Pit bulls are real chick magnets

That's cute.

Brother of a friend of mine owns two pit bulls.

He dearly loves these two beasts.

And he was terrible unhappy when, for whatever reason, these two sibling pitbulls decided they hated one another. (he's had them both at the vets to deal with the injuries they'd inflicted on each other in 2008)

So, last week when he was attempting to separate these two beasts who were tearing each other apart, one of them ACCIDENTLY bit through his hand.

I don't keep pit bulls in my house for much the same reason I don't keep dynamite in my house.

Even though I do not think dynamite hates me, I still think keeping things which are capable of killing me, and things which have a history -- a well documented history -- of killing their owners and their children or injuring them terribly, out of my life.

I just don't want to find myself in a position where I am forced to put down a beast that I would undoubtably love, just because it made a mistake.

Sadly, that tragic tale too often happens to pit bull owners.

If you need a chick magnet, find one that can't kill you.

Last edited:
That's cute.

And he was terrible unhappy when, for whatever reason, these two sibling pitbulls decided they hated one another. (he's had them both at the vets to deal with the injuries they'd inflicted on each other in 2008)

So, last week when he was attempting to separate these two beasts who were tearing each other apart, one of them ACCIDENTLY bit through his hand.
I don't keep pit bulls in my house for much the same reason I don't keep dynamite in my house.

Even though I do not think dynamite hates me, I still think keeping things which are capable of killing me, and things which have a history -- a well documented history -- of killing their owners and their children or injuring them terribly, out of my life.

I just don't want to find myself in a position where I am forced to put down a beast that I would undoubtably love, just because it made a mistake.

i attempted to break up a dobie and a boxer by inserting my hand into the fray to grab a collar.....the doctor said i was lucky to have a arm much less a hand left...people rarely notice the scars anymore....but that was my bad not the dogs

and may i ask...how fucking stupid does one have to be to put their hand in between two pit bulls?

That's cute.

Pit Bulls that are not mistreated or improperly feed are no threat to anyone except strangers that think they can just walk up and pet them. BUT your right, I would not have ever had a pit bull with children in the house.

Ohh as to dogs killing you, hate to break it to you but any midsized or larger dog can easily kill you if it decides it wants to.

I have a staffordshire terrier, they are cousins to the pits. Did you know that both pits and staffies were once referred to as "the nanny dog" in the U.S. and UK? My dog is as gentle as a lamb, and great with kids.

i attempted to break up a dobie and a boxer by inserting my hand into the fray to grab a collar.....the doctor said i was lucky to have a arm much less a hand left...people rarely notice the scars anymore....but that was my bad not the dogs

and may i ask...how fucking stupid does one have to be to put their hand in between two pit bulls?

Stupid in love, I suppose.

Love makes fools of us all, doesn't it?

Pit Bulls that are not mistreated or improperly feed are no threat to anyone except strangers that think they can just walk up and pet them. BUT your right, I would not have ever had a pit bull with children in the house.

Ohh as to dogs killing you, hate to break it to you but any midsized or larger dog can easily kill you if it decides it wants to.

You're not breaking shit to me, lad.

But check out the stats and you'll quickly discover that pit bulls have a very sorry history of attacking their owners or their children that no other breed comes close to having.

Pitt bulls are absolutely lovely dogs until they're not.

And the thing is that pit bulls are extrmely formitable once they latch down on their targets.

For the life of me, given the huge number of equally formitable dogs that are out there, breeds which do not have that history of freaking out and turning on innocent children, I do not understand why any person ever brings one of those into their homes.

Unless they're drug dealers of course.

Seems like every dipshit drug dealer badass wannbe I ever met thought owning a pitt bull made them bad ass.

But they have an excuse...they're fucking idiots.

You're not breaking shit to me, lad.

But check out the stats and you'll quickly discover that pit bulls have a very sorry history of attacking their owners or their children that no other breed comes close to having.

Pitt bulls are absolutely lovely dogs until they're not.

And the thing is that pit bulls are extrmely formitable once they latch down on their targets.

For the life of me, given the huge number of equally formitable dogs that are out there, breeds which do not have that history of freaking out and turning on innocent children, I do not understand why any person ever brings one of those into their homes.

Unless they're drug dealers of course.

Seems like every dipshit drug dealer badass wannbe I ever met thought owning a pitt bull made them bad ass.

But they have an excuse...they're fucking idiots.
I had a pitbull when my children were babes. He was a very sweet dog.

The pitbull we had did once grab the arm and hold it in his mouth of a man who was attempting to hit my three year old son.

The mother dog had refused to feed this pup so he was hand fed from the day he was born. He was one of the easiest dogs I have ever had to train.

I can say I have never been a drug dealer.

Yeah, I know, Rod people like you tell me that all the time, and I fully believe them and you.

I too have known wonderful pit bulls.

Sadly the breed has a bad rep because the breed has a history of killing and terribly maiming people.

We can go around and around on this and it never goes anywhere.

Here are some interesting stats that might help us understand my reluctance about certain breeds of dogs.

Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost
as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are
normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more
often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to
defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking
pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus
the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity
to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.

Rottweilers by contrast show a fairly normal child/adult attack
ratio. They seem to show up disproportionately often in the mauling,
killing, and maiming statistics simply because they are both quite popular
and very powerful, capable of doing a great deal of damage in cases where
bites by other breeds might be relatively harmless.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, Rod people like you tell me that all the time, and I fully believe them and you.

I too have known wonderful pit bulls.

Sadly the breed has a bad rep because the breed has a history of killing and terribly maiming people.

We can go around and around on this and it never goes anywhere.

Here are some interesting stats that might help us understand my reluctance about certain breeds of dogs.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf
It still comes down to the people who are the dog owners. If a person has a dog that is bred to be a certain way then the person has to realize that and train the dog accordingly.

