People who lie to you

I'm sure we've all been lied to by people we thought we could trust.

I try to give someone one more chance if they've lied to me, if there is a good reason behind it. But...........if it happens more than once, then it's hard for me to trust them again.

What are your thoughts about being lied to by someone you trust?

If it's your child or a member of your family, I'm not saying it might be either, but they lie for any number of reasons. I don't take trust away for that, I'd rather keep lines of communication open.

I try to find out what is up and will work for a long time to fix it.

Other people in general, I may continue the relationship or walk away.

I was married to the world's biggest liar. I didn't find out about all of the lies until after I was married and had a little baby, but then I said, "Enough!" and left his lying ass.

Being lied to by someone you THOUGHT you could trust with your life is the worst. And it's hard to trust others again.

I work on the theory that all men are lying SOBs. That way I am never disappointed.
Why just men? Have you never been lied to by a woman?

One strike and you're out. Trick me once, your fault...trick me twice, my fault.

If you tell one lie to a friend, you will tell another. Once you lie, you are a liar. Telling lie's is never a good thing to do....unless of course it's the wife asking if the dress makes her look fat! :lol:

Hey asaratis, the trick me once line is close but this is the real saying.:razz:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovQj9vNq8I&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovQj9vNq8I&feature=related[/ame]

I would still rather Bush than Osamaba.
Yeah, Bush did have a brainfart on that occasion...like Obama and the 57 states. I'd rather have anybody other than any one of the three that would be President sequentially should something happen to the first in-line for the next three years.

I try to give someone one more chance if they've lied to me, if there is a good reason behind it. But...........if it happens more than once, then it's hard for me to trust them again.

I think Shakespeare said it best:

Trust not him that hath once broken faith; he who betrayed thee once, will betray thee again.
- Shakespeare.
More shortly put; "One strike and you're out!"

To thine own self be true.--WS

For the record, yea, women are equally as bad as men. I tend to trust completely only those that are related to me by blood.

Holy shit, CG! To each his - or her - own, but that sounds like an awfully small way to live. Trust has to be earned of course, but to be so bitter and closed off to even that possibility especially at your age is to miss out on a big chunk of life. Ah well, it's your life!

There are lies of omission and lies of commission; white lies and mean spirited lies, hateful lies and self serving lies. All lies betray trust, but the unassailable truth about a lie, it can in a moment destroy the credibility of its author for ever.
See Colin Powell and his moment before the UN for evidence.

See Obama and the Democrats for a more recent example.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

they trust that liar emphatically! and that's the truff!

There are so many way to lie.
Lies of commission, direct deception, convenient memory lapses, white lies, parsing words .

Measured against a truth you are willing to believe, and the lies you will tell yourself, they don't stand a chance.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...QoADAA&usg=AFQjCNElnyjslXlDs1KaIvjwf92dos_Zyw

Elvis Costello Harpies Bizarre lyrics

He selects the plainest face form a spiteful row of girls
Elegant insulted women, a flaw of cultured pearls
He drops a name or two, she fails to catch
At last he's met his match
Unspoiled and unaffected, he wants her so much
She puts up half-hearted resistance, like she was taught to do
She's heard some of those small town playboys but this is something new
His promise seems dangerous, she'd like to believe
He says You'd better leave
You've only got yourself to blame, shame, or deceive
The waiting lines are long
They never get too far
Everyone wearing that medal with pride
Harpies Bizarre
I looked on but hesitated
I failed to interrupt
You're so hard to tell the truth to
So easy to corrupt
I'll memorize your face
Your tragic smile
The hurt look in your eyes
As you betrayed yourself to the part of him that dies
The waiting lines are long
They never get too far
They're shining up their shoes to kick a falling star
You think you should be somebody
But you don't know who you are
Everyone wearing that medal with pride
Harpies Bizarre

Last edited:

One and done.

For the record, yea, women are equally as bad as men. I tend to trust completely only those that are related to me by blood.

Guaranteed that they've lied to you, too, whether you want to admit it or not. It may have been a small, insignificant (to you) lie, but they've lied nonetheless.

Anyone that states they've never lied, or have never been lied to is lying.

Period.

o please....one lie and your done...who the hell do you people talk to ....or live with or deal with???

people lie to me daily..people i live with..people i work with....hell my friends....minor lies to major lies...we got them all...

i wished i lived in the world where you could just write people off...so easily.....

hell i am going shopping yesterday...lie 1, "we will get an early start" lie 2, "i will be there between 10 am and 10:15 am"...are those not lies?

o please....one lie and your done...who the hell do you people talk to ....or live with or deal with???

people lie to me daily..people i live with..people i work with....hell my friends....minor lies to major lies...we got them all...

i wished i lived in the world where you could just write people off...so easily.....

Agreed. This issue seems to come up a lot with the OP, especially with a certain individual who allegedly lied years ago. What are these lies specifically? Are they really that bad? Is the OP blameless in all of this? Putting yourself on the moral high-ground is easy as long as you don't look in the mirror.

ok.

Would we live in a "better world" if people did not lie, or have to lie?

Would you want to live in a world without deceit?

Could you live in a world without deceit or deceivers?

Guaranteed that they've lied to you, too, whether you want to admit it or not. It may have been a small, insignificant (to you) lie, but they've lied nonetheless.

Anyone that states they've never lied, or have never been lied to is lying.

Period.

Absolutely. Follow the 10% bullshit rule in most situations and you're probably doing all right. But while courtesy even sometimes demands a white lie or an occasional tall tale and everyone does it, not everybody betrays trust. There's a big difference.

ok.

Would we live in a "better world" if people did not lie, or have to lie?

Would you want to live in a world without deceit?

Could you live in a world without deceit or deceivers?

Wow, that's a good question. It depends what you consider "deceit" I guess.

Would I want to live in a world where everyone was 100% absolutely brutally honest about everything, all the time? I'm not sure any of us could handle that!

Holy shit, CG! To each his - or her - own, but that sounds like an awfully small way to live. Trust has to be earned of course, but to be so bitter and closed off to even that possibility especially at your age is to miss out on a big chunk of life. Ah well, it's your life!

Why assume I'm bitter? I am realistic. I miss out on nothing - I just don't get disappointed by people.... assume the worst, never be disappointed.

Forum List

Back