People don't care about the environment that much

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avatar4321, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,203
  2. ProudDem

ProudDem Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Avatar. Do you care about the environment? I must admit that I really never thought about it until I met my husband. He does environmental enforcement for the Dept. of Justice, and I hear all about violations of the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, CERCLA, etc. Coal-fired power plants will emit carbon dioxide, which has been scientifically shown to increase the number of children who develop asthma and causes premature death in 10s of thousands of people (I forget the number).

I know you support Bush, and I don't believe that I am being biased when I say that he is one of the worst environmental presidents we have had. His father was more environmental friendly than W is.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    The environwacko movement is composed primarily of people who just hate business, freedom, and America.

4. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Environmentalism has cost this country more than most people realize. All this complaining lately about gasoline prices and yet many leftwing thinkers won't admit that environmentalism is the cause of all these high prices. So rather than looking for new oil sources and allowing new refineries to be built in order to increase our supply and thus lower our independence on terrorist regimes and therefore lower prices, envrionmentalists would rather us create stiffer regulations on the already ridiculous policies we have. I don't exactly know what they are thinking in their heads but if stiffer regulations are enforced it only creates a further monopoly on the companies that can afford to pump the oil and those that can't. Therefore we become even further dependant on foreign oil and led into more "wars for Oil" as the left likes to espouse.

Here's some infor for you.

America's oil refining industry is being strangled by environmental regulations.
    http://www.ncpa.org/pi/enviro/envpd/pdenv31.html

Electric Vehicles Aren't Earth Friendly
    http://www.ncpa.org/pd/pdenv42.html

Regulation Increases Risks
    http://www.ncpa.org/studies/s137.html

Just some food for thought there. Envrionmentalism is NOT a good thing. IT has caused more damage to ourselves and the envrionment by slowing our technological progress and preventing us from advancing as a society.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    First, I realize you just can't help saying "Bush is the worst ...." In actuality though, he is no worse than any other President except perhaps Jimmy Carter, and he was such a swell guy.

Second, I think both extremes on the issue should be launched into outer space, and let the moderate people with some common sense make the rules.

People care about the environment, just not enough to stymie an entire nation to save one fish. On the other side, you have unscrupulous corporations who would gladly dump toxic waste into the environment to save 20 cents. One side is completely self-serving while the other would bring the progress of mankind to a screeching halt.

We need to use the environment to ur advantage while doing the best we can within reason to protect it from needless destruction.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This country is becoming one endless strip mall. Do you really think the US is more appealing now than it was 150 years ago in an aesthetic sense?
    :lame2: :lame2: :lame2:

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Ever see some of the old pictures of the silver mines out west in the time period you reference? or the gold mines? nothing like a river of mercury flowing down a mountainside to picque your purient interests, eh?

How about some pics of the Harlem River at the height of the industrial revolution? or any river in New England for that matter.

The point is, this country has had environmental concerns since the first settler stepped foot ashore. It is easy to say that the pastoral scenes portrayed 150 years ago are "better" than what we see today.

There has to be a balance here someplace.

8. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Some good points here. Personally I think the greatest guaranteed threats to America in this century (exempting terrorism, because we don't know how that will turn out) are traffic/transportation/gridlock and sprawl. Those are both environmental issues. If we don't deal with them in a responsible and yes, environmentally friendly, way we will be fucked. Just think of how much worse traffic has gotten in your lifetime and amplify it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Regarding sprawl. Currently I am living in Milwaukee. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's heading south to Chicago there were distinct cities (Racine, Kenosha) with countryside in between. Now it's unrelenting strip malls and fast food joints. Heading west towards Madison, same story. That's just ugly!

9. ProudDem

ProudDem Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Gunny, I like your idea. When I said Bush was the worst, I was solely talking about his environmental policies. I would be surprised if you or anyone could prove otherwise.

I know what you're saying about saving animals--my concern about the environment is in the air pollution and what kind of effect is has on HUMANS.

Avenger, not everyone who is pro-environment isn't against business, as usually what the companies are doing it attempting to cut corners to save themselves money, as opposed to worrying about what kind of an effect is has on humans. It's like the tobacco company. They don't care about your health--they care about making money.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Do you realize there is more harvestable timberland NOW than there was 100 years ago?

You claim he's 'the worst' yet you don't have data to back that up? Why not at least be HONEST. Say something like this:

"I'm not sure what policies GWB has supported/enacted that adversly affect the environment, so I'll just say I'm not aware of any specific protect-the-environment-type policies since he became president"