People who lie to you

agreed-----and if the other person is willing to humbly apologize and explain the betrayal of trust I may give em another shot at it ---or not. :lol:

Depends what it is. I can't think of too many real betrayals I could forgive with just an apology and explanation. Once trust is broken it takes a hell of a lot to restore it - if it ever can be. I'd listen, and I hate to say "never", but I can't see it realistically happening.

Well tell me a deep dark secret and let's see how it works out :lol:

Ohhh, that's a good one! :clap2::clap2:

Everybody lies. Its only the nature of the degree and the situation.

We like some lies - "Yes dear, I love your hairdo," "No, that doesn't make you fat."

Some lies we expect - "This car was driven only by a little old lady on Sundays."

What matters is the nature of the lie and how much it matters. The two are related. So we expect the used car salesman to lie to us but not our loved ones.

Thus, to protect yourself from being hurt by someone who betrays your trust, generally, the more important the situation, the more the other person must work to gain your trust.

And don't make decisions driven by emotion. Its impossible to remove emotion but if you are overwhelmed by emotion when making decisions, you are more likely to make mistakes.

Regarding a potential spouse, don't ever get married within six months of meeting that person. You aren't thinking right because you are overwhelmed by emotions (and probably hormones). Wait some time, probably a few years, before deciding to marry. You are more likely to see the real person the longer you wait.

Depends what it is. I can't think of too many real betrayals I could forgive with just an apology and explanation. Once trust is broken it takes a hell of a lot to restore it - if it ever can be. I'd listen, and I hate to say "never", but I can't see it realistically happening.

Well tell me a deep dark secret and let's see how it works out :lol:

Ohhh, that's a good one! :clap2::clap2:

only in the interest of science of course :cool:

We like some lies - "Yes dear, I love your hairdo," "No, that doesn't make you fat."

Some lies we expect - "This car was driven only by a little old lady on Sundays."

What matters is the nature of the lie and how much it matters. The two are related. So we expect the used car salesman to lie to us but not our loved ones.

Thus, to protect yourself from being hurt by someone who betrays your trust, generally, the more important the situation, the more the other person must work to gain your trust.

And don't make decisions driven by emotion. Its impossible to remove emotion but if you are overwhelmed by emotion when making decisions, you are more likely to make mistakes.

Regarding a potential spouse, don't ever get married within six months of meeting that person. You aren't thinking right because you are overwhelmed by emotions (and probably hormones). Wait some time, probably a few years, before deciding to marry. You are more likely to see the real person the longer you wait.

Yep, exactly Toro.

How about when a parent lies to a child, and tells them they are going to take them to Chucky E. Cheese for their birthday, then never shows up. Let me tell you, that's real fun explaining to a child why their daddy didn't show up.

Or of course there are the lies about where they were the night before, when they didn't come home. Those are always deal breakers, eh?

Some people have lying down to an art.

Yep, exactly Toro.

How about when a parent lies to a child, and tells them they are going to take them to Chucky E. Cheese for their birthday, then never shows up. Let me tell you, that's real fun explaining to a child why their daddy didn't show up.

Or of course there are the lies about where they were the night before, when they didn't come home. Those are always deal breakers, eh?

Had some mighty high expectations, did ya ?

Yep, exactly Toro.

Those are dealbreakers EZ. I removed those people from my life. I'm sorry you cannot.

Yep, exactly Toro.

Yeah, I better get off my high horse now. :rolleyes:

Yep, exactly Toro.

Yeah, I better get off my high horse now. :rolleyes:

naaaaa get it all out of your system :lol:

we all lied or know some one who did. its just human nature to pertect and not hurt the ones they love, or dont care about....

I agree with your statements above. I think writing people off because of one lie is unrealistic. And expecting that people you care about will never lie to you,or never break your trust at some point/in some way is an unrealistic expectation...people are bound to make mistakes. It's the nature of the lie,and actual intent behind it that I would have take into consideration before making any kind of judgement.

Yep, exactly Toro.

Wow! That's harsh. There was poem with the line "A promise made is a debt unpaid."

Kids don't know about schedules and time crunch or anything else. It's only you promised. Especially to a kid, your kid, a promise is sacred.

Yep, exactly Toro.

Being where you say you're gonna be when you say you're gonna be there?

That's not expecting much.

Last edited:
We have a commercial running here...a bunch of dudes playing basketball, a Championship basketball game...the ball got knocked out of bounds, the rep called it on going out via the hand of one team, but a player of the other team really knocked it out...and this player FESSED UP and said, "I touched the Ball" and all of his fellow players came down on him, really nasty and hard...saying, what the heck are you doing telling the TRUTH, basically....

But the kid told the truth and stuck by it, even against peer pressure....

Then in the end, the kid's coach told him, that he did the right thing, and thanked him...

and a voice over came on saying something like, "There is more to SPORTS than just winning...."

I was surprised that there had to be a TV commercial/ad TO TEACH young adults that telling the TRUTH was important, more important than winning a Sports game and part of sportsmanship...

Perhaps because we know we all lie, we are giving Lying a break, that it doesn't deserve.... :(

We should always try to strive to tell the truth and should teach our offspring such imo...

I'm glad to here there is an ad like that. My nephew's youth hockey coach told the kids he was going to sneak a kid who had been banned from the next game for fighting on the ice into the next game by having him wear the jersey of another team player. He claimed it was a white lie since the team wasn't contenders of any sort for the championship. So not only did this coach teach the kids that cheating and lying is okay, he taught them that attacking another kid with your hockey stick is okay too.

o please....one lie and your done...who the hell do you people talk to ....or live with or deal with???

people lie to me daily..people i live with..people i work with....hell my friends....minor lies to major lies...we got them all...

i wished i lived in the world where you could just write people off...so easily.....

Raise your standards. Change your principles.

hell i am going shopping yesterday...lie 1, "we will get an early start" lie 2, "i will be there between 10 am and 10:15 am"...are those not lies?

Those aren't lies, those are scheduling issues.

We have a commercial running here...a bunch of dudes playing basketball, a Championship basketball game...the ball got knocked out of bounds, the rep called it on going out via the hand of one team, but a player of the other team really knocked it out...and this player FESSED UP and said, "I touched the Ball" and all of his fellow players came down on him, really nasty and hard...saying, what the heck are you doing telling the TRUTH, basically....

But the kid told the truth and stuck by it, even against peer pressure....

Then in the end, the kid's coach told him, that he did the right thing, and thanked him...

and a voice over came on saying something like, "There is more to SPORTS than just winning...."

I was surprised that there had to be a TV commercial/ad TO TEACH young adults that telling the TRUTH was important, more important than winning a Sports game and part of sportsmanship...

Perhaps because we know we all lie, we are giving Lying a break, that it doesn't deserve.... :(

We should always try to strive to tell the truth and should teach our offspring such imo...

I'm glad to here there is an ad like that. My nephew's youth hockey coach told the kids he was going to sneak a kid who had been banned from the next game for fighting on the ice into the next game by having him wear the jersey of another team player. He claimed it was a white lie since the team wasn't contenders of any sort for the championship. So not only did this coach teach the kids that cheating and lying is okay, he taught them that attacking another kid with your hockey stick is okay too.

He is unethical, a cheater, a poor role model, and a liar. He is a poor coach.

Forum List

Back