at my house shortly after the firemen and the EMT's. I didn't call him, they did. The animal control officer explained to me the next day (he was nice enough to call and see how I was doing) that when an animal attack occurs with severe and/or life threatening injuries, that animal is considered an enemy of the state. If we has insisted on keeping the animal, he would have returned with a court order. The dog would have to be quarantined, tested for rabies and locked up. For us to keep the dog would have been almost impossible. And if a judge were willing to allow us to keep him, it would have been with such strict restraints like a 360 degree chain linked cage whenever the dog is outside and frequent visits from police and dog control officers to monitor the dog, it would have been a nightmare.

The other FACT all you pit bull defenders forget is actuarial risk. That is what insurance companies use to determine first 'IF' they will even offer a policy and if they will, what the premium will be set at. So having a pit bull could mean that you will not be able to get homeowners insurance, or you will pay a punitively high premium

Did you read the FACT thingy?

When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed.

BTW, I never knew cats were hoofed animals

No hard facts will back that at all. A pit bull, and all the other K-9's that get lumped into that category posses ant special killing ability. An I can see that you did not read the abstract, s guess you are pushing the lie side considering the guys at the blog you linked even admitted this fact here-

And cats were not the only murdering furry critter in the list, did you see how many folks were killed by deer ? when a cat has a bad day someone can get hurt, when a deer has a bad day people die. We should ban them.

Bull.

The traditional approach to dangerous dog legislation is to allow “one free bite,” at which point the owner is warned. On second bite, the dog is killed. The traditional approach, however, patently does not apply in addressing the threats from pit bull terriers, Rottweilers, and wolf hybrids. In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Children and elderly people were almost always the victims.

After my pit bull/lab mix tore me apart trying to kill me, my wife called 911. The firemen, the EMT's who answered the call and the hospital personnel are bound by law to record that my injuries were caused by a dog bite.

The town animal control officer showed up at my house shortly after the firemen and the EMT's. I didn't call him, they did. The animal control officer explained to me the next day (he was nice enough to call and see how I was doing) that when an animal attack occurs with severe and/or life threatening injuries, that animal is considered an enemy of the state. If we has insisted on keeping the animal, he would have returned with a court order. The dog would have to be quarantined, tested for rabies and locked up. For us to keep the dog would have been almost impossible. And if a judge were willing to allow us to keep him, it would have been with such strict restraints like a 360 degree chain linked cage whenever the dog is outside and frequent visits from police and dog control officers to monitor the dog, it would have been a nightmare.

The other FACT all you pit bull defenders forget is actuarial risk. That is what insurance companies use to determine first 'IF' they will even offer a policy and if they will, what the premium will be set at. So having a pit bull could mean that you will not be able to get homeowners insurance, or you will pay a punitively high premium

most likely you got more dog then you could handle and had it killed. Its very typical . And the way you put it may be that way in your town, city, county,state, but not nation wide. As for insurance, I have never had an issue. the last part is all in your head or its a local renters thing.

No hard facts will back that at all. A pit bull, and all the other K-9's that get lumped into that category posses ant special killing ability. An I can see that you did not read the abstract, s guess you are pushing the lie side considering the guys at the blog you linked even admitted this fact here-

And cats were not the only murdering furry critter in the list, did you see how many folks were killed by deer ? when a cat has a bad day someone can get hurt, when a deer has a bad day people die. We should ban them.

You make no sense. Deer are not pets, and deer DO HAVE hoofs.

You also willfully keep ignoring the facts. The most important information citizens need to be aware of is that any dog can bite you, but a pit bull doesn't just bite you, a pit bull attacks you.

The attack pattern of pit bulls is different from that of other dogs. With other dogs, children are usually at highest risk of being bitten. In contrast, pit bulls seem to attack adults almost as frequently as they attack children. Pit bulls not only are notorious for their indiscriminate attack pattern but also are well known for the tenacity with which they continue with an attack.

The inbred tenacity of pit bulls, the unrelenting manner in which they initiate and continue their attacks, and the damage they cause are the result of both genetics and environment. Therefore, this breed of dog is inherently dangerous.

Forum List

Back