There's absolutely no reason why children shouldn't be allowed around a pit bull. And a pit bull doesn't care if you walk up and pet them, in fact they love it. My neighborhood is full of two things: Pit bulls and children. There has NEVER been a pit bull attack in Northern Williamsburg on a human. If you take a pit bull puppy from under 6 months and you raise it like you would raise any other dog, socialize it among people and other dogs, you will wind up with a normal, sweet, loving, loyal dog. The only behavioral differences in a pit bull than another dog is, #1 that pit bulls are high energy breeds and need exercise... but so do humans and #2 pit bulls are extremely loyal to their pack. If anyone breaks into your home with your children there, you should know that your children will be 100% safe. I socialized my pit when he was 4 months among other dogs, people, took him on crowded streets, etc. I have a neighbor who has a 4 year old girl who loves to pull his tail, try to ride him like a horse, pulls a ball out of his mouth, etc. and he hasn't shown anything but pure joy at the sight of being around someone with as much energy as he has.

If you raise a golden retriever the same way some people raise pitbulls in some shabby areas, golden retrievers will be just as mean and nasty. Consider any puppy as a brand new, high powered computer whose hard drive is completely blank and it's up to you to program it.

It still comes down to the people who are the dog owners. If a person has a dog that is bred to be a certain way then the person has to realize that and train the dog accordingly.

No, it doesn't, Rod.

If that were the case then the statistics would not be so obvious.

Did you happen to look at them?

They're pretty damned clear.

Some breeds of dogs are just not safe to have around.

Now I know that you want to believe its all about people who don't know dogs, or who are idiots who teach them to be vicious, but that theory is not supported by the statistical data about dog tragedies.

No, it doesn't, Rod.

If that were the case then the statistics would not be so obvious.

Did you happen to look at them?

They're pretty damned clear.

Some breeds of dogs are just not safe to have around.

Now I know that you want to believe its all about people who don't know dogs, or who are idiots who teach them to be vicious, but that theory is not supported by the statistical data about dog tragedies.
We would probably always disagree here editec. I have always owned dogs and many that could be considered the vicious type. Fact is many people do not have or take time for their animals. In that you have creatures/dogs that can become bad regardless of the type.

Chows are also known to be a fierce breed. I got one that was three years old and thought to be vicious. So vicious in fact two people that had previously bought her from the breeder took her back promptly to the breeder because she appeared vicious (one buyer could not even get her out of their car once they had her home). She ran wild for three years on his place in the country. He sold his place and did not want to have her put to sleep. He asked me if I would take her.

We built a six foot fence around our house and I took her home to live with us. I learned it was not in as much she was simply vicious. She was very scared of people (as is the chow breed on a whole it is a part of the breeding of these dogs to be warriors).

The dog would also become very timid and growl around children so I was leary about her being around my grandchildren in her later years (we had her for 11 years). when she discovered that the grandchildren were not as scary as she had first thought and they were a constant source of food. She began to follow my grandchildren around when they would visit. I watched her like a hawk when the children were around because I did not want the children biten.

One day she heard one of them crying outside and she was frantic to get outside to check on them. She ran out the door when I opened it to defend the children from whatever it was that made them cry.

It comes down to people should not take home dogs that are bred for fighting, war, gaurding, protection, etc... unless they re willing to take all the time and precautions that is required to care for an teach the dogs to behave. That is the only thing that will eliminate dog bites by these dogs.

We would probably always disagree here editec.

Yeah we probably always will, too.

Looks like we're both dog people, and we both agree that the primary thing about a dog is who trains it, and how it is treated, too.

But the statistics seem fairly clear to me.

Different breeds of dogs do come with different personality characteristics, I think we can probably ALSO agree to that, too, right?

Well some dogs are mpore prone to violence than others, and the Pitt bull, statistically speaking is overwhelmingly the breed most likely to go haywire and cause serious damage to a human being.

Now I do not doubt you can blame that to some extent on the TYPES of idiots who often buy that breed. I know damned I do.

But still, why did they buy that breed instead of another one?

Because, dear heart, that breed is well known for its willingness to attack humans and its ability, if it does to inflict terrible damage, too.

Different breeds of dogs typically have very different personalities types.

There's no denying that to dog lovers cause we all know that's true.

Yeah we probably always will, too.

Looks like we're both dog people, and we both agree that the primary thing about a dog is who trains it, and how it is treated, too.

But the statistics seem fairly clear to me.

Different breeds of dogs do come with different personality characteristics, I think we can probably ALSO agree to that, too, right?

Well some dogs are mpore prone to violence than others, and the Pitt bull, statistically speaking is overwhelmingly the breed most likely to go haywire and cause serious damage to a human being.

Now I do not doubt you can blame that to some extent on the TYPES of idiots who often buy that breed. I know damned I do.

But still, why did they buy that breed instead of another one?

Because, dear heart, that breed is well known for its willingness to attack humans and its ability, if it does to inflict terrible damage, too.

Different breeds of dogs typically have very different personalities types.

There's no denying that to dog lovers cause we all know that's true.
We can agree there are a lot of dumb asses out there in dog land.

Interesting that as I logged on and checked the index the juxtaposition is:

1. This thread
2. The one about women with tattoos

I bet Gunny did that - he's such a funster!

:lol:

I seem to remember something I learned on another messageboard...there was a guy who raised pits there and he said people who had pitbulls who didn't have a "dog stick" were idiots.

I think a dog stick was a slender club or metal rod that could be used to disengage their jaws if necessary.

I will reiterate what has already been said in this, and other, threads. Pitbulls were raised to be fighters and they are.

Well said.

Agreed, except to say the risk of danger with pit bulls and young children together in the same house is the same risk you take with any other breed of dog.

Forum List

Back