Perception of Military Branches

Epic_NG

Rookie
Feb 25, 2011
Washington, DC
I do some work with the National Guard and I just wanted to get an idea of what people think about the Guard and other branches of Military?
They actually came out with an application called EPIC that lets you design your own experience with different missions like communication and relief to give an idea of all the things you would be doing while in the Guard. It helped me realize they do more than just step in to help with flood relief.

So, I'm curious what do you think about the National Guard and if you have time, check out the application I'd like to see if it changes your mind.

In an ever-changing society, it's important to get the word out about things that make transitions as smooth as possible while providing a sense of stability. The United States National Guard is one of those things. With its roots dating back to colonial-era America, before the United States was even formed, the National Guard serves both the state and federal governments. Now, you can connect with the National Guard while connecting to Facebook.

EPIC – Part of the "My National Guard Experience"

EPIC is the second in a series of applications that integrates Facebook Connect, following last year's first dynamic National Guard application, Moments of Pride. In EPIC, you can choose your mission's theme and focus, then mix and remix audio and visuals to create your own personalized music video. EPIC is one of the first applications of its kind to utilize both customization and personalization of sound and video, and after 5 easy steps you can share your National Guard experience with your friends. The National Guard recognizes the impact of social media and its ability to connect with young men and women around the country, and hopes this app will demonstrate what it could be like to be part of the National Guard in an engaging way.

The National Guard

The difference between the Guard and other military branches is that while Guard units are combat-trained and can be deployed overseas, they are just as likely to serve in their home communities — training just one weekend per month, and one two-week period each year.

During local emergencies, Guard units assist residents endangered by storms, floods, fires and other disasters. Guard companies deployed overseas may see combat, but are often found building schools and hospitals, training local peacekeepers or teaching local farmers more efficient techniques and better uses of their land.

The total commitment to the Guard is eight years, serving as little as three years or as many as six years. The remainder of that commitment would be on standby as a member of the Individual Ready Reserve.

The National Guard EPIC Application – The National Guard Connects with Facebook

National Guard guy tried to get me, but I was already in the Air Force DEP.

National Guard is the National Guard, no real opinion since I've never had to talk to them or deal with them before.

My last assignment was as an active duty advisor to the Reserve Component. We worked mostly with Reserve units but would also periodically work with Guard units. My job was to train Reserve trainers how to organize training exercises and evaluate them.

Generally speaking, I found Guardsmen to be pretty hard-charging, willing to learn, perhaps a little over-enthusiastic but great to work with.

Can't say the same for reservists. As I told my boss one day, "...and here I thought working with Contras was frustrating!"

Do you think the video gives an accurate portrayal of what someone in the Guard would be doing and the amount of effort it takes to succeed?

I like how it doesn't emphasize on one specific part of the Guard, even better that it lets you pick the option you are most interested in. I think getting this application out would be a great push to helping people better understand the military.

Forum List

Back